Jeep Apologists

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
So, at the risk of upsetting...well pretty much everyone...who else will admit to being a Jeep apologist?

To explain, I do love my JL, I love how it handles the snow, I love how it looks, I like the utilitarian vibe, I tell people how good it is...but in my heart I also know that it really should be better. Sure there are compromises which are to be expected - it's not going to ride or steer as well as other cars because it has a ladder chassis and live axles, it's going to be noisier if it has a removable top etc...these are all fair compromises for a car which is so capable off road and that you can take the doors and roof off etc. Fuel consumption is going to be bad if it has the shape of a brick - fair enough.

But what really frustrates me are the things which really should be better. The software in the entertainment/navigation system is a joke, these things shouldn't crash and have bugs like this. The death wobble has no place on a modern car (don't tell me it's inevitable because it has live solid axles, the Mercedes G glass has these and no death wobble). Cracking windscreens, leaky roof panels, poor chassis welding etc...it's just plain wrong. It just gives off the feeling that the engineers, production and designers took the view that just about good enough was all they needed to do rather than actually put the effort, care, engineering and work in to make it a really good car, the car it should be.

So I'll hold my hand up - I'm a Jeep apologist, I say it's great but in my heart I know that really it should be better than it is.
Sponsored

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
My JL is quite an improvement over my 2012 JK!

Infotainment software bugs? Nope
Death wobble: None
Cracking "windscreens"? Huh?
Leaky roof panels? Not on my JL
Poor chassis welds? Nada...

You're experiencing all of these issues with yours, or just spouting off issues that others have had? If so, sounds like you have yourself a lemon.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR

You're experiencing all of these issues with yours, or just spouting off issues that others have had? If so, sounds like you have yourself a lemon.
I'm on this side of the fence - I have none of these issues.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP

I'm on this side of the fence - I have none of these issues.
I am guessing they do not get driven much.

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Basically what happens when there is no competition.

Thankfully, I don't have any major issues so far (took delivery June, 2018 and have about 5K miles on it - not my daily driver). My Jeep does have the drip rail issue that seemingly everyone else has. Pain in the ass if I happen to be in work clothes. How anyone thought that was a passable design is beyond me.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I am guessing they do not get driven much.
It's been my daily driver since delivery (only vehicle I own except a motorcycle) - just a bit over 3K miles so far.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
So, at the risk of upsetting...well pretty much everyone...who else will admit to being a Jeep apologist?

To explain, I do love my JL, I love how it handles the snow, I love how it looks, I like the utilitarian vibe, I tell people how good it is...but in my heart I also know that it really should be better. Sure there are compromises which are to be expected - it's not going to ride or steer as well as other cars because it has a ladder chassis and live axles, it's going to be noisier if it has a removable top etc...these are all fair compromises for a car which is so capable off road and that you can take the doors and roof off etc. Fuel consumption is going to be bad if it has the shape of a brick - fair enough.

But what really frustrates me are the things which really should be better. The software in the entertainment/navigation system is a joke, these things shouldn't crash and have bugs like this. The death wobble has no place on a modern car (don't tell me it's inevitable because it has live solid axles, the Mercedes G glass has these and no death wobble). Cracking windscreens, leaky roof panels, poor chassis welding etc...it's just plain wrong. It just gives off the feeling that the engineers, production and designers took the view that just about good enough was all they needed to do rather than actually put the effort, care, engineering and work in to make it a really good car, the car it should be.

So I'll hold my hand up - I'm a Jeep apologist, I say it's great but in my heart I know that really it should be better than it is.
Yeah I literally have zero of those issues.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
These things you speak of are bit of a drop in the bucket compared to the big picture, in other words it’s a small percentage of problematic issues, it’s a new model year, it’s to be expected. What I can’t stand, and is driving me absolutely nuts is you keep calling it a car. ITS NOT A CAR!!!
:)
Sponsored