JCR Roof Rack Initial Bad Impression

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I am very happy so far. fit is very good, just make sure to leave everything loose until you have it on the roof leveled. Finish looks good too, but not sure if it will scratch easily as I haven't mounted anything yet. I really like how low profile it is, it sits snug on the roof, not having to drill the roof was a big plus for me, but im not looking to mount anything heavy on it either.
Outstanding. Thanks for the photos and follow-up details. I pretty much have the same list of wants for the rack. Snug to the roof, no drilling into the hardtop, and it has to work with my Sunrider. This ticks all the boxes.

As for durability. Is it anodized aluminum, powder coated, or just paint? If it's anodized it should hold up pretty well.

Any wind noise from it? I'm concerned that the slots on the side, and those sharp corners on the brackets may cause some whistling. Maybe not though, I haven't looked at how the wind flows over the roof (various speeds) to see if they'll be affected or not.
Sponsored

reldausa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR Billet Silver
Outstanding. Thanks for the photos and follow-up details. I pretty much have the same list of wants for the rack. Snug to the roof, no drilling into the hardtop, and it has to work with my Sunrider. This ticks all the boxes.

As for durability. Is it anodized aluminum, powder coated, or just paint? If it's anodized it should hold up pretty well.

Any wind noise from it? I'm concerned that the slots on the side, and those sharp corners on the brackets may cause some whistling. Maybe not though, I haven't looked at how the wind flows over the roof (various speeds) to see if they'll be affected or not.
It's powder coated. Hopefully it holds up.
So far no wind noise or whistling. I'll test it on highway speeds later today and report back. Since it's so low profile and snug to the roof I really doubt it will affect wind flow over the roof.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
That's what I was hoping. Not only does the low profile look better, but it shouldn't mess with air flow too much either. Thanks for the response, and I look forward to hearing how it sounds on the freeway (no hurry though).

OP
OP
eder214

eder214

First Name
Eder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@eder214 Did you get the mix up resolved? Any feedback on the quality of the roof rack? Does it make a lot of wind noise, is it solid/sturdy?
Sorry for not replying sooner. I just got back into town last night from my trip. As Daryl mention in an earlier post. I did speak to Chris. JCR did not have a rack in stock to ship so they are rushing on fabricating a new rack. They are suppose to ship it today in order to get in before the 10th since I extremely emphasize I needed the rack for my next trip that I'm leaving on the 10th. Hopefully they keep their word and everything arrives in time. Once I receive the rack I will give you my review.

reldausa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR Billet Silver
That's what I was hoping. Not only does the low profile look better, but it shouldn't mess with air flow too much either. Thanks for the response, and I look forward to hearing how it sounds on the freeway (no hurry though).
No significant wind noise coming from highway speeds. I mean jeeps are already noisy enough at high speeds, so I really didn't notice any difference with the rack on.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Sorry for not replying sooner. I just got back into town last night from my trip. As Daryl mention in an earlier post. I did speak to Chris. JCR did not have a rack in stock to ship so they are rushing on fabricating a new rack. They are suppose to ship it today in order to get in before the 10th since I extremely emphasize I needed the rack for my next trip that I'm leaving on the 10th. Hopefully they keep their word and everything arrives in time. Once I receive the rack I will give you my review.
No problem, I figured you were out enjoying the long weekend. I hope they get you taken care of.

No significant wind noise coming from highway speeds. I mean jeeps are already noisy enough at high speeds, so I really didn't notice any difference with the rack on.
That's pretty much what I expected but was hoping you would confirm. Thanks for following up.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
Not in the market for one myself personally, but also interested to see the follow up.

dirtygertie_jlu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
How did they do on their follow up? I have this in my shopping cart right now but customer service is big to me and might sway me in a different direction

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I just got the short version. I’m very happy with it. No wind noise. Plenty of extra hardware (maybe they include all the hardware for the long version?). Curious as to why 6 of the bolts were regular zinc coated when all the rest are stainless, but whatever.

Rett_Gar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Altitude
Hey guys, I purchased the same short rack from JCR, I'm in Canada and with Covid it took a really long time (nearly 5 months) to get here. Same issue happened as well, they sent me JT rails. It took another 2.5 weeks to get the JL rails.

I'm fine with the wait time as with COVID and being over the border it's understandable. However, last night I tried to install the rack but the roof mounting points don't align, the exterior bracket that sits over the foot that sits in the well is too small and the side and top bolts don't line up. To add to it the hardware provided isn't threaded properly for the inserts. Did anyone else have these issues also, any times how to align the mounts? It seems like I'm doing something wrong but everything seems correct, all loose fitted till I get it on the roof but can't get it to line up.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I've been going to pull the trigger on a rack, but was debating between the JCR, EVO or just keeping it simple and getting the low profile bars from Exposed Racks.

JCR is $600, and EVO is $750. The EXR is obviously the cheaper option at $325 but you can't get the clip style with the low profile (just plain bars). My concern with that is that there's no tie down points without the clip holes/inserts. Both the JCR and EVO racks would give me some tie down locations, and look pretty low profile.

Right now, I'm kinda leaning toward the EVO rack.
Any opinions or experiences with any of them?

Jeep Wrangler JL JCR Roof Rack Initial Bad Impression roof racks

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I have the JCR and haven’t seen the EVO in person. When I bought mine, EVO was still steel only, so that was a knock out for me, too much weight. The aluminum one though is appealing. From pictures, it seems lower than the JCR, but the more important difference is that it appears that the entire side support sits in the gutter channel. That seems like a WAY better dispersal of weight than just 4 small points. I think the aluminum one is closer to $900 though? 😳

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah I like that it looks a little lower too. The side rails going full length were what drew my attention to that over the JCR. I wonder how that affects water flow though.

Does your JCR rack rest on the roof at all (like the EXR bars), or is it supported completely on those 4 brackets?

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
The front and rear “fairings” rest on the roof. They supply rubber molding. But with their design, I’m not sure they really bear any weight.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Just found this thread after keeping an eye on the EVO rack for a long time. JCR seems like the superior option at better price. Also, I just read page 1 on this thread at the customer service responses from @JcrOffroad and give kudos to the rep who seems like a honest hard working real person from a great company. I'll probably look at more of their products now.
Sponsored