Trailers at 3500 lbs or under with brake controllers

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
that 3014 harness can cause all kinds of error codes and dash lights... it is missing a diode to protect the computer. I just posted a write-up on how to make it work the way it was intended. Sorry for hijacking - Just trying to save some Jeeps!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-trailer-brake-controller.8378/page-2
Mine has been plugged in for almost a year and has no issues. A diode to prevent reverse flow is logical, but I don't see what the problem is? Maybe with a different Tekonsha controller? My P3 works properly with my trailer, whether it's plugged in or not.
Sponsored

JLURmojito

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Mine has been plugged in for almost a year and has no issues. A diode to prevent reverse flow is logical, but I don't see what the problem is? Maybe with a different Tekonsha controller? My P3 works properly with my trailer, whether it's plugged in or not.
The issue has been occurring when using the manual lever on the controller. We do not install many P3 controllers - it is feature rich and may have an option in the menus to disable lamp illumination with manual brake activation.

Most brake controllers will send voltage out the brake sense wire with the intention of illuminating the brake lamps on the vehicle and trailer. In the jeep, if you do this the computer senses an error in the braking system and disables all systems that rely on proper brake operation!

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
The issue has been occurring when using the manual lever on the controller. We do not install many P3 controllers - it is feature rich and may have an option in the menus to disable lamp illumination with manual brake activation.

Most brake controllers will send voltage out the brake sense wire with the intention of illuminating the brake lamps on the vehicle and trailer. In the jeep, if you do this the computer senses an error in the braking system and disables all systems that rely on proper brake operation!
Your analysis makes sense, and I will take the time to add a diode the next time I do some electrical work. Thanks for the in-depth information. I certainly don't want to have any inadvertent electrical problems or codes thrown while I'm on the road...

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
... almost all trailers that weigh far less than 3500 lb are only going to have a single axle and no brakes. So that's why I think a trailer brake controller on a Wrangler is a moot point.
Regardless of the ratings, Wrangler has a short wheelbase, when it comes time to stop you don't want a trailer pushing the tail end of your vehicle all over the road. If you can get some brakes on your trailer to help prevent it from killing you in the event that you need to slow/stop suddenly at highway speed .. I'd definitely suggest getting them.

Sponsored

JLURmojito

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you can operate a ratchet you can install electric brakes on just about any trailer axle - provided such a thing is manufactured for your spindle and bolt pattern - I've just never touched anything much less than 5 lug 3500#

But the backing plates come loaded so it's basically 4 bolts per side and you're done.

Please don't cut corners on wiring (I'd reco heat shrink butt connectors) and don't use ScotchLoks unless you ENJOY tracing intermittent issues to the point of suicidal madness

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Also don't be tempted by the lower price of the Tekonsha Voyager.

It's cheaper for a reason, you might as well have surge brakes.

The Prodigy is decent, though
Sponsored