donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@JLNJJeep

What, I learned after my first 20 years of towing, is to just invest in a half way decent adjustable hitch.

Over the years, you will acquire and use, borrow and use, or whatever many different trailers.

Over the years,... you end up buying different rise/drop hitches... a 2", a 4", a 6", etc., and you end up with a pile of hitches and over the long haul spend a lot of $ on a scad of hitches.

Also, depending on your trailer, the height of the trailer tongue can differ by inches depending on, if it is loaded or empty, etc... or if you have passengers in the back of the tow vehicle...Today you may need a 1 inch drop and tomorrow you may need a 2 or 4", 6' or 8" drop.. or you may need a 2", 3:, or whatever rise....

With that said.... I encourage you to buy a decent adjustable hitch. Yes, a decent one will cost you $100+- but you will always have a proper hitch when you are dealing with whatever trailer you are dealing with. Think tomorrow and years to come and how your needs will change.

Buy an adjustable hitch and that one time purchase will go through life with you so to speak.

If you carry a adjustable hitch with you, you will always be prepared for whatever trailer you back up to ..... regardless of your tow vehicle.

IMPORTANT: Whatever you buy, you need to assure it extends ..... out just past the Jeep's spare tire, as in the pic below..

Here is my 10" adjustable, dual size ball..
drop.jpg
I ended up getting something simlar:

https://donmontalvo.com/2023/01/11/relocating-to-texas-with-a-trailer/
Sponsored