First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm interested on comments on all of the features, but particularly interested in the forward collision warning/prevention. This YouTube video (Cherokee) leads me to believe that they barely (1 time out of 12 tries) work:

Are they THIS bad? [I was hoping for a little more of a nanny.]
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I decided against this option when I found out how much it would be to replace the windshield.
I haven't had my JL windshield replaced yet, but there didn't seem to be any difference in cost with windshield replacement for my Acura. That being said, for my Acura, the windshield repair place recommended getting the cameras re-calibrated, probably so they wouldn't be liable if the system didn't work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I spoke to a women who owns a windshield repair/replace shop. She said that they have one employee who specializes in the calibrations. Keeps this person busy full time.

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky Oneā€“Touch Power Top
I'm interested on comments on all of the features, but particularly interested in the forward collision warning/prevention. This YouTube video (Cherokee) leads me to believe that they barely (1 time out of 12 tries) work:

Are they THIS bad? [I was hoping for a little more of a nanny.]
Does not work great at all. Many false positives.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The advanced safety system has stopped me twice slammed on the brakes to dead stop ā€”ā€” each time in a parking garage going up a ramp with nothing around. Scared the crap out of me twice. So, I deactivated it. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I donā€™t trust the system. A relative has a Ram. He almost got rear ended at one point because his ā€œsafety systemā€ system triggered and slammed on his brakes.

If escalators worked as good as this FCA system, nobody would ride them.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I can only comment on the regular safety package with blind spot detection and the radar sensing when backing up. All that works great. My wife's Crosstrek has the vision system with adaptive cruise, collision avoidance, lane departure and it works flawlessly. If it worked the same way in the Jeep it would be a good option.

Huskywrangler

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I had a jeep Cherokee that the forward collision saved me a couple of times from other drivers. However, it was normally turned off because it randomly locked up on the brakes...

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The advanced safety system has stopped me twice slammed on the brakes to dead stop ā€”ā€” each time in a parking garage going up a ramp with nothing around. Scared the crap out of me twice. So, I deactivated it. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I donā€™t trust the system. A relative has a Ram. He almost got rear ended at one point because his ā€œsafety systemā€ system triggered and slammed on his brakes.

If escalators worked as good as this FCA system, nobody would ride them.
Interestingly, Consumer Reports (who I trust at this sort of stuff) named Chrysler and Ram as having the best systems (along with Lexus and Lincoln).

You'd think that some Chrysler/RAM DNA would rub off on Jeep.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/forward-collision-warning-guide/

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I stayed away because this stuff still freaks me out. Too many stories about false stops even in good weather conditions. I can't imagine what happens when you're in a snow storm or a wind storm and stuff is blowing all over the road (leaves or bags or other things that won't hurt your car but will make it come to a screeching halt). And I wonder if you become dependent on those blind side monitors like people have become dependent on their back up cameras and sensors.

What happened to just being good, attentive drivers?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Interestingly, Consumer Reports (who I trust at this sort of stuff) named Chrysler and Ram as having the best systems (along with Lexus and Lincoln).

You'd think that some Chrysler/RAM DNA would rub off on Jeep.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/forward-collision-warning-guide/
The ā€œbestā€ systems or the most ā€œsatisfiedā€ users?

those are two different things entirely. I scanned the article. It was full of quotes from ā€˜satisfiedā€™ customers. I did not see any science. And, they didnā€™t ask me to respond to a ā€œsatisfactionā€ survey.

all I can tell you is that in 2 months of owning a Jeep I received 2 false positives in a parking garage. There is another thread here that describe many issues. I also know personally of others who have had false positives with FCA products, And, I can tell you that I turned mine off. I donā€™t need to be rear ended because the Jeep decides to slam on the brakes for no reason and I donā€™t need to have it scare the crap out of me in a parking garage either.

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler 2dr
I have it and love it, never had a false positive. Itā€™s an FCA system but not on the Jeep though so maybe different system because the sensor is in the front grill and it has lane departure plus auto parking which isnā€™t on the Jeep I donā€™t think. I just like the adaptive cruise while in stop and go traffic so I donā€™t have to constantly be braking.
Iā€™m looking at adding a gladiator to the stable soon and will probably look for the option on it.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
You can turn off forward collision so it doesnā€™t brake and just have the warning beeps go off. I have it on this setting. Too bad I canā€™t take advantage of this feature since I paid for it but itā€™s nice that itā€™ll still beep to warn me.

I absolutely love the blind spot and cross path detection. My previous car only flashed a light on the side mirrors (which I never saw) when somebody was in my blind spot but my Jeep beeps as well which is hugely helpful to me. Park assist is great too, very convenient and helpful.
Sponsored