OP

20JL Rubi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
The bottom line is , put the Jeep lift aside because multiple dealers , Service Jeep managers & off road professionals have drove my Jeep and told me the same answer that we know that the faulty part is the steering box but we don’t have a resolution at this time .
Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
The bottom line is , put the Jeep lift aside because multiple dealers , Service Jeep managers & off road professionals have drove my Jeep and told me the same answer that we know that the faulty part is the steering box but we don’t have a resolution at this time .
I was servicing my sports car and ran into a guy that was into highly modified Jeeps, he had a JK version and stated he had about $30-40k invested and asked me if I was going to heavily modify mine, then he said if you are going to make it a dedicated off-road vehicle go for it, if not, don't do it they never ride and handle like you want them to after the modifications every change will lead to something else that needs to be replaced...

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I keep hearing the Jeep steering box and components are all bad (this case has a much more harsh message!) either in stock form or post mods. The way most of these issues are explained one would think the message being conveyed is that ALL Jeep's have unfixable steering issues.
We'll I can verify that the above facts are erroneous! I would classify my steering certainly as different than that of what is said to be a comparable vehicle. Mine has 38,000 on it. MetalCloak 3.5 game changer, w6paks, 35's and stock steering dampener. One handed driving at any speed is trouble free. Fact is, I don't know any modern day comparable vehicle. A vehicle with a solid live front axle will steer differently than one without whatever steering components come with or that you put on it.
The fact that Jeep knows that and many Jeep buyers these days do not know that or refuse to understand that may explain the conflict. Soon enough Jeep will go the way of IFS with rack and pinion steering. It will fix most of the Jeep wandering issues yes, but the more sought after advantages with the solid axle will be lost.
Glad to own one before Jeep gets tired of the conflict and caves!

Last edited:

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
...and asked me if I was going to heavily modify mine, then he said if you are going to make it a dedicated off-road vehicle go for it, if not, don't do it they never ride and handle like you want them to after the modifications every change will lead to something else that needs to be replaced...
This quote deserves its own thread specifically because it is antithetical, in some ways, to these forums. People who are not off-roaders need to understand this. Everyone should have fun and do what they want with the cars and trucks they bought. But they should understand that cars, jeeps and trucks are all built by engineers. Steering, brakes, suspension and every component of the car is affected by mods. It seems like 90% of the people here know what they're doing and are avid off-roaders. I feel like there should be a warning for the suburbanite who thinks big wheels with treads look cool. I wonder if the dealerships who sell modified jeeps have to make issue some sort of a disclosure. (No, I am not talking about side steps)

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
This is an over simplification but when things go right, no one says anything. When things go wrong, people complain. There are lots of different reasons for people coming to these forums and posting but I would never consider this forum to be an accurate representation of the population of JL Wrangler owners. Too many silent people out there enjoying their rigs, stock and modified, and not jumping on this forum to browse, post or complain.

Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Sucks that people are having these issues, best of luck to those struggling with this issue. Jeeps are truly awesome to drive. I’d like to report that my Jeep drove great before mods and still drives great. This is my first Jeep vehicle, I love it, only thing I’d add is a LS engine under the hood, but that’s just me. Otherwise, I’m very happy.

8192A821-48B2-4E62-AF56-F1AAE18DA467.gif

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
From my personal experience, everyone of the posts above is correct:
  1. Many JLs do have a wonky steering. I don’t know the exact number, but from a dozen JLs I drove, I’d say a good one-third steered like shit.
  2. Even after 3 model years, FCA still hasn’t come up with a sure fix for those who got a JL with a crummy steering.
  3. As far as I can tell, all FCA cares about is selling units and making a quick profit, that is it. Once you buy one of their vehicles, you are pretty much on your own.
  4. Jeep dealers are mostly useless, even more so when it comes to fixing this steering issue.
  5. If your Jeep came with a crummy steering, modifying it risks taking you deeper into a rabbit hole.
I feel for the OP. I got burned by my local Jeep dealer with my prior Wrangler: it wouldn’t warrant a $52,000 JKUR Recon, with thousands of dollars in MOPAR accessories, because it had been “modified.” And FCA allowed them to get away with it.

It was a very expensive lesson. But the fact is I love Wranglers.

So these are the lessons I learned:
  1. BE VERY CAREFUL before buying a JL. Test drive very well before buying one. If you don’t like how it drives, DONT BUY IT!
  2. DO NOT BELIEVE THE DEALER when he promises that they will fix the steering after you buy it. There’s enough evidence on these forums that that’s not going to happen. FCA either doesn’t care or doesn’t know how to fix the problem. And dealers won’t do anything more
  3. DON’T START MODIFYING your JL until you have driven it for awhile and are completely satisfied with the way it drives
Unfortunately, none of these helps the OP at this point. The only thing I can suggest is what has already been proposed: bring the Jeep back to stock form and re-assess. If at that point you like how it drives then keep it stock. If it doesn’t, then see what your options are at that point. None of this is going to be be easy, cheap or painless.

