Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

We just ordered a Boreas XT camper and pick it up Monday. It's a well built square drop made for the trail. It's all American made and has the cruise master suspension. Our requirements for a trailer was well built, forced heat, hard sided, hot shower, and could carry our dirt bikes if necessary and this one checks all the boxes. We are pretty excited!

https://boreascampers.com/boreas-xt/
Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
That's pretty cool. That is certainly something I could do. My wife on the other hand.... she needs fancy. 😫
"fancy" adds weight and you don't have a lot of room to play with it when it comes to the weight of your trailer.

Here are some towing acronyms you should become familiar with and assign a value to:

GVW: Gross Vehicle Weight - This is the weight of your JL with cargo, passengers and a full fuel tank.

GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - This is your maximum JL's maximum GVW. Don't exceed it. The heavier your JL is the lighter your trailer will necessarily be.

GCVWR: Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating - This is the maximum your JL + trailer weight should be.

There are some excellent RV towing calculators out there you can use to determine your capabilities and limits.

You'll have to load up the JL and head for a truck stop or landfill to get your GVW.

You can use the trailer mfgr's GVWR for their trailer in the calculations.

And don't forget tongue weight. Your JL, if equipped with the OEM towing package, includes a Class II receiver hitch and your max tongue weight of 300 lbs & a max trailer weight of 3500 pounds. Given those numbers, the Class II hitch is sufficient if you tow within the JL's capabilities.

I've attached a spreadsheet that helps with the calculations.

Attachments

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
This was my set up on the last jeep. Trailer weighed 2500lb. When I weighed at the truck stop with the family and gear loaded I was at the very top end of gvwr. My rear axle stated 3000lb limit and I weighed 2980. Jeep did fine and I towed it all over Michigan and the UP but it was a small way to live for the 4 of us. Buy a good WD hitch and electric brake controller as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wanting to buy a camper (~3500 lbs GVW) DA3B504F-3E35-4B3B-A09F-9B5B93A14F41

Zipdawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Ram 3500 Cummins, '20 JLUR
We bought a 2023 Sunset Park Sun Lite 16BH, and we've been very pleased. Dry weight is 2490#, 16.5" long, has a dry bath, fridge, oven, microwave, etc. It has most all amenities that females want/need. One thing I would suggest is to get a weight distribution hitch...it will help to balance the load across all three axles. I've got the 2020 JLUR 3.6L MT and it tows fine. Oil and transmission temps consistently run about 15-20 degrees hotter than not towing. That is not excessive and is to be expected unless you want to added expense of adding coolers for them.

Jeep:Camper.jpeg

cseaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2023 SQ5
2023 JLURD + 2022 Geo Pro 15TB

Added nothing but the factory brake controller. Does really well; I did not have high expectations having come to the Wrangler from two 1500 GM Duramax trucks. Highly recommend the 3.0 from both brands.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wanting to buy a camper (~3500 lbs GVW) IMG_5863

Sponsored

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase