Jeep Cares (HAHAHAHA) Really Jeep.....

Gregicon

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Seems to me the aftermarket should step in and make serious cash by providing something better than FCA does to eliminate this problem. OP has installed 3 different FCA steering boxes without success IIRC....doesn't someone in the aftermarket make them also?
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Seems to me the aftermarket should step in and make serious cash by providing something better than FCA does to eliminate this problem. OP has installed 3 different FCA steering boxes without success IIRC....doesn't someone in the aftermarket make them also?
Something to consider is the “serious cash” aspect.

there are clearly some Jeep owners who report having steering problems. But it’s not all 750,000 JLs on the road. It’s a small subset. How many? IDK. 1%?, 2%?, 5%? Making a new steering box will take a lot of time, cost, and engineering. If your maximum market is say,10,000 units..... it might not be worth it — especially if there are multiple competitors......

separately, PSC has a kit right now. All but one person on this board who has tried it report that it works. But, it isn’t cheap or easy to install. Will more players come into this market with comprehensive kits designed not just to target a seemingly small audience with steering issues but a larger audience wanting to really be able to tweak steering? Maybe. Will there be multiple vendors only trying to build a new steering box to fix the “steering issue”? I doubt it.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Something to consider is the “serious cash” aspect.

there are clearly some Jeep owners who report having steering problems. But it’s not all 750,000 JLs on the road. It’s a small subset. How many? IDK. 1%?, 2%?, 5%? Making a new steering box will take a lot of time, cost, and engineering. If your maximum market is say,10,000 units..... it might not be worth it — especially if there are multiple competitors......

separately, PSC has a kit right now. All but one person on this board who has tried it report that it works. But, it isn’t cheap or easy to install. Will more players come into this market with comprehensive kits designed not just to target a seemingly small audience with steering issues but a larger audience wanting to really be able to tweak steering? Maybe. Will there be multiple vendors only trying to build a new steering box to fix the “steering issue”? I doubt it.
I wanna say there was some on here who didn't think the PSC kit was worth the money as well. I can't remember who. but he claimed its still wasn't perfect. Who knows.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Seriously ? My whole sentence went right over your head ! :facepalm: I don't know about that Bucks County school system !

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

That makes ALOT of sense. I’m assuming those modifications were done because you had the mopar lift installed?

I learned the very hard way time ago that if I have even the slightest bit of uncertainty that if I do x mod, it may result in an undesirable y handling characteristic and that replacing a, b and c components may help but will not remedy the problem... I don’t do it.

That being said, I feel reassured to know that Jeep is releasing their JPP20 that now will have the 2” mopar lift installed at a nearby facility. Jeep seems to have improved their kit and recent forum members who’ve installed it on their wranglers report no significant issues.
Unfortunately, Jeeps doesn't consider Mopar parts any different than Teraflex or any other third party manufacturer. If the parts did not come on the Jeep from the factory, you will get no support from Jeep.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Too funny.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
I have a 2020 jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon That I have installed the 3.5 teraflex lift kit with the Tera Flex 3.3 adjustable shocks , the Tera Flex adjustable control arm (IR) kit ,steer smart pro front adjustable track bar , rear metal cloak adjustable track bar , Steer Smart Drag Link Bar ,Teraflex adjustable steering stabilizer(the expensive one) and with 37*13.50*20 tires/rims . I am having the wondering wheel problem where the jeep is wondering from one side to the other it doesn't want to go strait all the time mostly at 30 and up and on curvy roads, bumps don't effect it too much . Just to clarify the roads do not have the ruts in them to grab the tires that is totally unavoidable. ANY HELP PLEASE the dealership is totally lost they have replaced the steering box 3 times to the newest on that ends in AE and I they replaced the tie rod assembly (it's stock ) It also has about 2 inches of what I call dead space in the wheel so you over correct a lot .
I responded to your other thread but i hope you know those 13.50 x 20 are literally shit for driving. Super wide and not a lot of sidewall to forgive your “ corrections” . You literally picked the worst possible tire rim size combo for what you are describing. You need completely different toe specs for that setup. Honestly should probably be running heads up. Furthermore - setting a suspension - each component you change effects the rest of the system. Tires and rims are a part of suspension! And you can not use factory specs with all the different mods you did. Whoever installed all that shit and didn't make sure everything was set right is not cool. Hodge podge of different component designers. Thats stacking tolerance. Id say put your stock tires back on and see what happens but with yr new track bar and your drag angle yr steering is funky just from that.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, Jeeps doesn't consider Mopar parts any different than Teraflex or any other third party manufacturer. If the parts did not come on the Jeep from the factory, you will get no support from Jeep.
Yes, this has been my experience as well. My local Jeep dealer refused to warrant my last JKUR because it had been "modified." No matter that everything on it was "Mopar."