We have to be very careful with FCA, with its dealers, and with JLs coming out of the factories, before we go spending too much money.

Best of luck.

Gkatnh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Green '99 WJ; White '18 JLUR
From my personal experience, everyone of the posts above is correct:
  1. Many JLs do have a wonky steering. I don’t know the exact number, but from a dozen JLs I drove, I’d say a good one-third steered like shit.
  2. Even after 3 model years, FCA still hasn’t come up with a sure fix for those who got a JL with a crummy steering.
  3. As far as I can tell, all FCA cares about is selling units and making a quick profit, that is it. Once you buy one of their vehicles, you are pretty much on your own.
  4. Jeep dealers are mostly useless, even more so when it comes to fixing this steering issue.
  5. If your Jeep came with a crummy steering, modifying it risks taking you deeper into a rabbit hole.
I feel for the OP. I got burned by my local Jeep dealer with my prior Wrangler: it wouldn’t warrant a $52,000 JKUR Recon, with thousands of dollars in MOPAR accessories, because it had been “modified.” And FCA allowed them to get away with it.

It was a very expensive lesson. But the fact is I love Wranglers.

So these are the lessons I learned:
  1. BE VERY CAREFUL before buying a JL. Test drive very well before buying one. If you don’t like how it drives, DONT BUY IT!
  2. DO NOT BELIEVE THE DEALER when he promises that they will fix the steering after you buy it. There’s enough evidence on these forums that that’s not going to happen. FCA either doesn’t care or doesn’t know how to fix the problem. And dealers won’t do anything more
  3. DON’T START MODIFYING your JL until you have driven it for awhile and are completely satisfied with the way it drives
Unfortunately, none of these helps the OP at this point. The only thing I can suggest is what has already been proposed: bring the Jeep back to stock form and re-assess. If at that point you like how it drives then keep it stock. If it doesn’t, then see what your options are at that point. None of this is going to be be easy, cheap or painless.

We have to be very careful with FCA, with its dealers, and with JLs coming out of the factories, before we go spending too much money.

Best of luck.
This is probably the most sound advice any new wrangler owner (or prospective owner) can be given.

I promised the wife that suspension would stay stock for the first year. I’ve just hit 18 months since I keep flipping between 35” and 37”... and now I’ve convinced myself I might as well wait until my tires are in need of change. No regrets, as more choices have come to market and I’ve had the chance to see pros and cons to some of the lifts friends have installed.

To be honest, I’ve made it to 18 months because in most of my wheeling journeys, my comfort level and abilities were the weakest link. It’s been through mud and roots in the pacific NW, rocks in NorCA, and the dunes at Pismo. Short of crawling over boulders, these rigs are amazingly capable in stock form.

Last edited:

Wranglering

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited
Try this out. There is a bracket that you can purchase from Synergy that is supposed to help with the steering. I attached a link to a YouTube video that shows before and after and how they installed it. Good luck.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Try this out. There is a bracket that you can purchase from Synergy that is supposed to help with the steering. I attached a link to a YouTube video that shows before and after and how they installed it. Good luck.
I had that bracket in mine and it helped some but wasn't a complete fix. Also I'm tired of people saying oh you just don't know how Solid Front Axle vehicles should handle. WRONG! I've had 3 SFA trucks and none were as bad as the 18' JL I had. I'm not even convinced its the Steering components on POST gear box. I think it lies int he programming and the actual Steering - > Gearbox. Theres just so much dead play in there it tricks you into thinking you need move the steering wheel more than you should or the Gearbox is too WEAK for the size and weight of the vehicle.

Sponsored

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler
IN my case and the case of others a lot of the fixes were not out at the time a lot of us upgraded. For example I put a track bar soupport bracket because at the time there was no Trackbar weld recall etc. The steering box was the same. Also the new track bar and steering dampener just came out last fall. So its hard to say why didn't you wait for dealer to fix because at times there is no fix yet.
DEALERS CAN'T EVEN FIX A HEATING ISSUE ON MINE BE THERE 5 TIMES IM GOING LEMON LAW ILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CHRYSLER OR JEEP PRODUCT. DO NOT BUY A WRANGLER!!!

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler JL

THIIISSSSSS! I AGREE 100%.
Sponsored