OP
OP
Roody

Roody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR order cancelled; 2012 Wrangler
Lots of opinions here but here are my regrets based on my recent order.
-I wish I got 8.4" screen and off-road camera
-I wish I got the tow package
-I wish I got the diesel

When we ordered our Jeep I had no intention of spending much time off-road or towing. In the 5 months since we decided to totally change we way we camp and plan to explore North America in our Wrangler while towing an off-road teardrop style camper.

I'm glad we got:
-Rubicon w/ leather
-Hardtop only (added Bestop)
-Floor liners
-Alpine Audio
-Cold weather
-Proximity locks
-6 speed

Your plans or intentions may change over time, add the things now that are most challenging (or impossible) to add later.
The last sentence is the mojo I'm trying to go with. I'd rather get the hard to add options and add the easy things (like bumpers, and possibly a soft top) myself later on. Which Bestop did you go with?
Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
BTW I believe for new Rubicon orders, you are now required to get the remote proximity locks.

OP
OP
Roody

Roody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW I believe for new Rubicon orders, you are now required to get the remote proximity locks.
You're correct, as confirmed by the dealers I'm working with for my order

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
The last sentence is the mojo I'm trying to go with. I'd rather get the hard to add options and add the easy things (like bumpers, and possibly a soft top) myself later on. Which Bestop did you go with?
Supertop Ultra and we LOVE it, spent the whole weekend running around with it all the way down and it's so quick / easy to modify the mode (sun rider, safari, topless). The only issue is that one of the rails 'rattles' in its track (sometimes) when all the way down. Not really a big issue since wind noise and the tunes normally drown it out. I HIGHLY recommend 'buy it installed' but I'm getting lazy in my old age and didn't want to waste a chunk of a nice day installing it. Now that it's assembled I'll likely do the swap with hard top (fall / spring) myself.

One note on the 8.4" and Alpine. No doubt the Alpine is much nicer than standard audio BUT many would argue it's not a good 'value'. Here is my perspective (because I forgot to mention it last time). The 8.4" screen (IMO) is overkill if you don't care about the off-road camera. The cabin is small, I'm 52 and wear reading glasses and the 7" is PLENTY big enough. The audio quality from the Alpine is OK for us BUT if I were still in my 20's or 30's and I liked my eras ringing when I exit the vehicle I would NOT get the 8.4" or the Alpine, I would go full-on after market. You can get MUCH better 'value' audio quality and there are some really nice after market head units available. You know what they say about opinions, but that's mine. ;)

OP
OP
Roody

Roody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One more dilemma: Go with the standard BFG KO2s or the optional Falken Wildpeak M/Ts?

The Jeep will be used primarily for occasional commuting (I'm working remote and only have to go into the office once-in-a-while), road trips, and weekend adventures. It won't be frequently that the Jeep is off-road at the beginning at least, but it's likely that when it is, there's some difficulty to the trails. The off-roading that I tend to do here in the Northeast gets gnarly, quickly. Rocks, mud, ruts, climbs, etc. Also planning on exploring some of the legal-to-drive-on beaches out on Long Island and Rhode Island as well as some of the Class 4 Roads up in VT. And of course the parks out in PA, as I've done with vehicles in the past. Additionally, I'm hoping to drive cross-country and, finally, do Moab and some of the Colorado trails that I've wanted to do my entire life. The Jeep will mainly be for on-road use, but when it sees dirty it has the possibility of being tough.

I know everyone (or at least the majority of people who have them) love the KO2s. However, the Falkens do seem to perform better off-tarmac and, in my opinion, look better. Does anyone have any experience with both, or insight as to what route to go here? Given the on-road to off-road ratio, I know the BFGs make more sense. Logic says stick with the BFGs... but are the Falkens worth considering?

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

recently built mine and had similar dilemma's

glad I swapped out the LED package for the 8.4 w/alpine on my final build.
the Alpine sounds so much better and the 8.4 is great just the off road pages alone are worth it...

ended up with
2.0 T
cold weather pkg
tow pkg
8.4 w/Alpine
leather
painted fenders
hard top

$53385 msrp
paid $47255 after discount with Kent at Peterson Jeep :like:

did my own LED conversion within the first couple weeks for less then $450 total and I am far from a master mechanic.
tempImagejJynDh.jpg
tempImageSXYI1I.jpg
tempImageU1vTMT.jpg

wasn't complete until I did the fender lights tho for sure....
IMG_9451 2.JPG
tempImageiSO75G.jpg
Link to the LEDs you went with? It's not high on my list, but it *is* on my list, and $450 is much easier to swallow than $1300.

OIIIIIO

First Name
Abdul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th anniversary
I dont know if this is the right thread, but I have an 80th anniversary and I tried to make the same build on a Sahara and the MSRP is $4-$5k more than an 80th anniversary.
Does anyone know why?

