Sponsored

Is the steering problem solved after all recommended fixes applied?

fjavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2020 JLUR 3.6 auto, 335 bmw
I am considering purchasing a 2020 JLUR, but the only thing holding me back from purchasing it is the steering issues that I seem to read about in this forum. From what I've read, it seems like there are 2 basic categories of steering issues. The first one is death wobble like symptoms which range from minor to violent oscillation of the steering components traveling into the steering wheel. The other is basically a 1 inch or greater dead spot in the steering wheel which causes one to constantly oversteer. What I want to know if there are jeep owners who have had a steering problem, done all the recommended solutions, and the problem has still not gone away? These are the "recommended" solutions that I am referring to that I gathered from reading the various steering threads:
  • checked that all bolts relating to steering are torqued according to specs.
  • replaced the track bar with either the new track bar or with an aftermarket one.
  • replaced the drag link and tie rod. This one would have to be done with an aftermarket one since Jeep is not replacing these parts.
  • replaced the steering damper to the version. This solution, from what I've read, is not really a solution, but rather a bandaid to the real problem.
  • increased the caster angle to 6 degrees or greater. This would require buying new lower control arms.
  • replaced the steering box to the version ending with letters AE.
  • had a re-flash of the software.
Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I am considering purchasing a 2020 JLUR, but the only thing holding me back from purchasing it is the steering issues that I seem to read about in this forum. From what I've read, it seems like there are 2 basic categories of steering issues. The first one is death wobble like symptoms which range from minor to violent oscillation of the steering components traveling into the steering wheel. The other is basically a 1 inch or greater dead spot in the steering wheel which causes one to constantly oversteer. What I want to know if there are jeep owners who have had a steering problem, done all the recommended solutions, and the problem has still not gone away? These are the "recommended" solutions that I am referring to that I gathered from reading the various steering threads:
  • checked that all bolts relating to steering are torqued according to specs.
  • replaced the track bar with either the new track bar or with an aftermarket one.
  • replaced the drag link and tie rod. This one would have to be done with an aftermarket one since Jeep is not replacing these parts.
  • replaced the steering damper to the version. This solution, from what I've read, is not really a solution, but rather a bandaid to the real problem.
  • increased the caster angle to 6 degrees or greater. This would require buying new lower control arms.
  • replaced the steering box to the version ending with letters AE.
  • had a re-flash of the software.
Well, it depends. LOL. If you read the thread "Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts" found at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/, and read through all 303 (and growing) pages, some would say yes, some no. Now, not ALL JL's have the steering problem. From what I've read I'd say that 80-85% don't have an issue. Some do.

If you go to a dealer and drive one you like you will be able to pretty much tell. However, again after reading that thread, some folk complain that it didn't start until after 5k miles.

I would let it scare you away from getting a JLUR. They are a Jeep, they are fun, and they are worth it.

Mjanski

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
TBD. Working through this now and just had the AE box installed. Everything stated here has been done. Better then before but still not as tight as I would like on the highway.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
TBD. Working through this now and just had the AE box installed. Everything stated here has been done. Better then before but still not as tight as I would like on the highway.
I wonder if you and others saying similar things have ever driven a vehicle with a straight axle and oversized tires before.

Mjanski

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I wonder if you and others saying similar things have ever driven a vehicle with a straight axle and oversized tires before.
I think the issue is in the quality of parts being supplied. For instance my dealer installed a new damper in May got the recall and had another damper installed in September. Damper #3 drove worse then #2 and it’s installed correctly. I’m going aftermarket at this point.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I think the issue is in the quality of parts being supplied. For instance my dealer installed a new damper in May got the recall and had another damper installed in September. Damper #3 drove worse then #2 and it’s installed correctly. I’m going aftermarket at this point.
A steering damper was never a solution. You didn't answer my question though.

sticker500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
It would best for you to go and drive a few, and see what you think. If you are ordering and it's delivered then you can decide whether it's ok for you. You can decide wether to accept the vehicle or not.

I came from a 2019 RAM and my 2019 JLUR drives NOTHING like the RAM or my wife's Honda Pilot. I am only referring to the steering.

