Sponsored

How to turn backup lights on with engine off (for testing)?

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
One of my Oracle LED backup lights isn’t working and I need to test the wiring to them with the motor off but auto transmission in reverse. Is there any way to do this? I can only shift into reverse with the engine running.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Tried to on mine with no luck here. You may find there is no wiring issue but a dead light itself. Swap the one that's not working with one that you know works. Just plug it in. If same results then it's a wiring or plug issue. If it works then you know where the problem is.

Edit: You'll need an assistant to observe the light to verify I suppose.

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
You could jack the Jeep onto stands. Shift the T-Case to neutral and set in reverse. No spinning driveshafts or wheels.

lombnad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
One of my Oracle LED backup lights isn’t working and I need to test the wiring to them with the motor off but auto transmission in reverse. Is there any way to do this? I can only shift into reverse with the engine running.
I put my seatbelt on behind me, shift into reverse while its running and apply ebrake, probably not the safest but it works. That being said,
Oracle has been the biggest joke company I've ever dealt with and I would never purchase anything from them ever again.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Don't do it! If you run over yourself (like the idiot that got us "auto park") Jeep will have to incorporate 32 interlocks that all have to be engaged to put it reverse on future models.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BLACKMOAB

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
I put my seatbelt on behind me, shift into reverse while its running and apply ebrake, probably not the safest but it works. That being said,
Oracle has been the biggest joke company I've ever dealt with and I would never purchase anything from them ever again.
I determined that my left Oracle back-up light is fried. They’re still in warranty so they should replace it for no charge. I sent them a claim form and pictures today. Hopefully they’ll do the right thing. They both worked great for ten months and they’ve never been wet, leaked water or formed any condensation.
Jeep Wrangler JL How to turn backup lights on with engine off (for testing)? FF8EA31D-9B7B-4866-88C3-4394F6ACC8A3
Jeep Wrangler JL How to turn backup lights on with engine off (for testing)? 374673BF-D3AF-4321-B232-F59516FFA8A3

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@BLACKMOAB

Expect to be paying that company a tad under $10 for shipping of your replacement of that problematic light to you.. Not right but that is what you will find. They should ship the replacement to you for free.... but no, no they will not.

Be sure to post your experience with that company here.

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
I determined that my left Oracle back-up light is fried. They’re still in warranty so they should replace it for no charge. I sent them a claim form and pictures today. Hopefully they’ll do the right thing. They both worked great for ten months and they’ve never been wet, leaked water or formed any condensation.
Hey there, thanks for submitting a claim, and we are sorry that you are having trouble here. A rep will be reaching out to assist with your claim shortly!

We provide customers with multiple options (including one that does not involve any shipping cost) with NO COST for replacement. This option is provided to the customer every time in the event they do not wish to pay shipping; we offer the shipping option in case the customer would like to get the product ahead of time.

-Rachel

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the no shipping cost is you send the defective product back at no cost and wait for them to do their testing and if it fails their test then they ship you a new product but if you want a new product ahead of their testing I believe this is where you pay shipping, I could be wrong on this but that’s my understanding.

I went a different route and went with Raxiom LED for tails and I paid $28 for a warranty that requires me to do nothing more than tell them the product failed and provide some basic info and they ship a new product and don’t want the other back 👍🏻

Warranty replacement should be pleasant regardless of the product as the owner already has to deal with issues of a failed product and with that goes lots of headaches sometimes so we as owners have to choose what we this is best for us and I will gladly pay a bit more for less headaches as life is to short to stress.
Sponsored