Sponsored

2 Door wrangler, who tows travel trailers?

jdames

First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr
Hi, I am new here. Also new to towing. I have a 2 door, soft top, 6 speed, wrangler that has a towing capacity of 2000lbs. I am looking at the Aliner Ranger 10 (GVW 1225) and the Meerkat (GVW 980). I've done some research and it seems that either of these is doable. Does anyone tow anything like this? Or what are other travel trailers do you tow? It doesn't seem like I have a lot of options with the jeep I have but I am not willing to get another jeep. I love my 2 door.
Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I too love the 2 dr but as you said not a lot of options when it comes to campers. Keep it light and use a decent sway control and you should be fine. I’ve dragged trailers with motorcycles, garden tractors and such a lot with no issues. A low profile pop up might work well. Several of the smaller ones can be pulled by a Goldwing or big BMW, so your Jeep’s do it with o issues. Good luck and have fun.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The profile of the trailer, square feet of windage, is an issue with the short WB 2 door. There is a max figure for this in the Owners Manual, you don't want crosswind gusts or bow waves from tractor trailers tossing you around. YouTube has cautionary tale videos on this..

jpcrisb

First Name
John-Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler JK Sport 2 Door
I own a 2011 Wrangler JK Sport 2 door and I tow approx 1560 lb in total made up of; my 300 lb single axle gal trailer, my Cruise Craft Spirit fibreglass boat weighing dry 860 lb, the outboard 2 stroke Mercury motor weighing 300 lb, 100 lb for my 60 litres of fuel and give or take a little for batteries, anchors and other items inside the boat. I towed it just fine on the motorway, breaking was fine. Also drove it up and down a 10-15% gradient minor mountain with very windy roads. Just take it slow and in control, never underestimate the tow. I drove with confidence on the motorway easily at 50-55 mph always in the slow lane and leaving a big distance in front of me from others. I launch and retrieve this boat in and out of all sorts of boat ramps no problems. I always use 4H when towing this boat but it can easily be in 2H also, I just feel better on 4H for traction.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon
I tow a CVT trailer with a roof top tent mounted on it behind a 2 Door manual Rubicon. The GVW of the trailer on the title is 1200 pounds. Add in the extras and gear and it's probably close to 2k pounds fully loaded. The setup I have is barely shorter than the Jeep. I have not had any issues with it on or off road so far. Pulls nicely behind me up to 70mph on the highway.

As mentioned keep an eye on square feet of windage, load the weight properly and enjoy keeping your 2 door!

This was before I had a ball hitch with clearance for the spare, but this gives you the size/shape idea.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door wrangler, who tows travel trailers? IMG_3066

RoadNomad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
It's not so much the ability of a Jeep to pull something that weighs more then it. It's that unexpected gust of wind blowing over whatever your towing or causing you to loose control that going to ruin your day and maybe your life. It's just not worth it!

rollover.jpg
Sponsored