alltimesaresoon

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
i emailed and called in parallel. the email got answered about 3 weeks after i already had the replacement top from the phone call. make the call. you will likely wait on hold for an hour or so but it's worth it as the customer service is great once you reach them.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering now about these tops long-term.
I have only read a few times on these Z clips breaking, one would think that it would be designed to slide the broken cable out and new one in but I honestly never looked to see how the cable is attached to the SR top.

If nothing else maybe @Bestop should possibly look at a slight mod that would allow the cable to be replaced without having to replace the top.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Geez.....sounds like more that just a few have broken. Not a great design then.

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
Geez.....sounds like more that just a few have broken. Not a great design then.
Over a few forums, I saw more broken z-clip that I bother counting. That said, I bought the first version when it released. The model number has been discontinued and replaced, which makes me think newer revisions must fair better. Mine lasted 2 years. We'll see how long the new one does... when I find the time to call.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine likely won’t break anytime soon as it’s open more than closed so not under a lot of tension 😉 I will check it more often now that I see these popping up.

Maybe @Bestop can chime in soon and give there take on this issue, the SR seems very well made but this is apparently a wear spot, I know they have an outstanding warranty for the SR but I would hate to think after the warranty is gone that I would have to replace my SR top because of a silly clip as that would be pretty pricy.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Well, replacement top is on its way....eventually. CS guy said it will take a few weeks to get. And my broken one is from the old part number. So, like @Prevok said, there is a new part number. Hopefully the new one lasts longer than 2yrs.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well, replacement top is on its way....eventually. CS guy said it will take a few weeks to get. And my broken one is from the old part number. So, like @Prevok said, there is a new part number. Hopefully the new one lasts longer than 2yrs.
IMHO the top should be designed where this particular part is replaceable, would save @Bestop a fair amount of $$$ allowing the owner to slide in a replacement cable versus replacing. The entire top.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
IMHO the top should be designed where this particular part is replaceable, would save @Bestop a fair amount of $$$ allowing the owner to slide in a replacement cable versus replacing. The entire top.
Yeah, totally agree. And I just cleaned and treated this one with 303 protectant.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, totally agree. And I just cleaned and treated this one with 303 protectant.
I did the same just a few days ago, cleaned with 303 tonneau top cleaner and then a few light coats of 303 fabric guard allowing to dry between coats and before I did it I checked my Z clips and they seem solid but I have only had my top a few months, did not purchase from a second supplier got it directly from Bestop so hopefully I have the newer part number But still it comes down to if I take care of the fabric and treat the material often with a protectant I’m gonna pissed if it fails on a non replaceable clip after the warranty is up.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I did the same just a few days ago, cleaned with 303 tonneau top cleaner and then a few light coats of 303 fabric guard allowing to dry between coats and before I did it I checked my Z clips and they seem solid but I have only had my top a few months, did not purchase from a second supplier got it directly from Bestop so hopefully I have the newer part number But still it comes down to if I take care of the fabric and treat the material often with a protectant I’m gonna pissed if it fails on a non replaceable clip after the warranty is up.
If you’ve got the twill one, it’s lifetime warranty.....per the website.

657ED6D8-2782-46D1-9A15-DC52245DE6AE.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
alltimesaresoon

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
What's that keyword limited mean?

OP
OP
alltimesaresoon

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
Essentially non transferrable and limited to the actual parts, not extendable to anything beyond.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Essentially non transferrable and limited to the actual parts, not extendable to anything beyond.
Well I have the twill version so hopefully all will be taken care of if something comes up, the entire SR top seems well built but the clip thing seems like the only weak spot.

OP
OP
alltimesaresoon

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
I think it's ok if you leave the latches on the front loose. If you start to tighten them to reduce windnoise, the stress point will be the z clip, and eventually it may fail.
Sponsored