A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

I have gotten the point in my build where there are no longer any smaller mods I can make to my vehicle, and new tires and a lift are absolutely the next step. This past weekend I was limited in my wheeling ability due to my stock 33s and lack of lift, so it's time to start planning this out. However, a new set of tires + wheels is about $3-5k, and the suspension plus install will most likely be between $4-6k. As much as I'd love to do it all at once, financially that isn't an option. I'm wondering if there is a way to slowly upgrade components of my suspension to be able to accommodate my eventual 37s.

I don't know which lift I ultimately plan on going (most likely Teraflex or MC), but I do know that I'll probably be going with a 3.5" lift - simply to give me the option, down the road in a couple of years, to go up to 40s should I choose to do so. Most likely I'll never have tires bigger than 37s as I really want to avoid regearing, but I prefer to install a lift that would give me that ability down the road versus having to spend that cash twice.

Ideally I'd like to be able to purchase the wheels and tires and maybe something along the lines of a bump stop (bear with me, I don't know much about suspension components) that would at least allow the tires to fit and still be able to wheel, albeit with some minor limitations. I currently have 1.75 spacers on all my wheels (simply for looks) that hopefully could help with articulation issues with the larger wheels but not full suspension upgrade. Then to slowly update components (add in new springs, new control arms, etc.) over the next several months to help spread out the cost. I do plan on doing actual wheeling, with the ultimate goal of running the Rubicon trail within the next 18 months. Also hoping that by adding in individual components I could do most of the installs myself versus having to shell out the cost of doing it. Is something like this possible, and if so, any recommendations on what the order of components would be?
Sponsored

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
The 2.5 inch rough country spacer lift would let you mount 37s and wheel it for now. At $200 its very affordable and the install is straight forward. Later on you can get a "complete" lift kit that has springs and control arms and track bars to correct the suspension geometry. Rustys 3.75" lift might be one of the better values out there with all the components and shocks for $1900. You may also need a new front drive shaft when going to 3.5 inches or more of lift.

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-676c.html

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...con/rustys-jl-wrangler-3-75-advanced-kit.html

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
So you don't "need" a 4-6k lift to run 37s. If you want all the arms etc set properly then yes your in the ballpark but something like a budget boost and a longer shock might surprise you and you can upgrade it as your budget allows Or start with something like a basic spring lift and add arms as you need to.

Secondly try and get some buddies to help you install it or maybe a local club. Doing your own work will not only save you a ton of cash but nobody cares for your own junk like you do.

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
You can do the wheels and just keep the stock tires. That gets you a bit further along before you do tires and either budget lift or full lift. I’m planning to do my beadlocks with stock tires for similar reasons to you. I’m going to regear too, probably once I have lift and tires standing by then have an ultimate weekend project doing the lift and swapping to 37’s.

Sponsored

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

You can do the wheels and just keep the stock tires. That gets you a bit further along before you do tires and either budget lift or full lift. I’m planning to do my beadlocks with stock tires for similar reasons to you.
I hadn't thought of this - as long as the increased wheel width will work with the stock tires, this is a great idea.

So you don't "need" a 4-6k lift to run 37s. If you want all the arms etc set properly then yes your in the ballpark but something like a budget boost and a longer shock might surprise you and you can upgrade it as your budget allows Or start with something like a basic spring lift and add arms as you need to.
The idea is that whatever lift I work towards could, in the future, accommodate up to 40s. But this is the type of info I was looking for - it sounds like I could start with longer shocks as my first item, and then add in springs, followed by arms? What I would ideally like to be able to do is add in a component every month or so, effectively spreading out the cost of the lift. Plus, since the installs would be fairly straightforward and basic, I would then do them myself.

If I'm installing the lift overtime, is there a preferred order to install those components? Any that have to be installed at the same time?

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I hadn't thought of this - as long as the increased wheel width will work with the stock tires, this is a great idea.

The idea is that whatever lift I work towards could, in the future, accommodate up to 40s. But this is the type of info I was looking for - it sounds like I could start with longer shocks as my first item, and then add in springs, followed by arms? What I would ideally like to be able to do is add in a component every month or so, effectively spreading out the cost of the lift. Plus, since the installs would be fairly straightforward and basic, I would then do them myself.

If I'm installing the lift overtime, is there a preferred order to install those components? Any that have to be installed at the same time?
40s is a whole other can of worms I won't get into but suspension is the easy part. Everyone has their opinion but there is a reason people who actually wheel on 40s do d60s.

You will need longer springs to do longer shocks. To start I'd do a quality basic spring lift with longer shocks and at least front lower control arms. Also have to decide on joints. Some joints flex more than others but those usually require rebuilding more often. Not a huge deal but worth considering.
Sponsored