Sponsored

Who trailers their JL?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It occurred to me if I do a rear diff skid with u-bolts around the tubes it'll interfere w my transport chains.

Anyone dealt with this?

IMG_20190903_082258645.jpg
Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I always used ratchet straps with axle straps when I towed, never encountered any problems. But, I crossed the rears, and one of those big glide plates might still cause an issue. Sorry, I’m no help.

OP
OP
D60

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I always used ratchet straps with axle straps when I towed, never encountered any problems. But, I crossed the rears, and one of those big glide plates might still cause an issue. Sorry, I’m no help.
That's alright, thanks for the reply. I just can't get behind ratchet straps for vehicles, but I may have to re-evaluate my dislike for them.

I just like the no- nonsense strength of chains & binders, plus zero concerns of rot or mildew

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We trailer every time we wheel. I ordered some ratchet straps with axle straps. Works great. Go around each side of the diff and then off both shackles on the front bumper. Straps hold up great, I hate using chains because they scratch up the undercarriage paint to much. No doubt stronger but more than enough for us

Brett

OP
OP
D60

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
We trailer every time we wheel. I ordered some ratchet straps with axle straps. Works great. Go around each side of the diff and then off both shackles on the front bumper. Straps hold up great, I hate using chains because they scratch up the undercarriage paint to much. No doubt stronger but more than enough for us

Brett
No thanks on the front, I never anchor a vehicle with sprung weight. It's basically impossible to compress the suspension enough to be truly secure. With each big bump in the road the trailered vehicle bounces, slacking and then snapping tight the straps. In the moment of slack, a lot of things can happen

I understand plenty of people do it, and it works - until it doesn't.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
No thanks on the front, I never anchor a vehicle with sprung weight. It's basically impossible to compress the suspension enough to be truly secure. With each big bump in the road the trailered vehicle bounces, slacking and then snapping tight the straps. In the moment of slack, a lot of things can happen

I understand plenty of people do it, and it works - until it doesn't.
Oh I absolutely agree but 4 straps keeps its secured well. I’ve haul tractors, dozers, and track hoes for 20 years and always use chains and binders. For the jeeps and buggies, we’ve been all over the US and never an issue. I stop every couple hrs and always check the straps, ideal would be frame/axles but the bumper for us, is much easier and where the tie points fall are more convientent. I had a custom 24+4’ GN built with steel deck and 10 flush mount points welded in and they still aren’t quite right

Brett
Sponsored