Hiker Trailers

Jeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Been researching these small camper trailers and the Hiker seems to be my first choice. Looking at the 5 x 9 Mid Range Deluxe or possibly the Extreme Off Road. The only draw back is the wait time, currently 8-12 months depending on the model.

Any of you have a Hiker Trailer, opinions on them? Which model did you get, any must have options?
Sponsored

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, Nissan Frontier, BMW i3, future JLUR diesel
just came across this thread. Doubt your still looking, but if so I have had a hiker trailer since February of 2017 and absolutely LOVE it! amazed with the quality, capability, and price. feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

OP
OP
Jeff1

Jeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
just came across this thread. Doubt your still looking, but if so I have had a hiker trailer since February of 2017 and absolutely LOVE it! amazed with the quality, capability, and price. feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
I've decided to go with a 5 x 9 Mid Range, have them doing a contract now. Being in the Northeast I'm mostly going to be on forest and logging roads.

Which model did you get and now that you've had it for a while what are the must have options and which would you not get next time around?

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I've decided to go with a 5 x 9 Mid Range, have them doing a contract now. Being in the Northeast I'm mostly going to be on forest and logging roads.

Which model did you get and now that you've had it for a while what are the must have options and which would you not get next time around?
I'm 99.99% sure I am pulling the trigger on a hiker build tomorrow. How long did yours take? Happy with it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeff1

Jeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm 99.99% sure I am pulling the trigger on a hiker build tomorrow. How long did yours take? Happy with it?
Sorry for the late response, you probably ordered the Hiker already.

Something came up and I ended up having to cancel the order. Months later I did impulse buy a Runaway Venturist with their new composite material. I. ended up selling it within 3 months due to shoddy manufacturing. Shelf fell out on the way home, 3 piece roof and it was sagging, rear door was mis-manufactured(not square) and Runaway knew it and still used them in numerous campers, you can see daylight around every door, windows not seated properly, frames are just spray painted and not powder coated so was getting plenty of surface rust.

If I was to get another trailer, it would be a Hiker or Escapade.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Sorry for the late response, you probably ordered the Hiker already.

Something came up and I ended up having to cancel the order. Months later I did impulse buy a Runaway Venturist with their new composite material. I. ended up selling it within 3 months due to shoddy manufacturing. Shelf fell out on the way home, 3 piece roof and it was sagging, rear door was mis-manufactured(not square) and Runaway knew it and still used them in numerous campers, you can see daylight around every door, windows not seated properly, frames are just spray painted and not powder coated so was getting plenty of surface rust.

If I was to get another trailer, it would be a Hiker or Escapade.
I looked at runaway...something felt wrong. Sorry you had that experience, I am not...much surprised. I have to send my deposit in, but yes I ordered. Literally no one makes what I think I want. Buying this gets me close and I can use it and see if I care about the minor differences I want that would cause me to build. If I build, I have this to use while I do.

drrobinson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited - Willy’s - White
I’ve got a Hiker Trailer Extreme Off Road 5 x 9’ Trailer. Had it for two years now. Really like it. I ordered the shell with door s and windows the way I wanted and then did the electrical lan plumbing myself.

Happy to discuss, just PM me.

E4417A5D-7439-4543-8552-1D9756D61DC3.jpeg

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I’ve got a Hiker Trailer Extreme Off Road 5 x 9’ Trailer. Had it for two years now. Really like it. I ordered the shell with door s and windows the way I wanted and then did the electrical lan plumbing myself.

Happy to discuss, just PM me.
Sounds similar to my plan...but I also got the highway 5X9 since I could play with my suspension needs if/when they hit. I know I can do a SOA for like...$100ish dollars. I may do that and slap some takeoff wheels on there. I went pretty minimal on wiring as well since I have some of the things like outside lights already. I did enough upgrades that it's pretty much the mid range but I can drop a $200 torsion axle under it and be ahead of the game by a fair bit. Or, I can timbren for like $900 and it covers the lift and bolt pattern I want.

Just looking forward to no more tent and the excess packing and crap. I plan to use as a base camp essentially, not dragging it over rocks all day. With that, I may not need the axle upgrades.

Once I get it in my hands I may reach out to see what you have done and either find it essential, or wasted.
Sponsored