wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
If our tire mount doesn't work with your friend's setup in a way where it installs how we say it needs to be installed (tire against the carrier) I would recommend that he figures out a way to make it work correctly. If it truly is that much of a hazard (your theoretical minivan carrying a family) then continuing to use it while seeming like a threat on us, is just endangering other motorists. The tire is meant to press against the carrier, not dangle freely. Our mounts are set up to accommodate a MINIMUM of 5" of distance between the wheel mount surface and the outside of the sidewall. So that's right around 3.5" to 4" of actual wheel backspacing. If your friend's mount does not have this capacity then it's somehow incorrect and I would be happy to send him one.

My team says we did offer you a different tailgate mount as well as giving you an updated license plate/camera bracket when you stopped here. Did that not get resolved?

On the metric argument. SAE fasteners are more widely available in America, in more grades, and head styles. We don't do enough volume to source custom fasteners like an OE, so we use primarily SAE and use metric on interfaces to a vehicle where we have to. Most of our install instructions list hardware, so it's not like we are hoodwinking people about this.

How about this, have your friend leave the Jeep at our shop for the day, and I will personally make sure everything is properly installed and replace/fix whatever I need to to make it happen.

~Daryl
Fair enough. I will get with Gary and have him call and schedule it with you.

Update, he is traveling over the holiday weekend and will get with you next week.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
A couple things.

How'd the roof rack issue turn out Eder?
I understand you're not happy with the customer service, but how is the product itself? Did you get the rack installed? If so, how do you like it?

Onto the related spin-off topic. I understand the frustration with having to use different tools, but JCR is an American company so using Imperial fasteners makes sense. Sure it may be frustrating that they don't match the Jeep, but it's not a bad idea to have SAE and Metric tools on the trail/road anyway. You never know who may need a hand and they may have a vehicle which uses the system you're not carrying. Just trying to put a positive spin on it.

As for the loose fitting spare. Does the kit specify it's size range when your buddy bought it? If he is using something that's not within the designed specification (even if it is a popular size), then I can't really fault JCR for not working it out in the parking lot for him. I mean, that would be some stellar customer service if they did, but not doing so isn't really bad service. That said if he's running a size that is specified to fit and he's having issues, they should absolutely resolve it. You shouldn't have to call them out on it on a forum to make it happen either. If that's the case, it's terrible service.

Anyway, my main reason for checking the thread is about the rack.
I'm looking for a low profile rack that doesn't interfere with my Sunrider. JCR's roof rack looks pretty good so I'd like to hear how it is.
Oh yeah, if if there's any sort of forum discount or anything like that I'm all ears (public or via PM).

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Onto the related spin-off topic. I understand the frustration with having to use different tools, but JCR is an American company so using Imperial fasteners makes sense. Sure it may be frustrating that they don't match the Jeep, but it's not a bad idea to have SAE and Metric tools on the trail/road anyway. You never know who may need a hand and they may have a vehicle which uses the system you're not carrying. Just trying to put a positive spin on it.

NO, what make sense is if you are building a product for something that is built with all metric fasteners, you would use metric fastener. It is not 1974 anymore. Almost all manufacturers have moved to metric fasteners. How hard would it be to say order metric fasteners instead of SAE? Literally you can go to almost any hardware store or big box store like Menard's, Lowe's or Home Depot and buy metric fasteners. I would bet that where ever JCR purchases their fasteners, that that place also sells metric.......

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
What companies use metric fasteners? I mentioned many above that don’t, and just yesterday installed a Synergy track bar brace that was a mix of metric and SAE. I agree and wish that they would all move to metric, but I don’t seem to buy parts from any that do???

