How to tighten steering.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Jeep Cares is a joke. They assigned me a case manager who never responds to anything I send them or return messages. I have a JL that I have owned for a little over two months and it has spent more time in the shop then on the road.
Seems most agree with your Jeep Scares, I mean Jeep Cares. experience - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/how-was-your-jeep-cares-experience.11874/ Same for Jeep Chat - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/poll-how-was-your-experience-with-jeep-chat.11979/ Hopefully their management will read these polls and start some serious firing within those departments.

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
When I asked the dealer about other customers steering issues after they fixed mine, they say when they get customer complaints about the steering, they either get "it is perfect now" or "it is way better than before" after adjusting the steering box. If they get the "it is way better than before" comment, they remind the customer that a Wrangler is more in the truck category, not a BMW category. To which, most customers respond with "good point".
True, as I have both an F150 (2009) and a BMW. The only problem with the statement above is....my old F150 steers way better than my JL Wrangler

Jlrut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sahara sold: 2dr Rub ordered 1/17 traded: 2019 2 door picked up 12/27
Been reading this thread. I've got @500 miles on my JL Rubicon. The first thing I noticed was the drift. I'd read other comments before picking mine up, but until experiencing it myself I did not fully understand. I've owned a 79CJ, 2002 TJ, and 2012 JK (not to mention growing up with a M38). None drove like this and I agree it's a safety issue. My son drove it to have paint protection film installed and was beside himself. I know how steering should and should not be. If yours doesn't drift that's great and those of us that have the "drift" should have a fixable situation.

I hope FCA addresses this prior to an accident driving this certainly causes me to be uncomfortable at highway speeds.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Been reading this thread. I've got @500 miles on my JL Rubicon. The first thing I noticed was the drift. I'd read other comments before picking mine up, but until experiencing it myself I did not fully understand. I've owned a 79CJ, 2002 TJ, and 2012 JK (not to mention growing up with a M38). None drove like this and I agree it's a safety issue. My son drove it to have paint protection film installed and was beside himself. I know how steering should and should not be. If yours doesn't drift that's great and those of us that have the "drift" should have a fixable situation.

I hope FCA addresses this prior to an accident driving this certainly causes me to be uncomfortable at highway speeds.
You should first check your tire pressure to match the amount listed on your door jam, then bring into the dealership and have them adjust the steering box. If that doesn't fix all of it, then have them troubleshoot it. You might need a new steering box or something else. Some (small amount) of the drift I was experiencing went away with the tire pressure change, then the rest of it was fixed at the dealership when they adjusted the steering box. I almost didn't go to the dealership because so many people on this forum said it was a "Jeep thing". It wasn't a Jeep thing after all, just like you described referencing prior Jeep experience.

Sponsored

ferrellmc

First Name
Ferrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Try this experiment, drive at speed and begin a broad gentle bend in the road, say a left turn, and put pressure on the gears in the steering box, thereby eliminating the slop in the gearbox. If you hold that pressure in the gentle bend with slight adjustments applying some skill here to match the arc then the steering box is no longer part of the problem. If the Jeep veers left (remember the bend is left) then I suspect that the problem is not the gearbox but something else, given a consistent road crown, no wind etc.

My Jeep did veer left in the left bend in the example above. I had to cross-over the center slack area of the steering box and compensate by turning right. Remember the arc of the road is nearly perfectly equal to your tension on the steering wheel holding the jeep in the same arc.

I took it to the dealer and said I wanted the ball joints re-torqued, "sure no problem" two days later they tell me they inspected the ball joints and didn't see any grease or oil coming out. I pressed, no re-torque was done. I told them what I wanted again. They torqued 55ft lbs top ball joints, 33ft lbs bottom. The steering improved noticeably but I can tell the steering box still has slack.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I dont have any "dead zone"
Can you explain a bit further or post a video. For example when you move your steering wheel do the tires move at the same time when at the 12 o’clock position. That’s where everyone is reporting the dead zone.

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
Don't buy a wrangler.........
This, I honestly have no clue what you people are talking about with he steering. Try troubleshooting a JK on 37's and then come talk to me. When you buy a new car or truck one thing you look at is handling characteristics during the test drive. If you don't like don't buy. No amount of steering stabilizers and nonsense is going to fix the handling on a solid front axle 5 link set up.

