How did you decide on your engine?

Francis405

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue 2 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6
3.6, mine is a 2018, which I bought in 2019 used with only 2400 miles. I'm satisfied with the 6 cylinder, but I know that the turbo 4 is superior in most cases and would have probably gotten one if I bought new.

One of my friends has a 4 door Rubicon and has the turbo 4 and it has impressive power for a 4 door wrangler.
Sponsored

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
What were the driving factors that lead to your engine choice? I've been on the fence between the 3.6 and the 2.0T. I'm leaning towards the 3.6 because of the long track record, smooth power, and the sound, sound is oddly important to me. What I don't like is the reduced fuel economy and lower power compared to the 2.0T. I've owned turbos in the past with terrible curves making the gas pedal feel like a toggle switch.

My JLUR will be on 35's and a daily driver with a very short commute to work and day trips out of town through the mountains about once a month. Next year I would like to try some 3 day overlanding trips here in the PNW. I think part of my hang up with the 2.0T is a turbo seems strange in a wrangler, but that's just me and I would get used to it, it's proven to be a good engine so far. I'm not excited about premium gas though.

For choosing an engine the most important considerations, in order, are reliability, enough power to feel confident in all driving conditions, range, fuel economy, and maintenance cost.
It was easy. I went with the engine that has the proven track record. I average about 23 MPG which is good enough for me.

Tyderian

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0 Turbo
Clubs

I just went and drove both. I decided on the 2.0T because of the mileage and have found it super reliable and responsive. I have never used premium gas, always 87 or 89 in a pinch. Still get 22-25 mpg combined and I'm super happy with it still.

Bilal074

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 6spd JL rubicon
What were the driving factors that lead to your engine choice? I've been on the fence between the 3.6 and the 2.0T. I'm leaning towards the 3.6 because of the long track record, smooth power, and the sound, sound is oddly important to me. What I don't like is the reduced fuel economy and lower power compared to the 2.0T. I've owned turbos in the past with terrible curves making the gas pedal feel like a toggle switch.

My JLUR will be on 35's and a daily driver with a very short commute to work and day trips out of town through the mountains about once a month. Next year I would like to try some 3 day overlanding trips here in the PNW. I think part of my hang up with the 2.0T is a turbo seems strange in a wrangler, but that's just me and I would get used to it, it's proven to be a good engine so far. I'm not excited about premium gas though.

For choosing an engine the most important considerations, in order, are reliability, enough power to feel confident in all driving conditions, range, fuel economy, and maintenance cost.
The 3.6 is a weak engine. The gears on my rubicon strugle to keep it at 100 on the highway i need to go to 4th sometime in my manual 6spd to keep it at 100kmph.
The 2.0L would and was great but I needed a manual. It’s crap the 3.6. If you go for that make sure you change the gears otherwise enjoy driving 40mph. First and second are pretty strong gears you go fast 3 is okay. 4th feels like 6th gear and 6th is like total overdrive. To enjoy 6th gear you’re speed should be at 75mph min.

Sponsored

Raven99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Clubs

Like others, I chose the 6 over the turbo 4 because I preferred less complexity. Also the fact that the six has been around for a number of years I am confident that it has been pretty well sorted out. Not looking for a hot rod jeep, just a dependable daily driver. So far so good :knockonwood:

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I bought both the V6 and the Turbo used so I didnt really have a dog in the hunt. I will say after spending a month in the little Turbo that it is more fun to drive. The V6 seemed like a solid performer but lacked the punchy feeling the turbo has on the highway. I am lifting it next week and adding 37's so we shall see if I still feel the same way in another month. My guess is that I wont...

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Something to think about when you are concerned about complexity. The 2.0 turbo and 3.6 are probably a wash. The 2.0 has the turbo and all the related components. The 3.6 6-cylinder has 50% more internal parts than the 2.0 4-cylinder. It has a second head, 2 more pistons, rods, bearing sets, injectors, extra 2 sets of valves, valve springs, ignition components, second exhaust manifold, more catalytic converters, 02 sensors, etc. The 3.6 automatic has the eTorque components which are warranted beyond the power train warranty. Same with the turbo. Those components are covered under the longer Federal Emissions Warranty.

I am not advocating one engine over the other. I honestly like both. I really think BOTH are very reliable. They do drive different. One engine might suite someone better than the other. Say someone who lives at altitude. Or someone who is planning on buying larger, heavier wheels and tires. Or someone who wants a little farther drivng range. Other people might prefer the smoother, quieter, liner power delivery of a naturally asperated engine. Would you prefer the eTorque smoother start stop and the extra torque it provides at start up? Or maybe the eTorque cooling and extra components worry you? Or it might boil down to price? At the end of the day I don't think there is a bad choice. Both engines and start stop systems are probably equally as reliable at this point. Let your ass decide. Lol. Just pick the engine you like driving more after test drives. You can even ask the dealer NOT TO TELL YOU which engine you are test driving to avoid personal bias. Just make sure you try "like" models with the same gearing and axle ratios and tire sizes.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Well after feeling all of that torque and looking down at the mpg climbing past 30, I was sold and bought my green beast with the Cummins 3.0T Diesel.
And here we thought the Wrangler's 3.0L diesel engine was manufactured in Italy by VM Motori S.p.A. 🤔

Sponsored

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
The 3.6 is a weak engine. The gears on my rubicon strugle to keep it at 100 on the highway i need to go to 4th sometime in my manual 6spd to keep it at 100kmph.
The 2.0L would and was great but I needed a manual. It’s crap the 3.6. If you go for that make sure you change the gears otherwise enjoy driving 40mph. First and second are pretty strong gears you go fast 3 is okay. 4th feels like 6th gear and 6th is like total overdrive. To enjoy 6th gear you’re speed should be at 75mph min.

See kids.....don't do drugs

Dakeca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Only really considered the diesel, great power, fuel economy, etc.. don’t think it’s too loud since Jeeps in general aren’t the quietest at speed anyhow. No regrets thus far.

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
This is the dumbest thing I've read all day.

But hey, the day's just getting started.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I keep reading claim after claim about the "complexity" of an inline motor vs a v-block, and the same about a turbocharger. Anyone care to elaborate?

This is not for the sake of being argumentative. This is for the sake of spreading factual information that could actually help someone. Not masking thoughts and feelings as knowledge.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
2.0 - More complex engine, is 4 banger, should use premium fuel
3.6 - proven, past experience, regular gas and go
3.0 - cost, diesal cost, oil change cost, def cost, regen, etc
4xe - limited electric range, 1st gen
392 - cost

If by some lucky chance, in 2022, I find a used 392 at a reasonable price I might grab one.

If Jeep releases certain colours in 2022 model year, I’ll order one with the 3.6 eTorque. Will be trading in my 2019 with 3.6 ESS.

Supposedly a new inline six is in the works. An engine that will replace a number of current engines in multiple vehicles. Not holding my breath though.

I could get excited about Hybrd but don’t think I’ll get on that bandwagon until the JL replacement in 2028.
Sponsored