Advertisement

Jeep Wrangler 4xe will be name of PHEV Hybrid Electric model. Coming late 2020

pablo_max3045

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Your arguments make a lot of sense from a physics standpoint. Obviously (or maybe not) Jeep's engineers must have asked the same questions and faced the same issues, and come up with a solution that offers some benefit beyond what is already available; if not superior, why bother with the development costs? I'll wait to see the specs before I decide whether it's worth it to our particular family situation.
I think it is important to keep things in perspective and not get bogged down thinking about things in terms of "what happens when blah blah".
The Jeep will certainly have an ICE large enough to power the vehicle off road, when the battery is discharged. That is clear.
Jeep understands that while many Jeep owners like to go off road, you do not live off road.
You do not spend 90% of the time off road. For the overwhelmingly fast amount of owners, 90% of the time they are drying to the shops or work and maybe once or twice a month get out for a jont up to the woods for a little adventure.
The PEHV is designed for that 90% of the time.
Like it or not, the never generation of buyers have different priorities than the older folks. Environmental stuff is important to them. This does not mean MPG, but overall emissions.
If they can buy a Jeep, go off roading and still "feel good" about it, who cares? It's not harming you or me.
If you do not like it, lukily there are several alternatives now. Even a diesel!

Regardless... You better get used to it. in 15 years it is pretty unlikely a IEC engine will be offered by any make.
Personally, I am still hoping for fuel cells and electric motors, but who knows.
Something with all that torque off road would be pretty fun though.

Advertisement

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
As a Prius owner... nobody hears it even with the noise. It's a bit of a whirring noise that people don't seem to hear or associate with a vehicle. As an interesting aside, the Chevy Volt I drove for a bit has two horn switches. One blasts the horn like normal, the other sorta chirps the horn. The idea is that as you sneak up on a pedestrian you can give a gentle chirp to let them know you're there rather than a full horn blast. First time I used it the pedestrian flipped me off.

giphy.gif
Guess it would have been less rude to just run em over... :giggle:

rle737ng

First Name
Randy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Mojito!
Wonder if you could download sound files. Make it sound like a Harley Fatboy, or a big block Chevy with a cam.

Planetgambale

First Name
Sam
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler sport
I understand that Tesla has a lot of power under the hood but a hybrid isn't quite the same. Wondering if this engine will be able to deliver while putting the vehicle to it's max off road.

scramboleer

Reaction score
I understand that Tesla has a lot of power under the hood but a hybrid isn't quite the same. Wondering if this engine will be able to deliver while putting the vehicle to it's max off road.
Good question. If the electric motor is big enough, it should work great. We should learn more tomorrow.

four low

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I read in "Green Car Congress " July 2019 article , that the ZF 8 spd automatic we have is getting an electric motor built into the transmission housing. The internal packaging doesn't increase the size of the transmission, they say..
If this is coming to market, it will be a natural for Wranglers..fingers crossed.

OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep tweet: "The Jeep Wrangler 4xe. Coming late 2020."

JEEPN X 4

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport, 2014 Manley ORV Original
Yes - Rubicon! I think I see a front diff! I hope someone thinks to get some photos from the under side showing more detail, esp the rear...
From some of the earlier spy photos it does have a front axle (no IFS), but it did look like they were CV axles instead of a ujoint at the knuckle

Advertisement

Advertisement