Sponsored

I lied to ya

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
The one that I got from The Antenna Source (AntennaX) is 31". Factory was either 33 or 34". They also had a bunch of progressively shorter ones that would provide exactly what you describe. They are so cost effective that it doesn't pay to coat and recoat the factory one. These are also more rigid and constructed out of a higher quality stainless.
20220416_083106.jpg
Thanks! Must be the angle, but that antenna actually looks just as tall, if not taller than stock. I'll have to take some measurements after my order arrives, but their 27" might get me close to being flush with the roof. If not, the 21" should look alright in between the top of the mirror and roofline.
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Did you put anything over or inside to prevent road grime from getting in the threads? I had a stubby on my first jeep, but the removal to put on the new one wasn't possible when I did the trade in exchange. I agree with the nothing to listen too on commercial radio. At least the antenna will rest under the drip rail when I put the cover on and not cause issues with it.

Rod
Nah, I’ll just blow it out with compressed air whenever I’m ready to reinstall it.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Must be the angle, but that antenna actually looks just as tall, if not taller than stock. I'll have to take some measurements after my order arrives, but their 27" might get me close to being flush with the roof. If not, the 21" should look alright in between the top of the mirror and roofline.
Yeah, the angle is definitely making it seem taller than it is. I'm 5'11", but the Jeep makes me feel short when standing by it. 😆

Here's a pic taken while standing on a stool, with a 4' level extending from the hardtop. The roof has a slight fore and aft curve, so 27" would work.

Jeep Wrangler JL I lied to ya 20220919_134256

Reactions: AFD

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Yeah, the angle is definitely making it seem taller than it is. I'm 5'11", but the Jeep makes me feel short when standing by it. 😆

Here's a pic taken while standing on a stool, with a 4' level extending from the hardtop. The roof has a slight fore and aft curve, so 27" would work.

Jeep Wrangler JL I lied to ya 20220919_134256
Thanks for posting that pic, really appreciate it!

27" should look good, but it's a shame there's not a 28" version (or a 1" extension available). 27" might be just a little too shy to work as a 'feeler' and knowing my luck it'll be just tall enough to still smack the ball into my windshield if snagged at an off angle 😄

Probably worth finding out for only $30!

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
until we start scratching off the <insert coating of your choice> on the Mesquite and other stuff it rubs against doing what we do.

i’m totally OK with the stock antenna; tall enough for decent reception when “local” is measured in the number of hours away driving, and uncoated so it won’t wind up looking like crap when (not ‘if’) it rubs up against stuff.

But yeah a black antenna is going to look 100% better. I want one for my Willys XR.

Sponsored

Runngun18

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Retired Fuzz/Hobo/Will work for Whiskey...
Yeah… I only really tune into AM/FM due to hitting those source buttons by accident. I listen to Sirius XM or my own tunes exclusively.
Same same!

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I like having an antenna that's higher than the roof line. It acts as an early warning for over head clearance.

I replaced my factory antenna with a black version from AntennaX, but never measured the original length until the new one showed up and was a couple inches shorter. Still sticks up over the roof, but not as much. My gmrs antenna sits at the original factory height. Here's a couple pics of it being my early warning...

Jeep Wrangler JL I lied to ya EA8BDE54-ED33-4F2F-8BFD-70839B5CF484
Which gmrs antenna are you using ?

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
FYI, if your jeep sports vent visors the stock antenna will bend over and tuck right under for the trails or highway. drive through car wash brushes taught me that. At first I thought the car wash ripped it off.

Sponsored

JWAustinVTX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Hyper-dip worked well for me; just be careful tightening it back on, the dip comes off easily when using tools; I finger tightened mine.

Is that a light in the cowl cover?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Which gmrs antenna are you using ?
It was the strongest antenna I could find, figuring it would pair well with midlands new mxt575 50w radio.

https://midlandusa.com/collections/...ucts/micromobile-mxta26-6db-gain-whip-antenna

I already had the rear set up for a quick detach trail flag, so figured the drivers front was a good spot for the gmrs antenna. The Cool Tech stainless bracket can be used on either lower cowl panel bolt on each side of the Jeep.

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-je...t_bracket_options-bracket_mount_hardware_only

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T