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
....I would bet that where ever JCR purchases their fasteners, that that place also sells metric.......
I'm sure they do.
I agree it's a small detail that would make the product better.
From a business standpoint though, having to use a specific thread for each vehicle that you sell a product for is a bit of a hassle.
Until releasing the JL, Jeep was using SAE wheel studs (1/2-20 on the JK for example). Now they're metric (M14-1.5). So by keeping vehicle specific, a company would have to start tracking each model year for changes. No it's not difficult in this age of technology and internet, but it is extra work.
It's not hard work, but it can become cumbersome. Besides, it's not just a matter of ordering metric fasteners. They'd also have to order metric taps/dies too, so any parts that are threaded would match too. And yes, the places that sell taps/dies also sell metric so it could be done easy enough. It's just an extra set of supplies to order/track/store. In the end It's easier for a company to pick a size and go with it for all their products.
Anyway, yes it would be nice to match the vehicle, and definitely makes the company look good. I guess you would even say it makes them outshine the competition a bit (at least to some people). I still don't see it as a negative if they don't. After all, EVO, and LOD who are both pretty well received in the Jeep world don't use metric according to 1996cc.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
...I agree and wish that they would all move to metric...
Honestly I wish the USA would switch to the metric system altogether. It is a much easy system to work with, and then we'd be on the same page as nearly every other county in the world.

I mean come on. It's a base 10 system, instead of having to memorize how many units of "X" are in "Y". It complicates things like inches into feet when you have something like 65 inches for example . That's 5'5", but you have to divide it by 12 to get 5.416, which you then have to multiply the .416 by 12 to figure out how many inches remain. That's stupid. If you're working metric and you have 165 cm, you have 1.65 meters. Done, easy peasy. This same problem occurs with every unit like ounces into pounds, teaspoons into cups. The Imperial system is ridiculous,

Anyway, unrelated rant over. I just think we need to go to metric and be done with it already. Then things like having two tool sets will become obsolete, AND we'll be working with the easier system. Win win.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I'm sure they do.
I agree it's a small detail that would make the product better.
From a business standpoint though, having to use a specific thread for each vehicle that you sell a product for is a bit of a hassle.
Until releasing the JL, Jeep was using SAE wheel studs (1/2-20 on the JK for example). Now they're metric (M14-1.5). So by keeping vehicle specific, a company would have to start tracking each model year for changes. No it's not difficult in this age of technology and internet, but it is extra work.
It's not hard work, but it can become cumbersome. Besides, it's not just a matter of ordering metric fasteners. They'd also have to order metric taps/dies too, so any parts that are threaded would match too. And yes, the places that sell taps/dies also sell metric so it could be done easy enough. It's just an extra set of supplies to order/track/store. In the end It's easier for a company to pick a size and go with it for all their products.
Anyway, yes it would be nice to match the vehicle, and definitely makes the company look good. I guess you would even say it makes them outshine the competition a bit (at least to some people). I still don't see it as a negative if they don't. After all, EVO, and LOD who are both pretty well received in the Jeep world don't use metric according to 1996cc.
The JCR rear bumper and tire carrier is about $1900 and is at near or the very top of the cost scale. It is not a $400 dollar Ebay bumper. In my eyes, when you pay the premium price, I expect attention to detail. I would accept none matching wheel studs on an EBay tire carrier. You should get what you pay for. If LOD and EVO does that, I would also be critical of them also.

Take the none matching wheel studs. What is the cost for JCR, maybe a dollor or two for each stud?? Or maybe what is the cost difference between the correct stub that matches the vehicle and what ever they have laying around the shop that they ordered in bulk????? It is probably pennies if any real cost at all. So what does the customer have to do because JCR doesn't pay attention to detail or is unwilling to match the wheel stud. Well the customer has to buy different tools because the tools that came with the Jeep to change a tire will now only get half the job done. Also many people that buy an aftermarket bumper and tire carrier bought it because they have bought expensive wheels and they protect those wheels with special/security lug nuts, well guess what those do not work any more either. So now they have to have two types of security lug nuts and two security lug nut keys. Why because JCR just puts what ever on there tire carrier. Then they have to carry two sets of tools everywhere and keep track of them for the entire lifetime of the vehicle or until they sell it and the next person then has to. Or the customer can just fix it himself. Take a brand new tire carrier and remove the brand new wrong size wheel stud, drive up to Autozone buy correct wheel stud, pound out the wrong size that what supplied by JCR and install the correct size and skip all the hassle of a buying different security lug nuts that will not match what is on the rest of the vehicle and carry multiple tools for a one tool job.

At the end of the day it is three wheel studs that creates a hassle. Literally if I told you, hey I am not going to put the correct size bolt in something that you planned to buy from me because of no real cost difference to me and caused you to do extra stuff of the lifetime of ownership and cause you addition expense, I would expect you to say why not just do it right.

