Sponsored

Seeking opinions on options for a new order

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
What is considered a “VERY high DOC fee”?
DOC fees are regulated by State. Some States like IL has a max cap of $300 for a DOC fee. Other states like FL have higher limits or even no limits. I have seen deals where people get a quote of 7%-under invoice but a $900 DOC fee. The higher DOC fee obviously eats back a percentage of your discount. There are other "cost" or "requirements" for all of the 7%-8% under invoice deals I have seen. Look out for required financing, back-end products, etc. Then there is the added element of a trade. A dealer can offer to give you 10% under only to make it up by paying you that much less for a trade if there is one.

I would not over think it. With the exception of older inventory with added incentives, 6%-6.5% with a $200-$300 DOC is about the best you will really see. A True 6% under invoice with a low DOC from a dealer you don't have to spend time traveling to and from is a solid deal.

If I were you. I would email every dealer's internet manager or sales manager within 50-100 mile radius. I would COPY every dealer so they know they are competing for your business. Ask for their best price.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
DOC fees are regulated by State. Some States like IL has a max cap of $300 for a DOC fee. Other states like FL have higher limits or even no limits. I have seen deals where people get a quote of 7%-under invoice but a $900 DOC fee. The higher DOC fee obviously eats back a percentage of your discount. There are other "cost" or "requirements" for all of the 7%-8% under invoice deals I have seen. Look out for required financing, back-end products, etc. Then there is the added element of a trade. A dealer can offer to give you 10% under only to make it up by paying you that much less for a trade if there is one.

I would not over think it. With the exception of older inventory with added incentives, 6%-6.5% with a $200-$300 DOC is about the best you will really see. A True 6% under invoice with a low DOC from a dealer you don't have to spend time traveling to and from is a solid deal.
You not only beat me to it, but did a better job answering.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If memory serves, Florida dealers are at $799. New York puts a cap at $75. It can also fluctuate between different dealers in the same state.
Correct. A DOC fee is not mandatory. It's just another line of profit for the dealer. There is not much meat on the bone at 6.5% under invoice. That's not taking into consideration any sales contest or incentives the dealer might be getting compensated for. Or for any special pricing a FCA rep might have cut with a dealer for extra volume of vehicles. Lots of other variables. Personally I would be very happy with a honest 6% under invoice and a low DOC of a couple of hundred bucks if I did not have to travel. I am talking a pure cash deal, with no trade, for a new "ordered" JL so there is nothing else diluting the deal.

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Correct. A DOC fee is not mandatory. It's just another line of profit for the dealer. There is not much meat on the bone at 6.5% under invoice. That's not taking into consideration any sales contest or incentives the dealer might be getting compensated for. Or for any special pricing a FCA rep might have cut with a dealer for extra volume of vehicles. Lots of other variables. Personally I would be very happy with a honest 6% under invoice and a low DOC of a couple of hundred bucks if I did not have to travel. I am talking a pure cash deal so there is nothing else diluting the deal.
Fully agree on all points.

I could've gotten mine for 2% further below invoice at a couple different dealers just north of DC, but I opted to buy from a dealer in lower upstate new york. DC doc fees were $399 vs $75 cap in NY, DC is twice as far away from long Island, and new york tax laws actually help as far as only having to pay tax on the cost difference between the new vehicle and the trade in.

Sponsored

Big Red Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ; 2014 FLHTK

If I were you. I would email every dealer's internet manager or sales manager within 50-100 mile radius. I would COPY every dealer so they know they are competing for your business. Ask for their best price.
Is the "Destination fee" also known as the DOC fee? Connecticut list "Destination fee" (Without any negotiation) as $1,495!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the "Destination fee" also known as the DOC fee? Connecticut list "Destination fee" (Without any negotiation) as $1,495!
No destination is just that, a fee that FCA charges to deliver the vehicle to the dealer that is passed down to the customer. Destination should cost the same for every Wrangler. It cost the same if the vehicle is delivered to Alaska or to a dealer in Toledo a mile from the factory. The destination fee is commonly discounted the same percentage as the discount of the price of the vehicle.

A DOC fee is a additional fee dealers tack on to process "documents" and paperwork, hence "DOC". Doc fees are not mandatory, they are another line item of profit for dealers. They are regulated by individual states as far as how much a dealer can charge. Different states have different "max" fees they can charge. Some dealers in some states like FL can charge what they want because there is no state law that caps the fee. It is not uncommon for someone to buy a car in FL thinking they are getting a little more off invoice then having the cost or savings taken back by a inflated DOC fee.

I took a look. I believe CT is like FL where there is not a cap on DOC fees. NY has a very low DOC fee car of less then $100, I think? Maybe someone in NY can chime in?

