P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Darn, was hoping there would be the new 3.0 Hurricane offering. Guess not.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Actually electric cars do not suck. Our around town or local roadtrip car is a Model Y and it is super reliable and very cheap to operate and it is pretty solid in the heavy snow where we live. We love the Model Y and it does everything and more our previous daily drivers did. However, we have a Sprinter adventure van and our Wrangler and those are our roadtrip and fun vehicles. It is likely 10 years before an electric van can do what our Sprinter does and the Wrangler will have many steps as well to be like for like with out current Wrangler. If you have a look at TFL they talk about off road and truck bed campers for EV trucks and they have a ways to go. Plus the recently announced electric Sprinter cargo van only had about 200 miles of range - fine for local deliveries but useless for a camper van.
I am not anti-electric. EVs don't suck at all. The model 3 Performance can do 0-60 faster than a Corvette C7 ZR1 and can be had for abut $45k with price cuts and tax credits. Its insane.

But at this point road trips are not practical in an EV. Once the charging infrastructure is built out, it will be much better.

BEVs won't equal gas vehicles for trips until charge times from 20-80% get down into the 15 minute range. Right now EVs have plenty of range. The problem is the hassle (time and locality) of "gassing up".

At this point in time, the sweet spot is the PHEV. Something with 50 miles of electric range can meet most people's day to day needs and is zero hassle on a long trip.

Krowensby

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
No, it means that by 2025 every vehicle Jeep offers will have a PHEV or BEV option available. Stop with the clickbait đź’©

Edit: The title originally said something much different.
Great answer. So many people make those all encompassing statements and really don’t know what they are talking about. It will be along time before no petrol powered vehicles are offered.

Sponsored

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
I am not anti-electric. EVs don't suck at all. The model 3 Performance can do 0-60 faster than a Corvette C7 ZR1 and can be had for abut $45k with price cuts and tax credits. Its insane.

But at this point road trips are not practical in an EV. Once the charging infrastructure is built out, it will be much better.

BEVs won't equal gas vehicles for trips until charge times from 20-80% get down into the 15 minute range. Right now EVs have plenty of range. The problem is the hassle (time and locality) of "gassing up".

At this point in time, the sweet spot is the PHEV. Something with 50 miles of electric range can meet most people's day to day needs and is zero hassle on a long trip.
Well as much as that is not our norm - we usually long roadtrip in our van - we drove from Northern CA to Dallas in our Model Y. It is easier in a gas car for sure right now but it was ok with the Tesla

Last edited:

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couldn't agree more. Seems the reason you have a Sprinter and Wrangler is because the BEV can't do what they do. It's been attempted since before ICE and still can't compete with ICE. The Jeep has been doing what it does for over 80 years and other vehicles longer than that.
If BEV works for you, or anyone for that matter, that's great. The MAJORITY of people cannot afford a mortgage priced car for novelty or local running around on top of a vehicle that they can depend on to take them anywhere they need to go at any time.
I said exactly that - The Y can’t do what the Jeep and Sprinter do yet - 10 years probably. However what the Y excels at wrt cos of ownership and local and regional daily driving it is much better than the other two.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Well as much as that is no tour norm - we usually long roadtrip in our van - we drove from Northern CA to Dallas in our Model Y. It is easier in a gas car for sure right now but it was ok with the Tesla
It still sucks. Admit it. Imagine if you had bored kids waiting around.

Was it a holiday weekend? There is a line 30 cars long for the Tesla Superchargers on I95 in CT over any holiday weekend.

This will all work itself out in just a few years. But for now, if you buy a Tesla, you need to understand that road trips will be an "adventure".

If you own something other than a Tesla it's even worse. Much much worse. The non-Tesla charging infrastructure is terrible. A friend has a Mustang Mach-e. He has told me that when he goes to a charging facility, typically 1/3 to 1/2 of the chargers are off line and NONE of them deliver anywhere near their rated rate.

So let's be intellectually honest in this discussion. Road trips are impractical in an electric given the current charging infrastructure. This will solve itself in the next few years.

Generally owning a non-Tesla electric is also impractical if you don't have a place to charge it.

Conversely, if you own a home and can charge in a garage and don't depend on your BEV to take you on long trips, it's MORE convenient than a gas car. Just throw it on the charger every couple of days and you will never have to visit a gas or charging station again.

I said exactly that - The Y can’t do what the Jeep and Sprinter do yet - 10 years probably. However what the Y excels at wrt cos of ownership and local and regional daily driving it is much better than the other two.
If you can complete your day's driving on one charge and can charge it indoors at night, there is nothing better than a BEV. Other than maybe a PHEV if it can run the day on electric.