Maybe I am just weird like that.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
What companies use metric fasteners? I mentioned many above that don’t, and just yesterday installed a Synergy track bar brace that was a mix of metric and SAE. I agree and wish that they would all move to metric, but I don’t seem to buy parts from any that do???
I just installed a full set up from Steersmarts, Yeti series. All of their fasteners were metric. Trackbar, draglink, tierod, steering stabalizer, steering box/frame/trackbar brace,....

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
You're absolutely right that the actual cost is minimal. Upfront cost would be slightly more than maintaining both sets of tools and fasteners in their shop, but in the end even that cost wouldn't be excessive. I really don't think it's a matter of cost.
At the end of the day, I would assume they use SAE on everything just because it's easier. You don't have to track which part you used what fasteners on, you don't have to track which vehicle uses what size, and you have half the inventory of tools and fasteners to track. It's simply easier, not really an expense.
For a $1900 product I too would hope a company took the extra effort to match the fasteners with my vehicle, but I certainly wouldn't call it a bad product/company if they didn't. At the high end of the price range for a product I would like to see a little more consumer convenience and/or effort by the company. I can certainly see being upset if the fit and finish are sub-par, but a simple wrench size? That's not really a concern to me. I see your point though, especially if the product is near the higher side of the price range.
That said, maybe I'm the weird one. I carry a tool set that has both Metric and SAE in the same box. It doesn't really bother me if I have to go through both sets in the box to work on one vehicle. It also doesn't bother me about keeping track of them for life because I'm still only keeping track of one tool box. So I have to keep track of where I laid the 10mm wrench, and the 1/2" socket when I put things away (in their designated slot of course). No different than remembering where I set the 3/8" wrench and 1/2" socket. They both go in the same box, so no real inconvenience IMO.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
@eder214 Did you get the mix up resolved? Any feedback on the quality of the roof rack? Does it make a lot of wind noise, is it solid/sturdy?

Sponsored

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
@eder214 Did you get the mix up resolved? Any feedback on the quality of the roof rack? Does it make a lot of wind noise, is it solid/sturdy?
Hopefully he’s out enjoying it, being as it’s July 4th and he said he wanted the rack for a Independence Day vacation.

reldausa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR Billet Silver
I had the exact same thing happened with my order for the JLUR short rack. Waited over a month to receive the incorrect rack. Also received the shorter JT version. Can't believe it happened with more customers from JCR, someone really messed it up. I called them up next day and a week later I received the correct rack. JCR customer service was helpful and answered my emails super quick, I have to give them credit for that. I just finished installing it and although instructions could be a MILLION times better, I am very happy with the rack itself.
Jeep Wrangler JL JCR Roof Rack Initial Bad Impression Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 7.35.12 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL JCR Roof Rack Initial Bad Impression Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 7.35.01 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL JCR Roof Rack Initial Bad Impression Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 7.34.49 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL JCR Roof Rack Initial Bad Impression Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 7.34.39 PM

Gadsden11

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I had the exact same thing happened with my order for the JLUR short rack. Waited over a month to receive the incorrect rack. Also received the shorter JT version. Can't believe it happened with more customers from JCR, someone really messed it up. I called them up next day and a week later I received the correct rack. JCR customer service was helpful and answered my emails super quick, I have to give them credit for that. I just finished installing it and although instructions could be a MILLION times better, I am very happy with the rack itself.
Jeep Wrangler JL JCR Roof Rack Initial Bad Impression Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 7.34.39 PM

The rack looks sharp!! I am glad they made it right for you! Are you happy with it? Fit and finish etc... I have had it in my cart several times and can't pull the trigger based on the wildly differing experiences from their customers.

reldausa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR Billet Silver
The rack looks sharp!! I am glad they made it right for you! Are you happy with it? Fit and finish etc... I have had it in my cart several times and can't pull the trigger based on the wildly differing experiences from their customers.
I am very happy so far. fit is very good, just make sure to leave everything loose until you have it on the roof leveled. Finish looks good too, but not sure if it will scratch easily as I haven't mounted anything yet. I really like how low profile it is, it sits snug on the roof, not having to drill the roof was a big plus for me, but im not looking to mount anything heavy on it either.

Gadsden11

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Thanks @reldausa
It definitely checks all the boxes for me also. I don't need crazy load capacity and the low profile is great.
Sponsored