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere, Aprilia Tuono, BMW S1000XR
This, I honestly have no clue what you people are talking about with he steering. Try troubleshooting a JK on 37's and then come talk to me. When you buy a new car or truck one thing you look at is handling characteristics during the test drive. If you don't like don't buy. No amount of steering stabilizers and nonsense is going to fix the handling on a solid front axle 5 link set up.
Then, why post?? I really don't understand the disdain for folks that are reporting an issue.

This is a very real problem for many folks. The first JL Sport I test drove was terrible. The salesman told me they all do that. It is a Jeep thing. Another JL Sport I tested was better but still not as good as it should be. Two Rubicons that I tested were fine. Many folks are excited about a new vehicle and let emotion overcome any reservations they may have during the test drive. Once they live with it for awhile they will notice things they didn't notice before.

Apparently, "Jeep thing" is a term that gets thrown around quite a bit when someone notices a deficiency. Perhaps if owners would hold FCA accountable that term would go away, at least as far as problems are concerned.

Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Can you explain a bit further or post a video. For example when you move your steering wheel do the tires move at the same time when at the 12 o’clock position. That’s where everyone is reporting the dead zone.
Yeah, just a slight movement with cause the tires to move...

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
Then, why post?? I really don't understand the disdain for folks that are reporting an issue.

This is a very real problem for many folks. The first JL Sport I test drove was terrible. The salesman told me they all do that. It is a Jeep thing. Another JL Sport I tested was better but still not as good as it should be. Two Rubicons that I tested were fine. Many folks are excited about a new vehicle and let emotion overcome any reservations they may have during the test drive. Once they live with it for awhile they will notice things they didn't notice before.

Apparently, "Jeep thing" is a term that gets thrown around quite a bit when someone notices a deficiency. Perhaps if owners would hold FCA accountable that term would go away, at least as far as problems are concerned.
Ok first, Relax,
Second, i find it extremely hard to believe that you bounced around from Jep JL sport to sport and have different steering feedback from them . From Rubicon to sport OK because of the axle width increase. Yes the updated electro/hydro upgrade from previous generation partially allows control over steering trim via the jeeps computer but no way is there that much of a differentiation. This problem is systemic. Keen advertising and marketing and a refresh in interior etc has people who drive BMW's and IFS cars (mostly) and some trucks to look at the JL as a viable option now for the "cool factor". The simple fact is people who have driven jeeps for a while understand the lineage and how short wheel based vehicles with solid axles handle on the road. Dude you think the steering is bad on a JL try a leaf sprung CJ on 35's dude see how you feel about going on the highway at 70-75 and tell me if that wonders.

So in essence yes, the JL has come quantum leaps since then and the people how have brand loyalty like myself actually love the steering feel of this jeep. The outboard shocks in the rear and longer axles on the rubicon have done wonders as far as calming down the flightiness on the highway. My 2 JK's with 35's and 37's (with greater than stock caster) wondered at highway speeds at times even after all kinds of fox stabilizers etc. And theres so many reasons for that that I won't get into. So a Sport S on pizza cutter 32's ?? cmon... So yea a sudden influx of people coming from driving Honda Civics, or Acura, Or BMW, or Mercedes are gonna be a bit off put. The thing thats annoying is that they post a million times on the thread about it and to distill it down to one sentence I agree with @OnlyOne when he said "don't buy a wrangler". Because he's right. Driving is about enjoyment... If a truck handles like crap to you when you test it I'd Balk....
Chevy colorado ZR2 handle Amazing on the highway, so do Mercedes G wagons.... Lots of other choices out there... Now, if theres a defect in manufacturing , or a problem with steering safety as a result of a computer programming issue well for sure get that looked at and taken care of so yr safe.

PS

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere, Aprilia Tuono, BMW S1000XR
Ok first, Relax,
Second, i find it extremely hard to believe that you bounced around from Jep JL sport to sport and have different steering feedback from them . .
That's right, I just made it up like everybody else that claims to have a steering issue. :headbang:

Your previous experiences with 35's or 45's on your JK's has ZERO bearing on the current issue.

Nothing you have posted will help anyone resolve this very real problem.

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
That's right, I just made it up like everybody else that claims to have a steering issue. :headbang:

Your previous experiences with 35's or 45's on your JK's has ZERO bearing on the current issue.

Nothing you have posted will help anyone resolve this very real problem.
What you think is a problem is the way these jeeps are engineered... Try a truck with IFS .... you'll be happier
Sponsored