Is it too much to ask?

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
When you buy a new TV, when you open the box, how would you feel to find out that the store had already peeled the plastic film and stickers of for you. Is it too much to ask the dealer to leave that stuff on and let you do it yourself... I'm really thinking about calling the dealer and telling them to leave all that stuff on, I'll remove my own wrappers. Who wants to wake up on Christmas morning and find that their family took the liberty of tearing off all the wrappings on their gifts "as a courtesy".. Hell as I'm writing this I want to call the frakin dealer right now and tell them don't peel a damn thing of my 50k vehicle. Only problem is it's 11:30pm.... I'll be happy to unwrap my own Jeep.. Am I being over the top here...?
Sponsored

rkan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 VW GTI Autobahn
When you buy a new TV, when you open the box, how would you feel to find out that the store had already peeled the plastic film and stickers of for you. Is it too much to ask the dealer to leave that stuff on and let you do it yourself... I'm really thinking about calling the dealer and telling them to leave all that stuff on, I'll remove my own wrappers. Who wants to wake up on Christmas morning and find that their family took the liberty of tearing off all the wrappings on their gifts "as a courtesy".. Hell as I'm writing this I want to call the frakin dealer right now and tell them don't peel a damn thing of my 50k vehicle. Only problem is it's 11:30pm.... I'll be happy to unwrap my own Jeep.. Am I being over the top here...?
Yes.

But I get it. šŸ˜‰

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I get it. In addition to ā€œunwrappingā€ it, dealers are supposed to do a pre-delivery inspection, including a test drive. Thatā€™s the part that bothered me more, but I got over it.

Sponsored

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None

I know somebody that goes through 3 or 4 new vehicles a year and they request to be there when it gets off the truck and do exactly what you are requesting. It probably depends on the dealer.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I donā€™t think itā€™s that crazy. It is in effect your new toy. Although itā€™s true what others have said about dealer prep.
My Jeep came in while I was on vacation. I came home on a Sunday, drove to the closed dealership but got to see my new baby on the lot still wrapped. It was exciting.

92E44BEB-B65B-4252-972B-61ED955C4AB0.jpeg

6E9EE58A-BEBE-4071-86C2-2941667A53AB.jpeg

D3CAA58F-E13C-4511-90FA-DF3754EF29DE.jpeg

95A07F88-8D11-4AF0-89A3-48289F2251B8.jpeg

E392C784-0989-49AA-A021-9AE2BECF8A86.jpeg

OddyNuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I've had my Sarge Green '21 Rubicon for almost 3 weeks before it was even washed. I repeatedly reminded the dealer NOT to wash the vehicle when it arrived and if there was plastic on the panels, then to leave it in place. It was well worth driving a dirty Jeep for a little bit until I made it to the my trusted deteailer who washed and applied a paint sealant. Had I let the dealer do their initial "detail", i'm certain I would have suffered paint swirls on a brand new $40k+ vehicle that was freshly built. Now the paint is glass and beads water, so I'd tell them not to touch it. It costs a lot to fix swirls and once you see them, you can't unsee them.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It's just a bunch of plastic and paper. I don't need to deal with that garbage and recycling. The dealer can throw that stuff in their bin, so I can just pick up the vehicle and drive away.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've had my Sarge Green '21 Rubicon for almost 3 weeks before it was even washed. I repeatedly reminded the dealer NOT to wash the vehicle when it arrived and if there was plastic on the panels, then to leave it in place. It was well worth driving a dirty Jeep for a little bit until I made it to the my trusted deteailer who washed and applied a paint sealant. Had I let the dealer do their initial "detail", i'm certain I would have suffered paint swirls on a brand new $40k+ vehicle that was freshly built. Now the paint is glass and beads water, so I'd tell them not to touch it. It costs a lot to fix swirls and once you see them, you can't unsee them.
Different priorities I guess... By the time I had by '19 JLUR 3 weeks, it had dozens of trail pinstripes on it already.

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I did my own pre-delivery inspection. I guess that makes it a post-delivery inspection.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
You are certainly entitled to your thoughts. But, I donā€™t share them. In fact, Iā€™m exactly opposite. If the dealer misses a plastic bit or something I get a bit miffed. Why? It means that they didnā€™t do a thorough ā€dealer prepā€ and that tells me something about how much the dealer actually cares about the ā€œcustomer experience.ā€

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have always been a person who relished opening new items (Especially Electronics), something about the smell bla bla blah. I even take the time to read the manual just to prolong the opening process. So it is now occurring to me why the hell would I let myself miss this beautiful opportunity to do a massive unboxing/wrapping of my brand new Jeep. sf5211 you sealed the deal by showing all the wrapping on the interior, I definitely want to be the one to take that off. Oh hell yeah.....

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
If the dealer doesnā€™t remove all the wrapping and do an inspection, you take the vehicle home, unwrap it yourself and find a scratch in the paint, who pays for the repair?

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
The dealer unwraps it partly to check for shipping damage anywhere on the Jeep. If you take it home wrapped up and then discover damage done to the paint, which does happen, it can be difficult to get the dealer to fix it at that point. That being said, I do have client regularly ask us not to unwrap it and detail it because they wish to take it to their own detailer.
Sponsored