Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
MOst all the major EV manufacturers produce vehicles that go 300+ miles on a single charge. Why does everyone think Jeep can't achieve something even close to these numbers? Geez, I would think they could build a Wrangler EV, even with its terrible aerodynamics, to get 150 miles out of a single charge it they tried. Oh course they would want to charge $95,000 for it before a single option.
The reason they don't have a big enough battery to get 300+ miles of range is because that would take up more room than the Jeep has available. You just don't make plug in hybrids with that kind of electric only range, and only Full EVs do.

Just take a look at how much space the Rivian's batteries take up and you'll see why you wouldn't want an ICE to go along with it...

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe will be name of PHEV Hybrid Electric model. Coming late 2020 1676377115188
Sponsored

Krowensby

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
The reason they don't have a big enough battery to get 300+ miles of range is because that would take up more room than the Jeep has available. You just don't make plug in hybrids with that kind of electric only range, and only Full EVs do.

Just take a look at how much space the Rivian's batteries take up and you'll see why you wouldn't want an ICE to go along with it...

1676377115188.png
So how is it a Tesla Model 3 is 184 inches long and a Wrangler is 184. So much for the size theory. My next vehicle will be a full on electric. I'm tired of oil changes, gas pumps, and all the maintenance that goes with the old-school gas powered engines. Time to move forward just like we did when we unhitched the horse from the buggy and put in a engine. And yes, that means it probably won't be a Jeep.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My next vehicle will be a full on electric. I'm tired of oil changes, gas pumps, and all the maintenance that goes with the old-school gas powered engines. Time to move forward just like we did when we unhitched the horse from the buggy and put in a engine. And yes, that means it probably won't be a Jeep.
I'm interested in the Recon, whenever it comes out. Full EV, and I have Tesla fast chargers 1 mile from my house at the Sheetz station.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe will be name of PHEV Hybrid Electric model. Coming late 2020 1676399109021

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So how is it a Tesla Model 3 is 184 inches long and a Wrangler is 184. So much for the size theory.
The model 3's battery is almost as big as the entire car and is most of the weight. It leaves no room for a mechanical drivetrain, and moving that into the cabin would just take up most of the cabin...

A full EV Jeep would need to be purposely developed as a full EV to best fit the battery that can support 300+ miles of range... like the Recon I mentioned before.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe will be name of PHEV Hybrid Electric model. Coming late 2020 1676399692191

Sponsored

Krowensby

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
The model 3's battery is almost as big as the entire car and is most of the weight. It leaves no room for a mechanical drivetrain, and moving that into the cabin would just take up most of the cabin...

A full EV Jeep would need to be purposely developed as a full EV to best fit the battery that can support 300+ miles of range... like the Recon I mentioned before.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe will be name of PHEV Hybrid Electric model. Coming late 2020 1676399692191
But you don't need a mechanical drivetrain for an EV vehicle. Thus the beauty of them. Put a motor in the front and one in the back -- 4-wheel drive. No clumsy driveshift, transfer case or differentials. Both independent drives coordinated by computer systems. It can be done. Immediate torque when you need it and excellent acceleration. It becomes more clear to me day by day that I may not belong on this forum, or maybe in a Jeep at all. I just just liked my yellow two-door JL's looks.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
But you don't need a mechanical drivetrain for an EV vehicle. Thus the beauty of them. Put a motor in the front and one in the back -- 4-wheel drive. No clumsy driveshift, transfer case or differentials. Both independent drives coordinated by computer systems. It can be done. Immediate torque when you need it and excellent acceleration. It becomes more clear to me day by day that I may not belong on this forum, or maybe in a Jeep at all. I just just liked my yellow two-door JL's looks.
Well that's what the Recon will be, a Full EV Jeep... Why complain about the limited EV range of the 4Xe?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Go check how well a full EV has been working off-road for TFL... 🤣🤣🤣

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Go check how well a full EV has been working off-road for TFL... 🤣🤣🤣
I lost track at how many times the Hummer broke on them. lol.

A real shame since I like the design.
Sponsored