Sponsored

I'm having a difficult time deciding on a build....

kingpinJL

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2021 JLUR
After discussing with my wife, she gave me a budget of $47k(+ttl) assuming 7% below invoice, so i'm tossing around the idea of 4 different 2021 builds.....

#1 - Willys, premium audio/8.4", premium soft top, Safety/Advanced safety, convenience group, tech group, trailer tow/hd electrical with a diesel - comes out to 45852+ttl
#2 - Rubicon, with prmium soft top, LED group and premium audio group with the diesel - comes out to 47182+ttl
#3 - Rubicon, with the above, plus steel bumpers, off road camera, satin black grill, and trailer tow/hd electrical. 2.0T, comes out to $46229

the 3 builds above are sarge green

OR i can do #4:
Rubi, in white, with steel bumpers, advanced/safety group, camera, LED lights, premium top, trailer tow group with 2.0T - comes out to $47234

all above prices are including the destination fee and with a pre-negotiated price(7% below inv) at a local dealer.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
And my biggest decision is chicken or beef for dinner tonight. I'm flipping a coin, would that help with your decision?

OP
OP
kingpinJL

kingpinJL

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2021 JLUR
And my biggest decision is chicken or beef for dinner tonight. I'm flipping a coin, would that help with your decision?
i'm having boudin :)

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
One suggestion. If you really like the satin grill, I would wait. Like the all-weather mats, you don’t get any credit for giving up the standard grill (carpeted mats in relation to the all-weather mats). You can purchase the grill later at the same, or lower price, and then recoup some of the cost by selling the standard grill. That might stretch your budget a little. Switching out grills is really easy.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I wouldn't recommend the Willys based on the options you have laid out. I also agree on the satin grill. You just overpay and lose your stock grill.

Looks like you need to start by deciding whether you have to have the Diesel. If not you get a lot more goodies.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
With a diesel, your maintenance costs are usually higher. More oil capacity, frequent changing and draining of the fuel filter, etc. In addition, you will need to remember to allow the engine and turbo to properly cool down after driving, especially when towing, going fast, etc. This cool down period can take 1-2 minutes. Doesn't sound like much, but when you're used to parking and hopping right out to go into the store, restaurant, etc. it gets to be a pain. Especially if you don't really NEED a diesel.

Those are some of the reasons I got rid of my 2016 Ram 2500 diesel. I didn't really need it for towing (was planning on a 5th wheel, but life changed) and it honestly was too expensive (fuel and maintenance) and too big of a pain in the rear (for cool down) to justify keeping it as a daily driver.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'd go with #3 or #4, mainly to avoid the diesel. This is coming from a long time diesel mechanic whose worked a lot of years in the heavy equipment repair industry.

Between the rip off buy in price of that engine and the higher maintenance costs, it would take around 250k miles of it getting better mpg before paying for itself. The only benefit to any modern epa-ruined diesel is an increased mileage range from the same number of gallons compared to gas and added cargo weight doesn't have as much of an affect on mpg compared to gas.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I would go with #2! Specially if you plan on overlanding (bigger mud terrains, roof top tent, jerry cans etc)

Diesel is the way to go
Sponsored