Are paddle shifters too much to ask?

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Okay! It's here. I've installed Paddle Shifters in my 2.0T JLUR!

Before I repurpose this into a generic CAN bus input device for my Raspberry Pi...
Does anyone have a link to a 392 manual which explains the rules for paddle shifting?

PS: Where are my shift lights! Or am I going to have to create my own?
I just got a new Challenger and the computer won't allow you to do anything with the paddle shifters that would do damage - I.E. either lugging the motor or over revving. At least thats what it says in the manual. I can post some pages if you want but it's common sense 101 & you have that it seems already:)
Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Been driving a Mazda SUV with paddle shifters, and while I don't really care for using the 100% manual mode too much, just leaving it in automatic still allows the paddles to be used for a quick override. Being able to immediately downshift on command for either engine braking while going downhill or to more easily climb uphill without blipping the throttle has been very useful and appreciated during my everyday driving. After a few seconds without further input, it just goes back into auto shifting.

Imo, any automatic transmission that offers a 'manual mode' should absolutely include paddle shifters with the same override and auto-resume feature.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Paddle shifters, are just not needed, on an off-road vehicle. Race(sports)cars, yes. Mall-Crawlers, yes, if you want to impress others, who know no better.
+1

I had a Power Wagon with paddle shifters, and they SUCK for off-road applications. Not at all easy to get to when you’re maneuvering at sharp steering angles.

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
On the Gladiator forums they claim that they're great for towing.

I've never rock crawled with an automatic, but there's no need to actively shift gears?
In Selec-Trac mode or whatever it's called that lets you crawl up and down hills and over rocks, you can push the automatic over into "manual" mode that lets you go up and down speed increments. I guess i could see that being nice on the steering wheel but usually when i've been in that situation its a 25 degree pitch and one hand is already on the dashboard helping to keep me back in my seat :LOL:

Sponsored

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Personally, I think it would be cool if when you were in 4-low, you could use the cruise +/- buttons in addition to the stick to select gear. It is all electronic anyway, so that should be easy, and it would be a heck of a lot more convenient.

Plus it would make it easier to minimize having to transfer from 4-low to 4-high.