Sponsored

Aftermarket fixes for wandering and drifting steering??

inn8ive

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Technical Director
Vehicle Showcase
I know this has been covered many times on this forum with many different opinions, aftermarket, dealer fixes, etc... but, being that it’s still an issue for me, and what I’m guessing is many others in our group of JL drivers, this is the place for serious fixes, parts, advice, etc. until Jeep and @JeepCares can issue a proper recall or TSB for this.

I’m at my wits end with the steering issue, constantly correcting on the highway, and feeling unsafe, especially when my fiancé takes my JL on a road tip.

What have you done or installed that has fixed this issue 100%?

Please share parts, links, links to other forum threads, anything that helps.

EDIT 03/08/2019
I'm currently running 35x18x12.5 Toyo Open Country ATII
2.5" RC Spacer Lift
RC Single Steering Stabilizer

THE WANDERING AND DRIFTING WAS AN ISSUE BEFORE THE LIFT KIT AND TIRES.
Sponsored

Last edited:

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
My new 2019 model *stock* rubicon 2 door recently arrived and I WAS HOPING that i wouldn't have the wobble/wandering. Sadly, it wobbles going over bridge expansion joints and it wanders. Pisses me off so much, but I knew the possibility before I ordered it.

I thought about taking it to the dealership, but no one ever seems to do well with doing that, so HOPEFULLY this thread will offer some form of solution.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
What helped me the most was airing down my tires from the dealer from 42 psi to around 35. The jeep was all over the place, but I grew up with 1 ton trucks, jeeps and drove a variety of military vehicles so I'm used to a little input when I drive.

OP
OP
inn8ive

inn8ive

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Technical Director
Vehicle Showcase
Are you lifted with bigger tires?
I am. 2.5” RC spacer lift with 35’s. RC stabilizer seemed to help at first (maybe first 1000 miles), but has since reverted to the exact same wandering and drifting of when it was stock. I drove it for about 9000 miles stock.

Sponsored

chain

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 JL 2dr Rubicon
Not saying it will fix it but will throw in my input based off of past experience. When I had my JK, steering was fine until I lifted it and put bigger tires on. Not a big lift or huge tires, but enough to change steering feel. It started trying to follow dips in the road and steering just felt darty. I got adjustable lower control arms for the front. Set them around 1/4" or so longer than stock and it fixed everything. Seemed the lift screwed with the caster just enough to really mess with the steering. The control arms allowed me to adjust the caster and it did wonders. Knowing how that went for me, it's the first thing I would try.

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
I am. 2.5” RC spacer lift with 35’s. RC stabilizer seemed to help at first (maybe first 1000 miles), but has since reverted to the exact same wandering and drifting of when it was stock. I drove it for about 9000 miles stock.
I will never trust RC again. I bought RC shocks for my last JK. Talk about drifting. After 1200 miles it ruined my tires. When I replaces the shocks with Fox it was night and day. The RC were so bad I could easily compress the shocks with one hand. I’m guessing your stabilizer is cooked. Just my opinion, but RC blows.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’m with @chain on this. I believe that even stock jl doesn’t have enough castor. It’s something that Jeep should look into. I think you should get some adjustable control arms, and put on alignment rack and set your castor to 5.5 degrees to start, drive it and adjust it until you get the best results. I’m running 6.5 degrees on mine. I have a Mopar lift that gave me 3.5 inches of lift so if you’re at 2.5 inches, you probably won’t need as much as I’m running. But I can run 80 down freeway and take hands off steering wheel and tracks straight and no wandering, pulling, or wobbling. :)

Fays4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71
I also had huge improvements after airing down my tires to 35 psi. Mine also came aired up to 42psi. It is night and day difference for me. Although I am still a bone stock Rubicon keeping my fingers crossed lifting it doesn’t ruin it.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I also had huge improvements after airing down my tires to 35 psi. Mine also came aired up to 42psi. It is night and day difference for me. Although I am still a bone stock Rubicon keeping my fingers crossed lifting it doesn’t ruin it.
If it’s a quality lift and done right, your ride will probably improve. I could barely keep mine on the road coming home from the dealer, now rides great. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
inn8ive

inn8ive

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Technical Director
Vehicle Showcase
I’m with @chain on this. I believe that even stock jl doesn’t have enough castor. It’s something that Jeep should look into. I think you should get some adjustable control arms, and put on alignment rack and set your castor to 5.5 degrees to start, drive it and adjust it until you get the best results. I’m running 6.5 degrees on mine. I have a Mopar lift that gave me 3.5 inches of lift so if you’re at 2.5 inches, you probably won’t need as much as I’m running. But I can run 80 down freeway and take hands off steering wheel and tracks straight and no wandering, pulling, or wobbling. :)
Thank you. Definitely going to look into this. Recommendations on adjustable control arms? Do I need upper and lower? What about the control arm drop brackets, like the TeraFlex? Necessary?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thank you. Definitely going to look into this. Recommendations on adjustable control arms? Do I need upper and lower? What about the control arm drop brackets, like the TeraFlex? Necessary?
Lowers are all you need to adjust caster. May need an adjustable track bar or relocation bracket as well. EVO, Metalcloak, and Rock Krawler all make great products.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Actually gonna need less caster with more lift to keep that pinion angle in check.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Actually gonna need less caster with more lift to keep that pinion angle in check.
Yes it’s a fine line, but so far, I don’t have any issues with binding or vibration, I think I’m probably as far as I dare go at 6.5 :)

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Drop brackets aren’t really necessary with 2.5 inch of lift, however, the more level you have your control arms the better the ride on the road. As @word302 has stated, mc,rk, terraflex, evo..... all very good products, I use rock krawler, but that’s just personal preference :).
Sponsored