I would consider Criswell in MD if you are having a hard time locating a dealer locally who is willing to sell at a decent discount. They are known to be honest and transparent. You can do everything over the phone and fly or drive in to pick up your Wrangler. Airfare is dirt cheap due to the pandemic if you are willing to fly. I just checked a flight from Chicago to Miami out of curiosity and it was $39 round trip! You have to weigh the risk of travel though. Or have someone drive out with you?

Last edited:

BumpDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
i

Life

Life is too short. Get what you want. If you don't get what you want, you will always regret it. It may cost a little more, but you can't take the money to the grave with you....and your kids will waste it away.
^^Totally Agree^^

I'll speak to the SelecTrac question: We live North of Chicago and get a fair amount of snow here. Not Northern Ohio snow, but pretty close. I wanted SelecTrac because my wife will be driving the car in the winter, and the thought of her messing with the transfer case and running in 4H really made me cringe for some reason. The problem was - I wanted a 2020 Rubicon in the garage, and SelecTrac isn't available on it. I even went so far as to look for used MOAB editions because they had some Rubicon bits and looked more like a Jeep Rubicon, but was based off of a Sahara - so it DID have SelecTrac.

Problem solved with the 2021 Rubicon - you can select the 4:1 RockTrac Full Time 4wd system for a $695 option - which is exactly what I did.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
No. The destination fee is essentially the shipping charge by FCA to deliver the Jeep to the dealership. Dealerships often add an addition documentation fee to the sale of the vehicle.

OP
OP

roguebuck

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordering 2021 JL
So I have a dealer that is offering me $38,665 on an MSRP of $44,415 and an Invoice of $42,760.

That is 13% below MSRP and 9.5% below inovice....I think that is good as I am going to get and plan to sign for an order tonight. (Doc fee only $285)

Sponsored

HellaYellaSoFl

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Ultimate Sport S
So I have a dealer that is offering me $38,665 on an MSRP of $44,415 and an Invoice of $42,760.

That is 13% below MSRP and 9.5% below inovice....I think that is good as I am going to get and plan to sign for an order tonight. (Doc fee only $285)
That sounds really good. Hows the financing? (assuming you aren't paying cash)

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR

Be very careful. A true 9.5/10% below invoice doesn't show up on the forum very often, if ever. They may try to make up lost ground via add ons, financing, etc. Let us know how it works out.

Later,
Johnny

OP
OP

roguebuck

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordering 2021 JL
Be very careful. A true 9.5/10% below invoice doesn't show up on the forum very often, if ever. They may try to make up lost ground via add ons, financing, etc. Let us know how it works out.

Later,
Johnny

In the world of "too good to be true"...they had done all my options on a 2 door and not 4 door.

I am looking to be about 5-6% below invoice in my latest round of offers

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
In the world of "too good to be true"...they had done all my options on a 2 door and not 4 door.

I am looking to be about 5-6% below invoice in my latest round of offers
We each have to decide what's best for us but I was happy with 5% below invoice including all fees (but not taxes) when I bought earlier this year. That was a cash sale but included the Tread Lightly discount.

Later,
Johnny

Big Red Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ; 2014 FLHTK
No destination is just that, a fee that FCA charges to deliver the vehicle to the dealer that is passed down to the customer. Destination should cost the same on Wrangler. It cost the same if the vehicle is delivered to Alaska or to a dealer in Toledo a mile from the factory. The destination fee is commonly discounted the same percentage as the discount of the price of the vehicle.

A DOC fee is a additional fee dealers tack on to process "documents" and paperwork, hence "DOC". Doc fees are not mandatory, they are another line item of profit for dealers. They are regulated by individual states as far as how much a dealer can charge. Different states have different "max" fees they can charge. Some dealers in some states like FL can charge what they want because there is no state law that caps the fee. It is not uncommon for someone to buy a car in FL thinking they are getting a little more off invoice then having the cost or savings taken back by a inflated DOC fee.

I took a look. I believe CT is like FL where there is not a cap on DOC fees. NY has a very low DOC fee car of less then $100, I think? Maybe someone in NY can chime in?

I would consider Criswell in MD if you are having a hard time locating a dealer locally who is willing to sell at a decent discount. They are known to be honest and transparent. You can do everything over the phone and fly or drive in to pick up your Wrangler. Airfare is dirt cheap due to the pandemic if you are willing to fly. I just checked a flight from Chicago to Miami out of curiosity and it was $39 round trip! You have to weigh the risk of travel though. Or have someone drive out with you?
I will give Criswell a call. Thank you for this information!
Sponsored