BW trailer hitch??

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Anyone use these before ? I plan on towing around a small tandem axel trailer for my rhino. I saw this hitch online and thought it was pretty neat, it stows behind the hitch for a nice clean look.
Anyone have any experience using em?
Thanks
Sponsored

JLNJJeep

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
@Gron86 did you ever get this? Would be interested in your thoughts as I need to buy a hitch soon for my JLUR.

Was trying to find an adjustable one that fits the Class II.

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

I'll be buying one of the tow and stow hitches as spring gets closer.

Had a B&W 5th wheel hitch for a long time. Ultra-high quality piece.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Gron86 did you ever get this? Would be interested in your thoughts as I need to buy a hitch soon for my JLUR.

Was trying to find an adjustable one that fits the Class II.
@JLNJJeep

What, I learned after my first 20 years of towing, is to just invest in a half way decent adjustable hitch.

Over the years, you will acquire and use, borrow and use, or whatever many different trailers.

Over the years,... you end up buying different rise/drop hitches... a 2", a 4", a 6", etc., and you end up with a pile of hitches and over the long haul spend a lot of $ on a scad of hitches.

Also, depending on your trailer, the height of the trailer tongue can differ by inches depending on, if it is loaded or empty, etc... or if you have passengers in the back of the tow vehicle...Today you may need a 1 inch drop and tomorrow you may need a 2 or 4", 6' or 8" drop.. or you may need a 2", 3:, or whatever rise....

With that said.... I encourage you to buy a decent adjustable hitch. Yes, a decent one will cost you $100+- but you will always have a proper hitch when you are dealing with whatever trailer you are dealing with. Think tomorrow and years to come and how your needs will change.

Buy an adjustable hitch and that one time purchase will go through life with you so to speak.

If you carry a adjustable hitch with you, you will always be prepared for whatever trailer you back up to ..... regardless of your tow vehicle.

IMPORTANT: Whatever you buy, you need to assure it extends ..... out just past the Jeep's spare tire, as in the pic below..

Here is my 10" adjustable, dual size ball..
Jeep Wrangler JL BW trailer hitch?? dro

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely agree with you, @Rhinebeck01 - what do you think about Harbor Freight? They have an adjustable for a decent price:

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ball-adjustable-aluminum-hitch-6-in-drop-6-in-rise-57417.html
@JLNJJeep

Especially, since you have a Rubi, (taller) you would be best going with more then 6"drop/rise.

8" drop/raise would be the least I would go with your Rubi.

Pricey but you get what you pay for... and it will do the deed for you like I mentioned in my earlier post. Yes, there are other similar offerings/brands that are aok.. and some priced for less then the one below.

Fastway FLASH 42-00-2900 E Series Adjustable Aluminum Ball Mount with 10 Inch Drop and 2 Inch Shank

Jeep Wrangler JL BW trailer hitch?? Fastway-Flash

Last edited:

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

Fastway is another great recommendation. Prior to my B&W I used their equalizer setup for a travel trailer.

Please steer far far far away from harbor freight stuff.

JLNJJeep

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll be buying one of the tow and stow hitches as spring gets closer.

Had a B&W 5th wheel hitch for a long time. Ultra-high quality piece.
How much of a drop are you planning on getting with the Tow & Stow?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much of a drop are you planning on getting with the Tow & Stow?
@JLNJJeep

With most trailers these days, the trailer tongue is very close to the ground.. With a stock Rubi or a Rubi with bigger tires the 2" receptacle where you plug the drop hitch is up pretty high....

I'd say that most every thing I go to tow (I tow a lot) with my Rubi with stock tires, requires me to have my adjustable hitch set at an 8" drop..

A 6" drop/rise will not be as versatile lets say..... UNDOUBTEDLY, with your Rubi, you will always be needing more then 6" drop.

Also, remember.... say you go on a trip and your drop is just right.... then you get to your destination and when you go to return home your load in the JL, itself changes... and the JL is sitting higher or lower.... Well, that spot on, drop you had going is a no go for your return trip.... maybe you need an inch or 2 of drop or rise difference... Another reason why it is wise to have an adjustable hitch with lots of adjust ability inches..

Wish when I was younger, (I'm 71) I had just spent the bucks and bought a 10" adjustable.

Had I done that long ago, I would not have a 4", 6", 8" and 10" sitting in the shed.. With the 10", I have now, I can tow whatever and not have to worry about what drop hitch to bring with me when I go to get the trailer... no guessing.... I bring my 10" adjustable and it will do the deed regardless of the trailer tongue height.

About the money.... I know you are concerned about the price of the hitch... Well, look at this purchase as a purchase expense that if you buy the right offering, you will never again have to buy another or your many upcoming years of towing.. You will save $ over the long haul and you will tow safely over the long haul thanks to proper/safe drop/rise..