OP
OP

fjavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2020 JLUR 3.6 auto, 335 bmw
I understand the comment that a solid axle vehicle drives differently from other vehicles. I actually did rent a JL for a week and really enjoyed it. I drove it in the mountains and on the highway and although I agree the steering was looser compared to many cars I've driven, I still felt safe and had a huge smile on my face. My question is really about if one gets a bad jeep with steering issues that make one feel unsafe. Is there a solution to the problem? Basically, if I applied 1 or all of the above solutions to the problem will the jeep drive in a safe manner where one would feel comfortable taking their loved ones in the car?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I understand the comment that a solid axle vehicle drives differently from other vehicles. I actually did rent a JL for a week and really enjoyed it. I drove it in the mountains and on the highway and although I agree the steering was looser compared to many cars I've driven, I still felt safe and had a huge smile on my face. My question is really about if one gets a bad jeep with steering issues that make one feel unsafe. Is there a solution to the problem? Basically, if I applied 1 or all of the above solutions to the problem will the jeep drive in a safe manner where one would feel comfortable taking their loved ones in the car?
If you get a vehicle that doesn't drive safe make them fix it or return it. I think this is pretty rare by the way.

azhdar

First Name
Azhdar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 4dr
I had the same concerns as you, but it didn't keep me away from ordering 2020 JLUR. it has been almost 2 weeks of owning it, I can always feel that 1inch or a bit more dead spot. and when I drive over 100km/hr it feels loose. However, I am not having any hard time to control it, and I am kinda enjoying it. I have test drove 2019 JLUR with a steering issue, the thing was wandering all around on the highway it was totally different and I wasn't able to control it.

Sponsored

Jofuss3232

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Just bought a used 2018 JLU 14k and it has this issue. The stabilizer recall was done, took it back in today, new track bar and alignment no difference. I don't have the death wobble just about 2-3 inches in play. Taking it back in on Thursday and asking them to flash it and ask them if they will change out the steering box to the AE, currently have the AC. Fingers crossed or it will keep going in until it is fixed or it will be lemon law time. I haul my kids around in it on country roads and it walks all over the place.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought a new 2018 JLU Sahara. it did not have any steering issues, but I only have 700 miles on her. But I also have just replaced the steering stabilizer with the Teraflex Falcon 2.2 steering stabilizer and the track bar with the Terafliex track bar. I have a new Synergy tie rod, drag link and track bar/sector shaft brace on order. Why? I'm being proative, want my wife to feel comfortable driving the Jeep, and trying to ward off any possible problems. I feel that these steps should fairly well take care of any problems that could have come up.

EDIT: And I like working on the Jeep, and learning how to do all this stuff. I feel at my age I have to do it now as the clock is ticking!

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I just bought a new 2018 JLU Sahara. it did not have any steering issues, but I only have 700 miles on her. But I also have just replaced the steering stabilizer with the Teraflex Falcon 2.2 steering stabilizer and the track bar with the Terafliex track bar. I have a new Synergy tie rod, drag link and track bar/sector shaft brace on order. Why? I'm being proative, want my wife to feel comfortable driving the Jeep, and trying to ward off any possible problems. I feel that these steps should fairly well take care of any problems that could have come up.

EDIT: And I like working on the Jeep, and learning how to do all this stuff. I feel at my age I have to do it now as the clock is ticking!
Did you get the steering Falcon stabilizer regular one or the adjustable one and did it really make a difference from it wondering to the right or left ? mine wonders to the right and i have the JL Rubicon 2018 with 37s and Mopar lift . I don't want to spend the money if it wont make a difference

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Did you get the steering Falcon stabilizer regular one or the adjustable one and did it really make a difference from it wondering to the right or left ? mine wonders to the right and i have the JL Rubicon 2018 with 37s and Mopar lift . I don't want to spend the money if it wont make a difference
Are your axles centered (did you add adjustable track bars or brackets)? Do you know what your caster is set at? Toe?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Are your axles centered (did you add adjustable track bars or brackets)? Do you know what your caster is set at? Toe?
Lift kit came with track bars and the dealer just aligned it for me about 3,000 miles ago. They are really good on doing alignments I think it's because I have the 13.50 tires. when the tires were brand-new it drove straight after I got about six thousand miles on them it started people say I need a steering stabilizer. All the tires have been checked for tire pulls. They are all good. Do you think the steering stabilizer or stop it I've been told not to get the adjustable one I thought the dual one would work pretty good looks like it but I don't know
Sponsored