IBS > Clear/Reset

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Ohhhh lol… I misread the thread title. I thought it was a personal problem / solution thing. 🤦‍♂️
Sponsored

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
I just noticed the other day that the start \ stop wasn't working. I scrolled through the menu and it says "Stop/Start Not Ready Battery Charging" and has stayed that way for a few weeks when I noticed it but probably was happening for months.
It's only driven once or twice a week - wife was diagnosed a little over a year ago so that is taking priority but Doctor says everything is good so no worries and we will be back off road soon.

In the AUX position Battery states 12.1v
In Run position Battery states 14.3

I have zero problems starting, running, and no lights or anything out of the normal. I just figured 3 years was the lifespan of the batteries. I'll try the IBS reset to see if that changes anything. Extended warranty stops me from the Aux delete but the Aux bypass seems like something I would do. Although with no problems I just have been rolling with it so far and I don't mind pushing the ESS button when I remeber so it was weird when I noticed I didn't have to any more.

I'll try checking the Aux charge when I get a chance. Positive connected and then just remove the Aux negative and mulitmeter test if I have that right.

Senior_Chief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
Occupation
Retired X 2
I just noticed the other day that the start \ stop wasn't working. I scrolled through the menu and it says "Stop/Start Not Ready Battery Charging" and has stayed that way for a few weeks when I noticed it but probably was happening for months.
It's only driven once or twice a week - wife was diagnosed a little over a year ago so that is taking priority but Doctor says everything is good so no worries and we will be back off road soon.

In the AUX position Battery states 12.1v
In Run position Battery states 14.3

I have zero problems starting, running, and no lights or anything out of the normal. I just figured 3 years was the lifespan of the batteries. I'll try the IBS reset to see if that changes anything. Extended warranty stops me from the Aux delete but the Aux bypass seems like something I would do. Although with no problems I just have been rolling with it so far and I don't mind pushing the ESS button when I remeber so it was weird when I noticed I didn't have to any more.

I'll try checking the Aux charge when I get a chance. Positive connected and then just remove the Aux negative and mulitmeter test if I have that right.
Glad to hear that the wife is back in action. You are having the same problem I had. Other than ESS not operating and "battery charging" all was well. My 2020 JLU was still in warranty when I started to complain to the dealer. Eventually they replaced both batteries, the IBS, and the fuse block. He handed me a printout that showed all the conditions that would cause the ESS to be "not ready". What jumped out at me was the load testing on each battery, greater than 70% charged and non sulfated batteries. Once the system is functioning properly all my problems went away.

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess I need to schedule an appointment. Appreciate the information. I knew the extended warranty for the electronics would be needed. I just wish it wasn't but new cars have spaceship Eletronis these days and it is difficult without the forum. Smarter than I or unfortunately experience odd things before me. LOL Life is good every day I wake up so I'll not complain too much

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was removing the batteries today and just for kicks tested both with a mutlimeter and both read 12.5 when seperated. I tested the fuses and they were all showing OK as well. I connected everything back up and re-connected my winch to a different spot instead of what I now know is the AUX positive and negative. Ran some errands and after about 30 minutes I was at a light and shazam it turned off. I was skeptical but as I kept driving it kept turning off and starting back up. I know the batteries are probably on the way out since they are 3.5 years old but not today LOL. Thanks for the tips and I'm guessing I inadvertently reset the IBS.

Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Old thread I know.... do you have to do a IBS Reset after you replace both aux and main battery? Not really clear on that. I'm having battery light pop on and both aux and main are new batteries. Seems to kick on randomly and will drop voltage and kick the light if you use ESS.

Senior_Chief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
Occupation
Retired X 2
Old thread I know.... do you have to do a IBS Reset after you replace both aux and main battery? Not really clear on that. I'm having battery light pop on and both aux and main are new batteries. Seems to kick on randomly and will drop voltage and kick the light if you use ESS.
IBS is "reset" when power is removed. It then goes through the "learning cycle" over the next few ignition on/off cycles.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
IBS is "reset" when power is removed. It then goes through the "learning cycle" over the next few ignition on/off cycles.
Got it, thanks. I wonder if the IBS Sensor ever goes bad? I'm having electrical issues and cannot figure it out. Going back to dealer tomorrow.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Got it, thanks. I wonder if the IBS Sensor ever goes bad? I'm having electrical issues and cannot figure it out. Going back to dealer tomorrow.
Yes, IBS Sensor can go bad.

Also... to reset the IBS Sensor you need a total 12v power kill (kill both Main and Aux power) or you unplug the IBS Sensor itself..

Last edited:

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Yes, IBS Sensor can go bad.

Also... to reset the IBS Sensor you need a total 12v power kill (kill both Main and Aux power) to the switch or you unplug the IBS Sensor itself..
Gotcha. I disconnected all terminals to battery post. Including aux and main all removed from IBS Sensor. Did not seem to make a difference. But if the sensor is bad who knows!
Sponsored