Help with tire choices please

CIAI

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Just bought a 2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 door sport. I want to upgrade tires and wheels if necessary. What I’m looking for is a tire that will fit a stock height JL Sport, maybe a BFG K0 285/70/17. How close to my current MPG can I expect to get? A comfortable, quiet ride is important. About 90% of the miles will be daily driving. I’ll also take it off road but nothing too crazy. I know, what I described doesn’t exist, however; I want to get as close as I can. I was told that BFG K0’s range C would be a good possibility. Opinions and any advice would help.
Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
If you want to get the closest performance to stock, going 265/70-17 will be a bit better - pretty much the same diameter as the 245/75-17 and lighter than the 285. I also think the 285 doesn't look quite right without a small lift, but others like it. That's a personal preference thing.

Another tire to consider is the Toyo AT/3. That tire in 265/70-17 is lighter than the KO2 (cheaper as well). Staying the same diameter doesn't get you any more ground clearance, but will get you a bit more aggressive tread for an uptick in off-road performance.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

You sound like a perfect candidate for a set of Rubicon takeoffs!

You are not going to see much difference in your MPG by going to a 275 or even a 285 tire. Any more than that and all bets are off.

Good luck!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Just bought a 2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 door sport. I want to upgrade tires and wheels if necessary. What I’m looking for is a tire that will fit a stock height JL Sport, maybe a BFG K0 285/70/17. How close to my current MPG can I expect to get? A comfortable, quiet ride is important. About 90% of the miles will be daily driving. I’ll also take it off road but nothing too crazy. I know, what I described doesn’t exist, however; I want to get as close as I can. I was told that BFG K0’s range C would be a good possibility. Opinions and any advice would help.
BFG KO2s are good tires. I am not sure how big of a tire a Sport can take without a lift (others will advise). The idea for Rubi takeoff suspensions is a good one if you want a tire size that is a bit too big for the Sport without a lift. Great middle ground without downsides.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
There are Toyo AT3s that are SL rated, this is the lightest tire I've seen in several sizes size so it should provide a very comfortable ride vs. others w/a stiffer sidewall.
Check the Toyo site here and scroll down to 17" sizes, and the "show full specifications" link tab.
https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3
There are several sizes that will work, the largest being a 285/70/17 (the same as the BFG Rubicon takeoffs).

Keep in mind the Rubicon has 1.5" wider axles so those tires on your sport (if you keep your stock wheels) will be quite close to the inside area so you may have contact under full spring flex and full turn lock.

If I were to run the 285s or wider I would get new wheels w/ offsets/backspacing to allow for more room, resulting in more tire poke outside the fenders.

I would also consider a Rubicon takeoff suspension. Here's my thread on all of that w/ before & after pics
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

Sponsored

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running Falken Wildpeak AT3W's at 285/70/17 with no issues on my 2-door Sport. I love these tires and they are great in the snow and rain, decently quiet on the highway. Drove them 600 miles to the U.P. of Michigan and got around 24 mpg. You'll need to let the computer know of your tire size change though so the speedometer is correct (you'll be around 1mph off otherwise with the new size). Instead of FCA charging you $125 for a "service contract" and then $150 - $175" to re-program the new tires size, get a Tazer JL and do it yourself. I did that and it works great. Since I run mine a little low (30ish PSI) the Tazer lets me change the warning threshold for the TPMS so I don't see the bitch light in the dash. Well worth it.

OP
OP

CIAI

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I've been off grid the last few days. I want to thank everyone for their advice. I'm going to be making a tire change by October 26th. If anyone has more to offer, please do. It's all good information.

OP
OP

CIAI

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I've been off grid the last few days. I want to thank everyone for their advice. I'm going to be making a tire change by October 26th. If anyone has more to offer, please do. It's all good information.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely consider a set of Rubicon Wheels and Tires. They are a light weight and economical choice. There will always be a new Rubicon owner that wants to sell their 33s to buy 35s or 37s. That means you will have a lifetime supply of brand new 33 inch tires you can buy super cheap any time you need tires.