Caveat: A 10" adjustable hitch like I use is quite heavy... The hitch has to weigh 20# +-. You'd only be able to use on your JL, a pick up truck , etc.. You'd never be able to use this say on a Nissan Murano or Mini Van, etc... It's just two big and the footprint would have the hitch dragging on the grounsd should you try to use it on a low to the ground vehicle.

JLNJJeep

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 below is an image from the ground to my hitch, it is about 20 inches to the center.

A 8" drop would bring it down to 12" off the ground, not including any weight on the trailer or the back of the Jeep. Isn't that too low?

Jeep Wrangler JL BW trailer hitch?? IMG_0155

Also, I will probably go with the Tow & Stow with 2 or 3 different size balls. This means one ball will be pointed down to the ground, reducing the clearance even more.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 below is an image from the ground to my hitch, it is about 20 inches to the center.

A 8" drop would bring it down to 12" off the ground, not including any weight on the trailer or the back of the Jeep. Isn't that too low?

Also, I will probably go with the Tow & Stow with 2 or 3 different size balls. This means one ball will be pointed down to the ground, reducing the clearance even more.

IMG_0155.jpg

@JLNJJeep

Height wise, my Rubi is as yours..

If you look at the pic of my 10" adjustable hitch on the back of my Rubi, you will see that the at the lowest point of the hitch it squared off and is about an inch or so below the head of the lower ball........ well that squared off end, when I tow my aluminum motorcycle trailer, is as close to the ground as say 5-6 inches. Yes, looks low low.... 8-)

That lower end has never ever bottomed out.... of course most of my driving is on interstate with some driveways, gas stations and such.... but again never bottoms out.. I've towed with the hitch and motorcycle trailer ... my Rubi, over 15,200 miles. Have also towed other trailers..

I need to have hitch adjusted down that low as my motorcycle trailers tongue is very low to the ground.

Here is a pic of the JL hitched to the motorcycle trailer.... you see where the bottom of the hitch is in relation to the pavement... well, when I load up my Fatboy 01, the tongue of the trailer drops down say another inch.... and my trailer tongue is level then as it should be... AGAIN, thousands of miles and the hitch has never bottomed out..

Click on picture to enlarge..
Jeep Wrangler JL BW trailer hitch?? Capture.JPG

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JLNJJeep

@Rhinebeck01 what do you think of the Rhino brand ones? More expensive, but I like the idea of lifting it up when not in use.

https://rhinohitch.com/
@JLNJJeep

I have no experience with that brand but they have a good reputation. Sure, being able to lift up is a plus as they do hang down lots. I just remove mine when the trailer is not hooked up.. the hitch is heavy heavy...

So, with that said, I would not hesitate buying a Rhino..... Just be sure you get one with enough drop. Though I never have needed the 10" drop ability my hitch has, the day may come when with a different trailer, I will need..

Be like me and take care of the hitch... clean and protect and don't leave it on 24/7 365. To pricey not to take care of.

JLNJJeep

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JLNJJeep

@JLNJJeep

I have no experience with that brand but they have a good reputation. Sure, being able to lift up is a plus as they do hang down lots. I just remove mine when the trailer is not hooked up.. the hitch is heavy heavy...

So, with that said, I would not hesitate buying a Rhino..... Just be sure you get one with enough drop. Though I never have needed the 10" drop ability my hitch has, the day may come when with a different trailer, I will need..

Be like me and take care of the hitch... clean and protect and don't leave it on 24/7 365. To pricey not to take care of.

Absolutely, you're right about that! Besides removing it when not in use, how else do you ensure it lasts a lifetime?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely, you're right about that! Besides removing it when not in use, how else do you ensure it lasts a lifetime?
@JLNJJeep

Well, if you are not going to use it for more then a day or two, get it off the vehicle if the vehicle is out in the weather/if you are using the vehicle. Less chance of damage from external sources/ from the Weather or that it will be stolen..

Always, just before hooking up your trailer, wipe the ball well to get the dirt/grit off and then place a good coat of waterproof grease on the ball and the neck of the ball. Do wipe the place on the trailer tongue where the ball will reside clean of dirt and grit before towing that trailer.

After you finish towing, wipe the ball clean, wipe the hitch down and use some type of protectorate on the hitch.. I use Pig Spit on mine. I store then hitch in a heavy duty storage bag.

I keep the hitch in a clean and dry place. Also, wipe out the inside of the trailer tongue where the tow ball goes after you tow... so it does not accumulate dirt/grit that will damage your ball(s).

You spent a lot of $ on a hitch. It will last years and years if you take care of it.

OH, get a decent lock for the hitch. I have a decent lock but still don't leave the hitch on back unless I am actively using it... because of the chance of damage and that some asshat will steal it.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-80916...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YZT9C254TX61CMFYYXY9

Jeep Wrangler JL BW trailer hitch?? 71nkz99cTwL._AC_SL1226_
Sponsored