Hitch Upgrade Options

webbj010

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Xe High Altitude
In looking to add additional cargo capacity I opted to not go a roof mountain system and instead go with the hitch mount Yakima EXO system.

So far the system is awesome although it can quickly get super heavy and push the manufacturers weight limit. Since the system also swings out (super import for jeep owners) there is a huge risk of bending the hitch/Frame. The system comes with A jack to support the elbow but I would feel loads better if I could replace the hitch with something rated like a class 4 or class 5 receiver.

any suggestions?

354E0EC9-BEBF-46F0-9838-991F26A9D0E6.jpeg
Sponsored

ex220

First Name
Emiliano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Looks awesome! I am looking at the same setup. Did you have to add a hitch extended to get it to clear the tire? Sorry if this isn’t the answer to your question!

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Only thing i found to increase the hitch supported weight was the smittybilt xrc rear bumper. The integrated hitch is rated either 500 or 600 lbs by smittybilt. It is solid. I had a motorcycle carrier attached with a 400 lbs superbike with zero problems. (Carrier was another 75 lbs)

OP
OP

webbj010

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Xe High Altitude
Looks awesome! I am looking at the same setup. Did you have to add a hitch extended to get it to clear the tire? Sorry if this isn’t the answer to your question!
Thanks. It really has been an awesome way to ad storage without having to climb up and down. My spouse is very happy about everything being within her reach. Yes, I did need to get a special extender. I ended up getting the Kuat Hi-Lo Hitch Extension that is able to be tightened down so it’s not swaying. With that I can open up the Yakima system and open the tailgate about 90% of the way open.

ex220

First Name
Emiliano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Thanks. It really has been an awesome way to ad storage without having to climb up and down. My spouse is very happy about everything being within her reach. Yes, I did need to get a special extender. I ended up getting the Kuat Hi-Lo Hitch Extension that is able to be tightened down so it’s not swaying. With that I can open up the Yakima system and open the tailgate about 90% of the way open.
Thanks! What stops the tailgate from opening fully? Is it the tire? I could potentially move the spare tire up as I have the teraflex tire carrier. By the way I’m planning on only using the lower part and not the 2 levels. Just trying to understand if I can mount this thing without a hitch extender and be able to fully open the tailgate.
Do you have any more pics on how far out it extends?

Sponsored

OP
OP

webbj010

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Xe High Altitude
Thanks! What stops the tailgate from opening fully? Is it the tire? I could potentially move the spare tire up as I have the teraflex tire carrier. By the way I’m planning on only using the lower part and not the 2 levels. Just trying to understand if I can mount this thing without a hitch extender and be able to fully open the tailgate.
Do you have any more pics on how far out it extends?
The tire was coming in contact with the cargo box on the second level. And even at that the door was practically completely open. If you only use the bottom level you should have no issue even with the spare on the tailgate.

ex220

First Name
Emiliano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
The tire was coming in contact with the cargo box on the second level. And even at that the door was practically completely open. If you only use the bottom level you should have no issue even with the spare on the tailgate.
That’s awesome, thanks for the help! I’m gonna pull the trigger on this and check it out. One last question, you mentioned the lower level would fit no problem, is that with or without your hitch extender?

OP
OP

webbj010

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Xe High Altitude

That’s awesome, thanks for the help! I’m gonna pull the trigger on this and check it out. One last question, you mentioned the lower level would fit no problem, is that with or without your hitch extender?
The hi/lo extender adds a 2 inch drop so that the tailgate can swing above the lower rack. It will fit on the back without the extender but you will have to open the Yakima swing base before you can open the tailgate. Personally the extender is totally worth the $70.

ex220

First Name
Emiliano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Just an update on this. I did end up buying the exo gear system and was able to make it work without a hitch-extender. I have a Teraflex tire carrier which helps as I was able to lift the spare tire to make room.

chowfun27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler 392
Just an update on this. I did end up buying the exo gear system and was able to make it work without a hitch-extender. I have a Teraflex tire carrier which helps as I was able to lift the spare tire to make room.
Do you have a photo of your set up?
Sponsored