Sponsored

Installing Mopar aux switches -- how much did it cost?

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
Did this install myself last weekend, it took me two hours but probably would have taken an hour and a half if I didn't keep revisiting the video. After reading comments here and on the YouTube video I connected the orange wires directly together and used electrical tape around them instead of using the quick disconnect plug that came with the kit. Glad I did it myself, the local off road shop estimated it at 4 hours.
I also did the install myself last weekend. It took me about 6 hours. Most of the install was pretty straightforward. I was really careful about pushing through the grommet and getting the orange wire out. Those two steps probably took me 4.5 - 5 hours. Once I figured both out the rest of the steps were pretty straightforward. I was being way too careful on those two steps.

None of my de-pinning tools I had fit the harness with the orange wire and I was being pretty stupid on getting it out. Once I figured this step out, I realized that it was way easier than I made it out to be. I ended up using a small flat head screwdriver and it worked fine.

I used the orange wire setup as detailed in the instructions and video. Everything appears to work as expected. Now to connect something and make sure the lights aren't giving me a head fake.
Sponsored

TylerU

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
Awesome! Glad I could help!
Do you love them?

I would still like to know what would happen if I connected regular LED lights to the 40A cables... anybody know?
I'm sure I'll love them once I get my new bumpers installed with LED lights and Winch! I too would be curious about LEDs and the 40amp lines, maybe you can just change out the relays and fuse to amp down?

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I installed it myself and dealer charged me 210 for 5 minutes it took him to flash it they first add the feature to the vin and then they just flashed it
is there any benefit to adding the feature to the vin? for another 100$ you can have a JL mini and do yourself. and then I can finally turn my stupid tpms light off. I would normally have the dealer flash but I'm going to be re-gearing and will have to get a tazer anyway I believe.

TylerU

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
is there any benefit to adding the feature to the vin? for another 100$ you can have a JL mini and do yourself. and then I can finally turn my stupid tpms light off. I would normally have the dealer flash but I'm going to be re-gearing and will have to get a tazer anyway I believe.
They get added to the vehicles warranty when you go through the dealer, seems like they would be covered regardless but I am not 100% on that.

KevOh93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Industrial Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure I'll love them once I get my new bumpers installed with LED lights and Winch! I too would be curious about LEDs and the 40amp lines, maybe you can just change out the relays and fuse to amp down?
that was my first though but i am not sure if the different gauge cable would be a problem. be cool if there was an electrician here. I have no use for the 40A buttons but would love to have two more 15A.

I just havent figured out how to create a forum post

Sponsored

Daddy4zack

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Saw that this morning. Jumped on it

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
For those of you who want to protect the devices (wiring more likely) on your 40amp circuits from an over-current condition. You'll want to pick up some of these.

https://theelectricaldepot.com/fuse...artridge-fuse-15a-32v-time-delay-br-pack-of-5

Replace the 40amp fuse at F92 and/or F93 depending on your circumstances.

They're hard to find (I googled a lot). So you'll pay a little more than $2 each for them. That's assuming your devices draw <= 15 amps. Littlefuse makes them in higher amperages as well.

As a side note, I'm not an EE and I'm not entirely sure this is needed but I'm doing it anyway.

Last edited:

ale70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome! Glad I could help!
Do you love them?

I would still like to know what would happen if I connected regular LED lights to the 40A cables... anybody know?

I just had it installed from my Jeep dealer last week. $285 to install. Then I installed 2 LED lightbars and two cube LED lights to one of the 40A switches....all good!

KevOh93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Industrial Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
I just had it installed from my Jeep dealer last week. $285 to install. Then I installed 2 LED lightbars and two cube LED lights to one of the 40A switches....all good!
awesome thank you for letting me know.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Tackling this project this weekend.
Thanks for the info.
I just did it a couple weeks ago. Took about 3.5 hours start to finish. Wasn’t bad at all. Most frustrating part I had was zip tying the wire loom in engine bay.

also an FYI for anyone doing this themselves, I didn’t have to cut the fender liner loose. Same when I did my trailer wiring. You can fold the liner back enough to access the rubber grommet that feeds inside the vehicle. I’m actually not sure why they recommend that.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
The only issues I had were punching through the firewall and removing the orange wire. Both were accomplished with some patience. The grommet was a little difficult to reach from the outside on my 2019 so I punched through from the inside.

Take a look at (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...iring-through-jl-firewall.48434/#post-1072029). If you remove the fuse box you get direct access to the grommet and a much easier way to get through. I would have done it this way if I had known.

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Mopar aux switches -- how much did it cost? 56E96AA7-F514-40EE-96B8-8BEAD5689655
Dealer wanted $900.00 plus tax....

Mopar aux switch kit 319.99
JScan app and license 18.99
Vgate OBD 21.99
Gateway bypass 24.99

“No Dealer Needed”