Sponsored

How durable are the stock JL driveshafts after installing a 3.5” lift?

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
How durable are the stock JL driveshafts after installing a 3.5” lift? I’ve seen a full spectrum of answers, and I don’t know what to believe. Thanks.
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Rear's fine so far, but I've shredded the CV boot on the front drive shaft where it connects to the transfer case. Still going, but I'll need to replace it soon.

Tearing the CV boot seems to be very common. Not an earth-shattering thing, but it will eventually start to get clunky.

PS: Thank you for your service, Sergeant!

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Depends on shock length more than lift height. In 2wd your front shaft doesn't spin. And your rear shaft is long enough to accommodate a steeper angle driving down the road. Big droop while off road in 4wd is what kills your driveshafts, mainly the front. And that depends on your shock length.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Can you crawl under when on flat ground and snap some pictures? I’m curious if any part is hitting or rubbing against anything?

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Rear's fine so far, but I've shredded the CV boot on the front drive shaft where it connects to the transfer case. Still going, but I'll need to replace it soon.

Tearing the CV boot seems to be very common. Not an earth-shattering thing, but it will eventually start to get clunky.

PS: Thank you for your service, Sergeant!
Michael, thank you for your support! How many miles do you have on your lift? I’m trying to get a sense of longevity. Thank you sir!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Can you crawl under when on flat ground and snap some pictures? I’m curious if any part is hitting or rubbing against anything?
Kevin, who are you asking?

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Kevin, who are you asking?
You sir. I’ve also heard split opinions with a 3.5” lift on whether the drive shaft needs to be replaced. I’d look to see if it’s rubbing against anything and also how much stress is on the ends?

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
You sir. I’ve also heard split opinions with a 3.5” lift on whether the drive shaft needs to be replaced. I’d look to see if it’s rubbing against anything and also how much stress is on the ends?
Kevin, I’m sorry, it’s late and I’m half asleep. I wasn’t sure who you were asking ;)

The lift was just installed last week, and I only have a little over 10K miles on it, so I’m pretty sure there’s not going to be damage yet. I’m just trying to think ahead and avoid damage. I really need to have it fully flexed and then crawl underneath to see if anything is rubbing.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
How durable are the stock JL driveshafts after installing a 3.5” lift? I’ve seen a full spectrum of answers, and I don’t know what to believe. Thanks.
What’s the extended length of your shocks? If it’s less than 29 inches you’ll be ok.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Kevin, I’m sorry, it’s late and I’m half asleep. I wasn’t sure who you were asking ;)

The lift was just installed last week, and I only have a little over 10K miles on it, so I’m pretty sure there’s not going to be damage yet. I’m just trying to think ahead and avoid damage. I really need to have it fully flexed and then crawl underneath to see if anything is rubbing.
What shocks are you running and how often do you plan on fully flexing it?(not on a flex ramp)

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
What’s the extended length of your shocks? If it’s less than 29 inches you’ll be ok.
I imagine you heard that from Rock Krawler. My front shocks extend to 28" and the front OEM driveshaft boot is starting to tear and the flange is deformed.
EYT0FtM.jpg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I imagine you heard that from Rock Krawler. My front shocks extend to 28" and the front OEM driveshaft boot is starting to tear and the flange is deformed.
EYT0FtM.jpg
I’ve heard it all over the web, but it’s been my own experience. I bent that flange up with my Mopar lift, shocks only extend 26-1/2 inches. Hardly catastrophic. And the boots are junk. But I’ve never had u joint problems until extending 30” .

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I’ve heard it all over the web, but it’s been my own experience. I bent that flange up with my Mopar lift, shocks only extend 26-1/2 inches. Hardly catastrophic. And the boots are junk. But I’ve never had u joint problems until extending 30” .
Have you ran front shocks on your JL that extend 26.5" up to 29"? What are you basing your claim on saying the OP will be ok running shocks that extend less than 29"? My front shocks extend to 28" and I'm going to have to replace the front driveshaft.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Have you ran front shocks on your JL that extend 26.5" up to 29"? What are you basing your claim on saying the OP will be ok running shocks that extend less than 29"? My front shocks extend to 28" and I'm going to have to replace the front driveshaft.
Im basing my recommendations on my own experiences. If this has not been your experience then tell the man. And yes ..I’ve ran both extended lengths. Mopar lift was 26.5 ish inches, the rk is 29.5 ish. It also has a lot to do with how you wheel it.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
MetalCloak 3.5 Game changer with the 6paks. I did have a longer driveshaft made and changed the yoke on front of t case. Smaller diameter, beefier material with 1310 u joints. 1-1/2 yrs zero issues. Full flex, water, mud, snow and sand.
Sponsored