Installed ARB Rear Diff Cover

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I do what @CarbonSteel does and fill it until it drips out of the fill hole.

On the ARB, I marked the dip stick as per the instructions, but then just used the markings on the bottle to measure the amount. It wound up very slightly above the mark on the dip stick, which is probably fine. With an aftermarket cover, you can't be 100% sure the capacity stays the same. In fact, it probably doesn't. But I think the ARB is close enough that a slight over fill is not a problem. Everything seems to be fine on mine at this point. No leaks, nothing spewing out the vent tube, or no other evidence of an issue.

One nice thing about the ARB is that I can pull that dip stick and check the level. I haven't done that yet, so I may do that today or tomorrow, just out of curiousity.
Thanks Dan and @CarbonSteel. I don’t add any additives correct?
Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
i am about to do mine....w the dana covers....got the call they are in today!

Also going to pot rear lock sensor.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Dan and @CarbonSteel. I don’t add any additives correct?
Correct. You have a Rubicon which has electronic locking differentials and does not need friction modifier added to it.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Correct. You have a Rubicon which has electronic locking differentials and does not need friction modifier added to it.
Perfect that’s what I thought. Thanks again. Last question:. Should I use lube lockers or sealant? Or try to reuse factory seal? Jeep only has 2,500 miles on it.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect that’s what I thought. Thanks again. Last question:. Should I use lube lockers or sealant? Or try to reuse factory seal? Jeep only has 2,500 miles on it.
No sealant needed; the gasket is rubber encased steel and is reusable. Just take your time and if it does not just fall off (mine did), just slightly pry at the top of the cover and it will come right off.

Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
No sealant needed; the gasket is rubber encased steel and is reusable. Just take your time and if it does not just fall off (mine did), just slightly pry at the top of the cover and it will come right off.
Thank you sir. Should use brake cleaner to clean the diff or just wipe it down with a towel?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you sir. Should use brake cleaner to clean the diff or just wipe it down with a towel?
I would be careful with brake cleaner inside the axle given the issues with the electronic locking modules leaking just in oil. The cleaner may degrade the already fragile seal. I would wipe it out with a lint free shop towel focusing on the bottom of the housing.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR

On the ARB, I marked the dip stick as per the instructions, but then just used the markings on the bottle to measure the amount. It wound up very slightly above the mark on the dip stick, which is probably fine. With an aftermarket cover, you can't be 100% sure the capacity stays the same. In fact, it probably doesn't. But I think the ARB is close enough that a slight over fill is not a problem. Everything seems to be fine on mine at this point. No leaks, nothing spewing out the vent tube, or no other evidence of an issue.

One nice thing about the ARB is that I can pull that dip stick and check the level. I haven't done that yet, so I may do that today or tomorrow, just out of curiousity.
Just to confirm, you fill it till it drips out of green circle or red circle?

Just to confirm, you guys are saying to fill to the green circle?

8750F108-2A0F-4907-9C80-CA1163D432DD.jpeg

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just to confirm, you fill it till it drips out of green circle or red circle?

Just to confirm, you guys are saying to fill to the green circle?

8750F108-2A0F-4907-9C80-CA1163D432DD.jpeg
No, I was talking about the stock diff cover, sorry if I misunderstood. On the ARB, you have to follow their instructions and match the dip stick to the bottom of the fill hole on the stock cover.

I did that with mine and then poured the exact amount stated in the capacities in the owners manual and it wound up very slightly above the mark I put on the dip stick, which I think is fine.

But no, don't fill the ARB to the fill hole. That would be waaaay overfilled.

Again, sorry for any confusion.

I still have the stock cover on the front, so it gets filled until it drips out the fill hole.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
No, I was talking about the stock diff cover, sorry if I misunderstood. On the ARB, you have to follow their instructions and match the dip stick to the bottom of the fill hole on the stock cover.

I did that with mine and then poured the exact amount stated in the capacities in the owners manual and it wound up very slightly above the mark I put on the dip stick, which I think is fine.

But no, don't fill the ARB to the fill hole. That would be waaaay overfilled.

Again, sorry for any confusion.

I still have the stock cover on the front, so it gets filled until it drips out the fill hole.
That makes way more sense! I kept thinking that was way too much. Ok will follow instructions and report back. Thanks again Dan.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That makes way more sense! I kept thinking that was way too much. Ok will follow instructions and report back. Thanks again Dan.
Glad you checked back! This thread has been all over the place, so I guess I was a bit loose with my answer and assumed we were talking stock.

Love the ARB cover, btw. That thing is bomb proof!!

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Glad you checked back! This thread has been all over the place, so I guess I was a bit loose with my answer and assumed we were talking stock.

Installed them this weekend! Both dipstick measurements were around 1 inch from the bottom magnet. I tried to use bottle measurements instead. I put in around 1.6-1.7quarts (the new amsoil bottles don’t have measurements) in the rear and 1.4-1.5Quarts in the front. Both were about 1/4 inches above the dipstick mark. I should be ok right? How often should I change diff oil? Thanks for all the help.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR

If you have a chance and can measure the dipstick mark distance from the bottom that would be great. Want to make sure I’m good.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a chance and can measure the dipstick mark distance from the bottom that would be great. Want to make sure I’m good.
Yep, when I get a chance. I've got a tight work schedule this week, but I'll try and get it by the weekend. It will be a cold measurement, but it will be accurate.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Installed them this weekend! Both dipstick measurements were around 1 inch from the bottom magnet. I tried to use bottle measurements instead. I put in around 1.6-1.7quarts (the new amsoil bottles don’t have measurements) in the rear and 1.4-1.5Quarts in the front. Both were about 1/4 inches above the dipstick mark. I should be ok right? How often should I change diff oil? Thanks for all the help.
I have typically tried to change them every 36k miles since I tow a small boat. But with a good synthetic like Amsoil, you could probably go much longer than that, but don't exceed the recommendations of the owners' manual. But the JL makes it easy, so I've done mine twice since new and I'm at 40k. I did it once just because of the ARB install, or else I would have waited longer.

I'll probably do the rear ever 25k and the front every 36k or so. There's much less stress and wear on the front, IMO.
Sponsored