In my case it wasn't that Jeep considered Mopar parts the same as Teraflex; the dealer did. But FCA didn't lift a finger, so in the end it is all the same.

After that experience I don't bother buying Mopar parts any more, because it doesn't make one bit of difference.

Whenever I see all those Easter Safari concept Jeeps loaded with Mopar accessories I go "Pfft, yeah right..."

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The Jeep cares stuff does not surprise me. I’m surprise the OP was not banned or this thread wasn’t locked down.

Sponsored

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
From my personal experience, everyone of the posts above is correct:
  1. Many JLs do have a wonky steering. I don’t know the exact number, but from a dozen JLs I drove, I’d say a good one-third steered like shit.
  2. Even after 3 model years, FCA still hasn’t come up with a sure fix for those who got a JL with a crummy steering.
  3. As far as I can tell, all FCA cares about is selling units and making a quick profit, that is it. Once you buy one of their vehicles, you are pretty much on your own.
  4. Jeep dealers are mostly useless, even more so when it comes to fixing this steering issue.
  5. If your Jeep came with a crummy steering, modifying it risks taking you deeper into a rabbit hole.
I feel for the OP. I got burned by my local Jeep dealer with my prior Wrangler: it wouldn’t warrant a $52,000 JKUR Recon, with thousands of dollars in MOPAR accessories, because it had been “modified.” And FCA allowed them to get away with it.

It was a very expensive lesson. But the fact is I love Wranglers.

So these are the lessons I learned:
  1. BE VERY CAREFUL before buying a JL. Test drive very well before buying one. If you don’t like how it drives, DONT BUY IT!
  2. DO NOT BELIEVE THE DEALER when he promises that they will fix the steering after you buy it. There’s enough evidence on these forums that that’s not going to happen. FCA either doesn’t care or doesn’t know how to fix the problem. And dealers won’t do anything more
  3. DON’T START MODIFYING your JL until you have driven it for awhile and are completely satisfied with the way it drives
Unfortunately, none of these helps the OP at this point. The only thing I can suggest is what has already been proposed: bring the Jeep back to stock form and re-assess. If at that point you like how it drives then keep it stock. If it doesn’t, then see what your options are at that point. None of this is going to be be easy, cheap or painless.

We have to be very careful with FCA, with its dealers, and with JLs coming out of the factories, before we go spending too much money.

Best of luck.
How is a dealer useless if the manufacturer has no fix for a problem that may or may not exist?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
How is a dealer useless if the manufacturer has no fix for a problem that may or may not exist?
You seem to be implying that thousands of JL owners are simply imagining that their JLs drive like crap. Which seems to be the line FCA is taking.

Everyone has choice, even dealers. They can treat their customers with the attention and respect that they deserve, even if FCA hasn't come up with a fix, or they can make a half-ass attempt to address the issue and tell their customers to take a hike.

Ultimately it is FCA's --and it's dealers-- prerogative to dismiss customers. But then they can't complain when sales fall because the word gets out that Jeeps drive poorly and FCA won't do anything about it.

FCA is already adding all sorts of incentives to prop up Wrangler sales, so I can't imagine things internally are looking all that rosy.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
You seem to be implying that thousands of JL owners are simply imagining that their JLs drive like crap. Which seems to be the line FCA is taking.

Everyone has choice, even dealers. They can treat their customers with the attention and respect that they deserve, even if FCA hasn't come up with a fix, or they can make a half-ass attempt to address the issue and tell their customers to take a hike.

Ultimately it is FCA's --and it's dealers-- prerogative to dismiss customers. But then they can't complain when sales fall because the word gets out that Jeeps drive poorly and FCA won't do anything about it.

FCA is already adding all sorts of incentives to prop up Wrangler sales, so I can't imagine things internally are looking all that rosy.
Nope , JLs all do drive like crap. 33’s inflated to 38psi, solid axles, short whee base... they drive like shit. Its a tolerance level difference between people. Go drive a dodge ram and then get back i to a JL ... tell me how u feel about the driving on the highway between the 2

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Nope , JLs all do drive like crap. 33’s inflated to 38psi, solid axles, short whee base... they drive like shit. Its a tolerance level difference between people. Go drive a dodge ram and then get back i to a JL ... tell me how u feel about the driving on the highway between the 2
This is the 9th Jeep Wrangler I have owned in 12 years. I have owned 2-door and 4-door, Rubicons and Saharas, manual and automatic, stock and lifted, 32, 33, 34 and 35 inch tires. So I know what Wranglers drive like. None of them drove like shit right out of the lot.

For the record: my JL drives fine, but I test drove several that didn't.
Sponsored