PHEVs with 50ish miles of range really are the sweet spot these days. All electric day to day, care free gas driving on long trips and great performance.

Sponsored

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It still sucks. Admit it. Imagine if you had bored kids waiting around.

Was it a holiday weekend? There is a line 30 cars long for the Tesla Superchargers on I95 in CT over any holiday weekend.

This will all work itself out in just a few years. But for now, if you buy a Tesla, you need to understand that road trips will be an "adventure".

If you own something other than a Tesla it's even worse. Much much worse. The non-Tesla charging infrastructure is terrible. A friend has a Mustang Mach-e. He has told me that when he goes to a charging facility, typically 1/3 to 1/2 of the chargers are off line and NONE of them deliver anywhere near their rated rate.

So let's be intellectually honest in this discussion. Road trips are impractical in an electric given the current charging infrastructure. This will solve itself in the next few years.

Generally owning a non-Tesla electric is also impractical if you don't have a place to charge it.

Conversely, if you own a home and can charge in a garage and don't depend on your BEV to take you on long trips, it's MORE convenient than a gas car. Just throw it on the charger every couple of days and you will never have to visit a gas or charging station again.

If you can complete your day's driving on one charge and can charge it indoors at night, there is nothing better than a BEV. Other than maybe a PHEV if it can run the day on electric.

PHEVs with 50ish miles of range really are the sweet spot these days. All electric day to day, care free gas driving on long trips and great performance.
Actually I know a ton about driving all over in EVs. We or direct members of my family have driven an EV(s) for 6 years which includes multiple Teslas, a Bolt and a Mach-e. Some of what you said is true and some I disagree with based on experience. Long roadtripping in a Tesla is fine as the network is quite well built and even on super long commutes we have rarely waited for a charger and then even no more than 5 minutes. Note there are a few super crowded Tesla Superchargers, but it is the exception and not the rule. Two notedcaveats: 1) long road tripping in an ICE vehicle is easier than the Tesla but the delta is not huge and as I said I have done it, 2) 100% agree with you non Tesla long roadtripping is still extremely hard as charger density is definitely far from good enough. Now for daily driver locally or with a 400 miles or so roadtrip the long range electrics are easier, because as you point out charging at home is super convenient and beats going to the gas station. An interesting data point, for 2.5 years I used to commute from Truckee CA to San Francisco twice a week in my Model 3 and that was just as easy or easier than a gas car. Heading to Truckee I would stop once to charge for 10min +/- 5min and heading to SF I never had to charge. I have friends in Idaho with the same dynamic - F350 truck for things an electric car is years from hitting and a model 3 for daily driving and some roadtrips - they have done multiple cross country trips with the Tesla. Net net there are many areas an EV is not meeting our needs yet and I would be the first to admit it and public charging infrastructure outside of Tesla need tons or work, but there are many use cases where the EV does not suck and is better in fact. Ergo why I have a Jeep and a Sprinter - maybe I will see a viable version of those as an EV, but I am also not going to use a stunted EV version of them either.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Thanks for your insight.

One other datapoint. A friend of a friend is a tech at a GM dealer. He said that they are getting 100,000+ mile Volts in and typical ICE use is only in the 5000 mile range.

Which is pretty cool. You are getting 95% electrification with no need to ever charge away from home. It's also much greener to build since the battery is only in the 15-18 kwh size range. A fraction of what is typically installed in a BEV. And as you know, the battery is the filthiest and cruelest part of any electrified vehicle. (Cobalt is quit literally mined by slaves).

It's funny, when people run an analysis of whether a BEV is actually cleaner than an ICE vehicle, they always determine that it is. But they never run the analysis against a PHEV with a ~50 mile range. I realize that PHEVs are a very small market share. But they really do meet most people's needs best.

Quick question - what is the second most efficient vehicle Toyota makes? The Rav4 Prime PHEV.
Next - what is the second QUICKEST vehicle Toyota makes? The Rav4 Prime PHEV.

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
Just in time for CA to announce they’ll start charging vehicle registration based on weight (like they do “commercial” trucks).
In CA where yesterday is already the future.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
In CA where yesterday is already the future.
Ca—where part of my Jeep’s $943 registration fee is a $154 “weight” fee, and it’s a “UT”. My “commercial” PU’s “weight” fee is well over twice as much. Everybody’s “commercial” PU, the number 1–2–&3 highest selling vehicles. What they are working on is a “Mileage tax” since EV’s don’t pay fuel tax, ICE owners will likely end up paying both, helluva deal.
Sponsored

Last edited: