Sponsored

I'm a little intimidated solo'ing the Rubicon... anyone want to meet up Columbus Day Weekend?

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
All I know is if you read TJ forums, for example, there are people that run it on 33s, 32s, even 31s. The TJ is much shorter than a JLU, of course.
Sure. But a built TJ is very different than a Compass (also Trail Rated).
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Curious. To get a trail rated badge the model must be able to tackle the rubicon? With or without mods? And is that any sub model trail rates all models? Or a Sport with professional drivers did it so that the Sport got a trail rated badge?
Sorry, I'm not sure of the details. They were talking about what as pain in the ass it was to get the Cherokees through it.

Koolkarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
So I am usually a solo wheeler but I am headed up to the Rubicon next month and I don't think I should do that one alone. I was hoping to meet up with some fellow Jeepers up there. Is anyone from the forum going to be up there Columbus Day weekend? The dates are October 7th thru the 10th. If not is it a safe bet to just show up at the trail head and jump in with a group of people? This is going to be my first BOH trail and the longest wheel I've done to date.
me and my son ran it in 1 Gladiator would not recommend it we survived both experienced wheelers and well equipped but wouldn't do it again with a second rig.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Iā€™d also recommend joining the Rubicon Trail Facebook group. Thereā€™s a ton of really knowledgeable people on there and Iā€™ve seen a lot of folks ask the same question you are. They usually end up finding a group to tag along with. As others have said you should build your rig up more. I havenā€™t done the trail but I would imagine unless you are specifically seeking out the challenge, it probably wouldnā€™t be very fun doing it without lockers.

Chrisbayridge1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

So I am usually a solo wheeler but I am headed up to the Rubicon next month and I don't think I should do that one alone. I was hoping to meet up with some fellow Jeepers up there. Is anyone from the forum going to be up there Columbus Day weekend? The dates are October 7th thru the 10th. If not is it a safe bet to just show up at the trail head and jump in with a group of people? This is going to be my first BOH trail and the longest wheel I've done to date.
I wouldn't do that one alone and I've done metal Masher solo in my stock Rubicon

Sponsored

sardogtella

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR. 2021 JLURXR
I ran the Rubicon with the Jeepers Jamboree this year. They have spotters located at the worst of the obstacles and have mechanics on hand to help with breakages. A helicopter was constantly bringing in parts throughout the four days. They reccomended 35s, a decent lift, lockers and full skids. It wasn't cheap, but a great way to run the Rubicon. Would I now run it alone? No, I don't think so.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
All I know is if you read TJ forums, for example, there are people that run it on 33s, 32s, even 31s. The TJ is much shorter than a JLU, of course.
OP has a 2 door. Not saying he is well prepared, but he might not need 35s/37s like a JLU would.

Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I think willysfan has gotten the message, so we can all move on to other posts on topics like "2.0 vs 3.6", "angry grills", "Jeep waves", "ducks", etc.

ROK HEMI

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I can't make it the weekend you are planning, but do the Rubicon a couple times a year in my JLU and live in Northern California. Going on the jeepers jamboree or one of the other organized trips will probably be the most fun and the most reassuring for a first time Rubicon adventure.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Would I recommend others to solo? Absolutely not. Have we run the trail solo? Several times. Have we broken things bad enough to end up walking out and leaving the rig until the following weekend with parts? Yep. Experience both with trails of that difficulty and the Rubicon itself is mandatory before you even consider going solo. The last time we ran the trail in our 2019 JLUR on 38s I only turned on the lockers once and never got out to spot. That being said it only takes 1 bad line to cost you hours of work getting unstuck at best and needing parts at worst. Go prepared to spend extra nights, hike out of need be, and it can be done. It will be easier and safer to find someone to go with.

OP
OP
Willysfan

Willysfan

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Machinist
Clubs

I think willysfan has gotten the message, so we can all move on to other posts on topics like "2.0 vs 3.6", "angry grills", "Jeep waves", "ducks", etc.
Yep, I get the picture. My new plan is to build Bruce Willys up a little more, add some skids, maybe regear and add a locker. Then join up for jeepers jamboree next year. My wife thanks you all for talking me out of going this year.
Sponsored