Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Does anyone ever do this anymore?
I’ve owned and operated over a dozen cars and have never bothered to rust proof any of them. I don’t hold on to my vehicles for longer than 10 years, if that. If the vehicle can’t hold up to the elements here in the northeast, I wouldn’t bother driving it in the first place.
Sponsored

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I'm just getting back into this after 20 years and the fluid film idea is new to me. I've been reading about it in a few posts. Sounds like a great deterrent in avoiding additional and major rust. (I'm also in the NE). But what about about painting over current surface rust with POR-15. Is that still a thing? Haven't seen many people mention it. Obviously not where there's a seal or bolt, but a long time ago we used to lightly wire brush the affected surface rust areas like you see on the weld lines and just cover it in POR-15 as the rust started to show every couple months in different places. Eventually we'd cover almost the whole under side of the Jeep. Seemed to work well as long as the rust wasn't major or had already disintegrated any metal completed to where you'd see a hole and major repair would have to be made.

Does anyone ever do this anymore?
And what's the best brand of fluid film everyone has had a good experience with keeping rust at bay?
POR is a great option, then fluid film. I just buy the aerosol cans of fluid film at my local Lowes. You can get complete kits but I think a regular dose now and then can't hurt. Wool wax comes in black if you don't want to paint and it doesn't smell as bad as the fluid film.

BriKan

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I’ve owned and operated over a dozen cars and have never bothered to rust proof any of them. I don’t hold on to my vehicles for longer than 10 years, if that. If the vehicle can’t hold up to the elements here in the northeast, I wouldn’t bother driving it in the first place.
I kinda agree in a way but like the idea of preventing it and
I'm kind of in agreement but like the idea of a simple prevention technique and preserving vehicles until they catch on fire. I've also had 18 cars over the last many years and run them hard and long for work driving around 1,000 miles a week. A current example is a 2007 Commander I've had since almost new. 240,000 miles and besides a few issues it's been an amazing family and then work vehicle for a long time. Completely paid off and still kicking so I have no reason to junk it. After 1,200 carefree miles the last 2 days my poor 15 year old kid went to fill the tires and snapped a valve stem in half by mistake. While changing the tire and pulling the spare from underneath the back I saw everything was covered in rust and the cable that held it, shot to pieces. So was the hitch and corresponding hardware I had U-Haul put on years ago that I rarely look at or use.Completely trashed. Reading this thread was a nice bit of info that some or most of that rust could have been avoided with a simple spray on every once in while negating any hard work of me wire brushing the whole area for hours and replacing the hanging cable. All time and money just wasted that could have been avoided with a simple technique. I was thinking the POR-15 after cleaning it up now just so I would never have to look or worry about the area again until it finally explodes.

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Rust avoidance = Fluid film
Agree 100%.

I learned the hard way....

Leased my 2012 Ram Crew Cab and didnt want to do anything too "permanent" .....but ended up buying my lease.

Ended up having rust inside the rocker panels that is now pretty much unstoppable.......without major work.

Had I fluid filed from day one this probably would have been prevented.

We just picked up a 2021 80th Anniversary 2 door in Snazzberry on a 4 year lease and love it so far.....I am very seriously considering fluid filming now. We may buy it out in 4 years or we may just get a new one....but as they say an ounce of prevention......

I learned about fluid film from few old timer car enthusiasts. One other guy swears by "Wool Wax" brand...similar to FF, but WW claims to be the strongest.....may buy a gallon of that and the gun and try it.....

I hate the salty brine poison they cover our eastern roads with. UGH!

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
I just make sure I have a leaky valve cover. The oil eventually coats the underside and helps prevent rust. I also never have to get rid of old oil after an oil change. I just slowly change oil quart by quart.

I'm working on something similar for the black tank on my camp trailer. 🤔

Newfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jl, 07 Ram 3500, 13 CRV
I have a 15-year-old RAM work truck that I rust-proofed since the day I got it, Hit it with fluid film before each winter and I wash the underside; I live in the Northeast about two blocks from the ocean, truck has no rust and looks new to this day. I had a replace the oil pan last year, I coded the new one with POR 15. That stuff is also good I using conjunction with the fluid film.

PXL_20210319_131808207.jpg
Sponsored