Sponsored

How do you pronounce 'Willys'?

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
What if the old guy didn't even know how to pronounce his own name? It takes extra effort to sound an E so maybe he was lazy or just talked weird like many of his day.

I like the Will-eez version so I'll stick with that. People get worked up over these car names. I ran into a couple of people who insisted on adding a giant ass AH at the end of Porche and then tried to always "correct" you when you didn't add their mythical "AH" sound. Then there's the ear cringing way some pronounce Jaguar: They over emphasize each syllable - "Jag You Are" with pauses and all, like that's supposed to be something! LOL!

I just wish people whould stop adding the letter T to the back of the word "across" or NOT adding the T at the very end of the word "height." Then there's the group that likes to pronounce the silent T in "often." Next we'll start hearing people trying to pronounce the D in "wednesday" LOL!!
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Promotional video from the early 50s or so. Pronounced Will-eez mostly in this one.

Pronounced Will-iss in this one.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
I heard Willis a couple months ago for the first time. I have friends that have 41, 42 Willys coupes when I told them they laughed. Personally I don't know any jeep owner that calls it a Willis. Its a new one in this area.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
great video. My understanding is, back in the day 1908, it was Willys-Overland Motors and pronounced, Willis, as was the founder, John North Willys family name. WWII and Jeep seems to be the period folks started up Willyeeze.

Last edited:

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Promotional video from the early 50s or so. Pronounced Will-eez mostly in this one.

Pronounced Will-iss in this one.

I love the "Jeepers, that's just what I need!" quote.

1,500 miles on $15.35 worth of gas is also pretty compelling!

I thought that overland was a relatively new term. Apparently not.

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Then there's the ear cringing way some pronounce Jaguar: They over emphasize each syllable - "Jag You Are" with pauses and all, like that's supposed to be something! LOL!
I'm not British, but often enjoy pronouncing things like Jag-u-ar and alu-min-ium just to be a douche. ;)

camo4stealth

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW R 1250RS-'20, BMW R 1250GS-'20, Ducati 950SS
Occupation
Taxpayer
Willeez, kind of like willy and the poor boys.

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

It's pronounced "Willies" for example the hot rodders don't call a 1940's car a Willis, it's a Willys (willies) coupe/sedan long before the Jeep existed

Regards,
Jim

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I'm not British, but often enjoy pronouncing things like Jag-u-ar and alu-min-ium just to be a douche. ;)
Down here we say Jag-wahr. Up north they say Jag-wire.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I love the "Jeepers, that's just what I need!" quote.

1,500 miles on $15.35 worth of gas is also pretty compelling!

I thought that overland was a relatively new term. Apparently not.
Can you imagine going to a service station today (they few that are left) and finding the guy wearing a bow tie, service hat and a mechanics coat?

Sponsored

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
I grew up in Toledo and had relatives who worked at the old plant and I never heard it pronounced like Bruce Willis.
I don’t know the correct pronunciation but the colloquial pronunciation is “Willeeze”.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I saw an old interview where John Willys said his name like “Willis.” So, if you are being technical, it would be said that way. However, it is more fun to say like “Billy,” so I still say it that way.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

What if the old guy didn't even know how to pronounce his own name? It takes extra effort to sound an E so maybe he was lazy or just talked weird like many of his day.

I like the Will-eez version so I'll stick with that. People get worked up over these car names. I ran into a couple of people who insisted on adding a giant ass AH at the end of Porche and then tried to always "correct" you when you didn't add their mythical "AH" sound. Then there's the ear cringing way some pronounce Jaguar: They over emphasize each syllable - "Jag You Are" with pauses and all, like that's supposed to be something! LOL!

I just wish people whould stop adding the letter T to the back of the word "across" or NOT adding the T at the very end of the word "height." Then there's the group that likes to pronounce the silent T in "often." Next we'll start hearing people trying to pronounce the D in "wednesday" LOL!!
My wife says, "Don't axe me!" instead of "Don't ask me!" I laugh and tease her every time.
Sponsored