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I dont know if this is the right thread, but I have an 80th anniversary and I tried to make the same build on a Sahara and the MSRP is $4-$5k more than an 80th anniversary.
Does anyone know why?
You can't order 80th anymore but that is true. Some of the difference is that 80th has a package discount of $2475. The other difference is the brakes and some interior appointments. It was discussed in this thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...edition-and-standard-options-vs-sahara.60185/

zshannon20

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi A3; 2022 Jeep Compass High Altitude
Occupation
Medical Device Operations/Distribution; USMC Reserve Officer
Hi all! Been lurking here since the JL was released and am finally ramping up to place an order for a JLUR in Hydro Blue with the 3.6 and 6-speed. I'm trying to keep the options/packages in check and am looking for some insight. The only "definite" as of now is the Cold Weather Group. Everything else I flip-flop back and forth on. Trying to reason myself into and/or out of some of the niceties as price isn't a "concern" per se, but I have to keep it within reason for my order to remain within budget. What does everyone think regarding the following?
  • 8.4" Radio and Premium Audio Group vs Alpine Premium Audio --- Do I need the added screen size? Absolutely not. Would it be nice to have the extra stuff that comes with it? Of course. I care more about the stereo itself than the screen. Upgrading the stereo by means of aftermarket isn't an option for me (I've done that before and don't want to do so again, and like having a factory warranty for electronics), so it comes down to just the Alpine stereo or the stereo plus the larger screen. Currently leaning towards: Alpine Premium Audio.
  • Standard soft top vs Premium Soft Top vs Hard Top --- Ultimately I'd like to end up with both a soft and hard top, but a lot of this decision comes down to whether it's better to have the warranty for the soft top or the hard top, and/or which is going to be less expensive to purchase after the fact. But the reality is that I love how easy the soft top is to peel back and/or remove. That said, the added security that comes with the hard top is nice (and one of the reasons I went with the PRHT for my Miata vs the soft top). Instinct says go with the premium soft top, as it's more insulating and of a better quality than the standard one, and because it still retains the supremely easy open-air readiness that I'm specifically seeking out a Jeep for. And it's less expensive than the hard top, to boot. But living in a city makes me wonder if the hard top is the better call. Currently leaning towards: Premium Soft Top.
  • LED Lighting Kit --- Of course this is a fantastic thing to have as I do tend to drive on dark, unlit back roads with considerable frequency. And again, having a warranty for something like lights is nice. But at almost $1300 (invoice price), going aftermarket is a much less expensive option. I don't care so much about the fender marker lights, but really like the LED headlights and taillights. And the factor of not having to make changes to lights, plus the warranty aspect. Currently leaning towards: Going with the LED Lighting Kit option (vs aftermarket).
  • Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group --- Probably the package I flip-flop most over. I have almost no intention of adding any further lighting but will likely eventually add a winch and possibly air compressor. Which, I know from prior experience, are easy enough to wire up on its own. There is, however, a good chance of towing a small trailer with an ATV on it (probably 2500-3000 lbs absolute max, probably a fair amount lighter). Some of my reading tells me this package includes stiffer rear springs in addition to the pre-wiring and switches. Is it worth it? I'm undecided. Probably makes more sense than adding it in the future. And certainly more sense than trying to add it myself. Currently leaning towards: Including the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group in my order.
  • Steel Bumper Group --- It seems that buying these secondhand is a much better proposition than from the factory. I do genuinely like the look and functionality of these versus the aftermarket options, and am leaning towards just trying to buy a set off the Classifieds, Facebook (group or Marketplace), or even Craigslist. Currently leaning towards: Standard bumpers.
As is, this leaves me with the Cold Weather Group, Alpine Premium Audio group, Premium Soft Top, LED Lighting Kit, and Trailer Tow & HD Electrical Group. It brings the total to ~$48k (2% under invoice), $46k (6% under invoice), or $45k (8% under invoice) depending on where I order from. I'd really love to knock the total price down a bit but can't decide where and how, aka by omission of which package/options. Any and all insight is appreciated. I'm at full-fledged analysis paralysis here! And yes, I've done some extensive research but eventually that's a black hole resulting in being able to justify anything and everything. This will be my first Jeep, my first auto loan in a few years, a vehicle I've looked forward to owning my entire life. I want to make sure that when I put in my order, it has exactly what will be the best way to spend my money. And the Jeep I'm happy with day-in and day-out.

Cheers,
Ross
FWIW, I ordered my current 21 Sahara Altitude about this time last year. I skipped the LED, tow, and a few other small options that I soon grew to regret skipping. My reason for skipping out was price. However, my regret for not getting those options is probably worse than the few extra $$ on my monthly payment would be. Anyways, I already ordered a Sahara 4xe and it should be here in a few weeks. This time I got it fully loaded. My short daily commute and the insane resale value on my Altitude made it a pretty easy decision to swap.

So my point is, unless $$ is extra extra tight, get the options that you truly want. It'll be worth it.
Sponsored