Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLU Moab
This thread would not be possible without the following threads, among others:
DIY: Add USB Port into Upper Dash Tray
Jeep JL Car Play Project
Aux Switches- looking for directions
Cleanest Phone Mount Solution (later pages in particular)

The goal was to install the Belkin MagSafe Charging Mount without leaving too many wires hanging around. (I would have preferred to install phone charging elsewhere, but the Course Mount was the most polished solution I could find). I've always had a wireless CarPlay dongle in the center console- the long term goal is to eliminate all visible wires while still charging at decent speeds. If not for elbows, I would have installed in the top of the center console!

Materials purchased:

OF NOTE--> I bought my 2019 Moab w/ the Aux Package as a factory install, so the interior wiring includes 6 wires and is located in the passenger seat well. I believe the post-factory Mopar Aux Wiring kit only includes the 4 power wires for the Aux buttons, as described in many threads elsewhere.
  • Take apart the Belkin kit- I did not use the "vent mount" piece, instead attaching the Belkin to the Course mount.
  • Remove HVAC controls & touchscreen facia, then touchscreen (see links above) using your trim removal kit (I've used plastic spackle knives in the past, but a trim kit is cheap and works better).
    Jeep Wrangler JL Iphone MagSafe Charging Mount Installation IMG_1785D.JPG
  • Find your aux wiring bundle (I was fortunate, it was easy to find- right next to the interior passenger footwell lights)- unwrap and find the appropriate wire. I used the pink/orange wire, which is tied to the ignition.
    Jeep Wrangler JL Iphone MagSafe Charging Mount Installation IMG_1782.JPG
  • Disconnect passenger door controls & remove passenger kick panel.
  • Wire in the voltage converter, using the aux wire as well as the spare grounding nut (see the threads above for grounding options). Ultimately decided to locate the converter midway between the ground nut and aux wire end, rather than extending one or both wires.
    Jeep Wrangler JL Iphone MagSafe Charging Mount Installation IMG_1784D.JPG
  • Fished the USB-C extension cable down from the stereo (initially used a fishing tool to figure the best path- found I could drop the cable down from above, open and unhook the glove compartment, then grab the cable). Cable tied the cable next to the footwell light (mentioned earlier) so that it would not drop onto someone's shoe (also, the ext. cable has directions that you should turn over the female cable connection if it is not charging, both orientations appeared to work)
  • Bring the USB-C cable out to the side of the stereo you prefer; the 3.3 foot cable I used just reaches passenger side location, I would probably buy the longer version next time.
  • I took this moment to test everything before closing it up- I was unhappy that I did not get the "MagSafe" visual on my phone, though it shows as charging.....
  • Reinstall the touchscreen; add the Course mount ball.
  • Pull the cable so that enough is left 'out' once you reinstall the touchscreen fascia. I was prepared to Dremel out some of the plastic behind that fascia, though it looks like I might not need to. (This photo looks exaggerated versus how it looks when sitting in my Jeep, in either seat).
    Jeep Wrangler JL Iphone MagSafe Charging Mount Installation IMG_1787D.JPG
  • Reinstall HVAC controls, taking care to slowly feed the ignition wire back into its hole.
  • Install Belkin rear tightening piece over Course ball Mount; position as you prefer. Plug in to USB-C cable, reinstall door wires & kick panel, etc.
    Jeep Wrangler JL Iphone MagSafe Charging Mount Installation IMG_1788.JPG
I'm pleased with the outcome, though I may eventually test some other extension cables and/or seek out an inline wattage tester to figure why I'm not seeing that MagSafe graphic.

Prior to this install, I spent a week driving around w/ the Belkin installed on the driver side- could not see the left side of the touchscreen- basically, the entire left border (in CarPlay) or the first 2 presets (using Sirius).
Also noticed during testing that the cigarette lighter Belkin adapter (they say is PD 3) and supplied USB-C cable did not always give me the 'MagSafe charging' graphic, which makes me wonder if it's due to slight misalignment of my iPhone 12 on the mount?

I've made no effort to avoid bumps and my Moab still has mud tires- while the phone & mount move very slightly, the phone has never loosened/fallen or seemed near doing so.
Hope this helps others- apologies for not taking more photos.
Sponsored

FireAnt21

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited North Edition
Occupation
Lineman
Vehicle Showcase
I used your idea of the step down transformer and I installed these

Sukemichi JL Phone Holder with Storage Box https://a.co/d/hWIZcDM

and

Magnetic Wireless Car Charger https://a.co/d/eAbaZus

only change was to swap the ball mount and I t-tapped into the radio harness. Also drilled a tiny hole for the usbc cable to come through