Hood Strut Kit

KGriner

First Name
K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I recently purchased an inexpensive hood strut kit on Amazon. There was no way I’m going to pay $100 to prop my hood up once every couple of months so I thought I would give it a try it was only $30!

Anyway, I get the kit and it’s exactly like some of the other ones pictured on the Internet and here on the forums but it’s in a generic box… You know China, everything probably comes from one big factory!

I got the system installed on my jeep, it works perfectly, with one caveat, you have to supply your own metal screws.

Everything seems to be good quality, I got the install done and only drilled 4 holes in inside wall of the hood, Which is normal for all of these installations on the JL, there’s no other way to do it…Instructions we’re vague/Crap, pictures were a little dark but honestly, anyone with moderate knowledge and some tools can get this done!
Jeep Wrangler JL Hood Strut Kit {filename}

One thing you can see in the photos, I haven’t trimmed my hood liner yet but I do intend to trim around the strut mount on the hood end. Also the directions did clearly show that the install was done with one screw facing up and the other one facing down so, as you can see on the pictures, I followed that.

All in all I’m happy with the purchase, if anything goes wrong in the future I’ll posted here but from everything I’ve seen, these are exactly like the $100 hood struts I’ve seen in various places on the Internet… $60 saved!

Only one review on Amazon and it sounds like the guy was clueless about how to get it installed so he gave it 2 stars… I gave it 3 or 4 because the screws weren’t included

Pics attached and I’m trying to upload a video but error message is saying it doesn’t have an allowed extension even though I have posted videos before...

Hope this link works:
https://www.amazon.com/HEQIANG-Supp..._a_1_4?keywords=heqiang&qid=1575562648&sr=8-4

Sponsored

Last edited:

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It’s funny....there are no reviews on there now.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Actually, the other ones, (so called $100 ones), don't require any drilling. So there's the trade-off, cheaper but I have to drill holes? Or a bit more expensive but no drilling whatsoever. Seems like a valid reason to buy the latter.

OP
OP
KGriner

KGriner

First Name
K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Actually, the other ones, (so called $100 ones), don't require any drilling. So there's the trade-off, cheaper but I have to drill holes? Or a bit more expensive but no drilling whatsoever. Seems like a valid reason to buy the latter.
I looked on youtube and all the installs I saw had to drill or use self tapping screws...Ive never seen the others but don't kno where or how they would mount, theres no place to secure the metal plate on the JL.

Above and beyond that, I aint fraid of no ghost, I live in Az, we don't rust...

Trail_Bandit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I have the system from Redline Tuning and confirm they bolt in with no drilling. It took me less that 10 minutes to install and they work great! They have Quick release end fittings on the lower mounts so I can release them and lean the hood on the windshield. :like:

https://www.redlinetuning.com/product-p/21-20003-02.htm

Sponsored

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
[QUOTE="They have Quick release end fittings on the lower mounts so I can release them and lean the hood on the windshield. [/QUOTE]

Thanks! I was just going to ask about this.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I have the system from Redline Tuning and confirm they bolt in with no drilling. It took me less that 10 minutes to install and they work great! They have Quick release end fittings on the lower mounts so I can release them and lean the hood on the windshield. :like:

I got a pair of red lines on a sale for $65 each.. Wife loves it because she can't easily prop the hood. Very high quality and I've heard excellent customer service.
I wouldn't knowingly buy a chinese knockoff of a locally designed and supported product.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Another positive nod for the Redline hood struts. I received these for Christmas. They installed in minutes and work quite well.

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
For those of you with the Redline Tuning struts, how much force does it take to close? @Punkindave I am a woman of small stature and like your wife, the prop is tough for me too. Just curious if once open, I'll be able to reach and pull it back down.

Trail_Bandit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
For those of you with the Redline Tuning struts, how much force does it take to close? @Punkindave I am a woman of small stature and like your wife, the prop is tough for me too. Just curious if once open, I'll be able to reach and pull it back down.
I think the Redline Tuning system is very well balanced. It has enough force to raise the hood easily, but not too much force that it it is difficult to pull the hood down to close. :like: If I remember correctly, they lift the hood to the same height as the factory prop rod (I took mine off). They are an awesome addition to any JL!

Sponsored

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive

It appears you have a 2018 Rubicon. I have a 2020 Rubicon and for some reason when I select my year/model I am being told that the QuickLift Plus will not work on my vehicle. Anyone have some guidance?

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
It appears you have a 2018 Rubicon. I have a 2020 Rubicon and for some reason when I select my year/model I am being told that the QuickLift Plus will not work on my vehicle. Anyone have some guidance?
I installed on my 2020 JLUR. No issues. It is just a database issue on their website.

Trail_Bandit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I found this text on their product description:
"Our Jeep Wrangler hood QuickLIFT PLUS system is designed to fit Jeep JL models: 2018 2019 2020 2021+. This system is our PLUS system which includes all-black mounting hardware and black e-coated gas springs with progressive slow-release over final inches of extension. Works with Rubicon, Sport, Sport S, Sahara, Willys, Black & Tan, Freedom, Sport Altitude, Sahara Altitude models."

There aren't any changes from my 2018 to your 2020 as far as the hood goes so you are good to go.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
Thanks for the feedback. I got burned with a Chinese hood strut kit that said it did as well, just verifying with those who had installed. Thanks!

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I think the Redline Tuning system is very well balanced. It has enough force to raise the hood easily, but not too much force that it it is difficult to pull the hood down to close. :like: If I remember correctly, they lift the hood to the same height as the factory prop rod (I took mine off). They are an awesome addition to any JL!
Thank you very much for your feedback!
Sponsored