Hood Star Decals

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU
I'm retired Army, and just got a new 2023 Willys JLU with the XR package in Sting Gray. I want to put a star decal on the hood as a nod to the Army.

For those of you who have actually put one on your hood, tell me about it. What brand (or where did you get it), and what was the installation like? Did you get it in "gloss" or "matte"? Is it holding up to wear?

Pics and links would be great. Thanks!

I'm considering this one from Amazon:

Jeep Wrangler JL Hood Star Decals Star decal.2.PNG
Sponsored

pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLU Rubicon, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Paul - I make these and make them out of wrap vinyl versus standard sign vinyl so they hold up a little better. Happy to work with you on mockups that show different sizes and such.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Pixel is the only place i will get my decals. Easy to work with and always great product

OP
OP
ArmyRN

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Paul - I make these and make them out of wrap vinyl versus standard sign vinyl so they hold up a little better. Happy to work with you on mockups that show different sizes and such.
That was quick. Glad I posted here.

Well here's your chance. Show me (us) what you've got. Seems like 20" is the standard size (based on my very limited search - convince me otherwise). I want it centered on the hood. Since the "Willys" writing on the hood looks like it is in gloss, I think I'd like the star in gloss too to match. I kinda like the distressed look.

I know close to nothing about installing something of this size. I have a fear of screwing up the install. Does it go on "wet" or "dry"? If wet, do yours come with an install kit (or is that just overkill?).

Got pics of your stars on Jeeps?

Sponsored

pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)
The install kit is a gimmick as far as the fluid - it has as much chance of breaking open in the package and ruining as it does staying closed, you can do the same thing with a spray bottle of water with a few drops of dish soap. I can send you a squeegee which is helpful. The 3M wrap vinyl makes things easier as well because it has air release technology in the adhesive that helps the install go smoother.

Here's what a 20" star looks like on a Willys Hood on the left, the right is 16". When you want to miss the hood bumpers, the 20" star might not fully fit on the hump where the 16" will:

Jeep Wrangler JL Hood Star Decals 1681757185795

OP
OP
ArmyRN

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)
See above - 22" would be too large, IMO. 16" or 18" would be my choice on a Willys.

the 3M 2080 Gloss Black would be the better choice on a larger star for install ease. The color labeled just "Black" is not air release material.

OP
OP
ArmyRN

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok... looks like I'll be ordering an 18" gloss black distress star tomorrow (gotta get ready for work right now). Too easy.

Got a link I can click on to order this (I don't remember seeing gloss black on your website)?

pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
That was quick. Glad I posted here.

Well here's your chance. Show me (us) what you've got. Seems like 20" is the standard size (based on my very limited search - convince me otherwise). I want it centered on the hood. Since the "Willys" writing on the hood looks like it is in gloss, I think I'd like the star in gloss too to match. I kinda like the distressed look.

I know close to nothing about installing something of this size. I have a fear of screwing up the install. Does it go on "wet" or "dry"? If wet, do yours come with an install kit (or is that just overkill?).

Got pics of your stars on Jeeps?
I also highly recommend pixeldecals. It can be slow on delivery (I believe he's a one man operation) but if you're looking for quality, he's the best. I replaced my "Rubicon" decal on my hood w/ a metallic grey and a reflective black border that almost matched the Granite paint for a ghosted look, and it came out just as I wanted.

PXL_20220820_220515019.jpg

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2022 Chevy Colorado
Vehicle Showcase
I'm retired Army, and just got a new 2023 Willys JLU with the XR package in Sting Gray. I want to put a star decal on the hood as a nod to the Army.

For those of you who have actually put one on your hood, tell me about it. What brand (or where did you get it), and what was the installation like? Did you get it in "gloss" or "matte"? Is it holding up to wear?

Pics and links would be great. Thanks!

I'm considering this one from Amazon:

Star decal.2.PNG
Quadratec, matte finish, wet application. very easy to put on.
thanks for your service. I put it on my wife's Jeep, in honor of her father (WWII vet), I was a Jar-head

Jeep Wrangler JL Hood Star Decals zzzz946

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OP
OP
ArmyRN

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See above - 22" would be too large, IMO. 16" or 18" would be my choice on a Willys.

the 3M 2080 Gloss Black would be the better choice on a larger star for install ease. The color labeled just "Black" is not air release material.
Is the "matte finish" an air release material? Looking at the Willys lettering on my JLU, I'm wondering now if it is more of a matte finish vs. a gloss. Don't think I could go wrong either way.

pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)
Yes, all of the materials at the bottom of the list with an up-charge are air release. You would want the 3M 2080 Series Matte Black or Gloss Black to get that feature when looking at black finishes. I definitely make many more of these in matte black than I do gloss black.
Sponsored