Sponsored

Help with Lemon JL (Actual Lemon, not Hellayella)

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Don't want to hijack your thread, but... Tech diagnosed the leak as timing chain cover on February 8. I was 1.5-2 quarts low on oil (wasn't touching dipstick when I checked after noticing leak). Sounds like many of these Gen 3 ecodiesels are having similar issues. They have to tear down quite a bit of the engine to get at it, including replacement of the 3 injectors on that side and associated plumbing, which are single-use parts. One of those single-use parts, I believe she said "injector feeder tube" or similar, is on national backorder without an ETA. As you know, sucks to keep making big payments (not to mention insurance, XM subscription, registration, National & State Parks passes, no use of our boats, etc.) on a new vehicle that we can't enjoy and will question beyond the repair when it finally happens.

As much as all of this frustrates me, I still find myself looking at 2-door Sport or Willys with a manual for our second vehicle.
Sponsored

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Don't want to hijack your thread, but... Tech diagnosed the leak as timing chain cover on February 8. I was 1.5-2 quarts low on oil (wasn't touching dipstick when I checked after noticing leak). Sounds like many of these Gen 3 ecodiesels are having similar issues. They have to tear down quite a bit of the engine to get at it, including replacement of the 3 injectors on that side and associated plumbing, which are single-use parts. One of those single-use parts, I believe she said "injector feeder tube" or similar, is on national backorder without an ETA. As you know, sucks to keep making big payments (not to mention insurance, XM subscription, registration, National & State Parks passes, no use of our boats, etc.) on a new vehicle that we can't enjoy and will question beyond the repair when it finally happens.

As much as all of this frustrates me, I still find myself looking at 2-door Sport or Willys with a manual for our second vehicle.
You had me at two door manual. Now if only a diesel in that configuration... one can dream.
In all seriousness, I know what you mean by questioning the repair. I had the same feeling when I saw my cam out and timing chain hanging by a bungee cord All due to chasing an electrical issue. Keep good documentation of the days lost in service and all the correspondence, service records, etc. They need to make it right.

Acf130

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Sorry to hear about your issues. I had a slew myself. Bought a new 2020 2d manual sport. Had loads of issues: steering; 3 radios; and an ungodly irritating rattle by the right front speaker. The dealer blew me off over and over. I was considering hiring an attorney but was able to trade up to a JLR manual at a new dealership. Lost a fair bit of money but am much happier in the new manual 2d JLR. Feels like a much higher quality vehicle not to mention all the off-roading goodies. 1st experience with a new Jeep was awful and caused lots of stress and aggravation. Hoping round 2 is better...

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
Just an update to provide useful information for anyone also finding themselves with a lemon JL. In the end, FCA agreed to buyback my vehicle as it clearly met the requirements defined under the law. I was provided an offer consistent with how the law defines the compensated value, which is fair. I will surrender it in the coming weeks as a check request just needs to be processed.

Some notes and lessons learned to pass along... Document EVERYTHING including service appointments, receipts with description of issue and what they "fixed" including part numbers etc. Also document number of days and overnights you lost access to the vehicle. Even if you stop in the dealer for a quick read of a check engine light, document it as a service appointment including notes that explicitly say the check engine light was on when brought in, not just the code was read. Know the law as you can look it up for your state. Some states are better than others for the consumer. Many states also require you to write a "demand letter", notifying the manufacturer of the problem and your intention to demand a lemon law buyback. FCA will drag their feet every step of the way, clearly to wear you down. The people are nice, but it's the process that's difficult. Don't give up. You can also find great attorneys specializing in this who get paid out of the settlement (not your money) if that's what it comes to. I didn't have to go down that path. I can recommend one though, licensed in OR, WA, PA and NJ.

For me I'm happy to finally have this part of the story near the end. What was turning into something positive, I now have another challenge. Knowing I had an agreement coming, I asked the dealer to start building an order for a replacement with Nacho color. He built it no problem and just stayed on hold, but the process to get the final agreement in place took longer than I was told. Once it was done, I called the dealer to pull the trigger on the order . He told me Nacho is NO LONGER AVAILABLE for ordering! Thanks FCA for a moving target! The website has all kinds of colors, but good luck ordering them. I don't know why they play these games. I really want a color, no offense to all the shades of gray out there, and Nacho is at the top. The excitement of finally having a Jeep that works has faded again. I don't know whether I should wait for Nacho to come back or just buy a Bronco or give up. I want a Nacho 2-door JL. Anyone know something more on Nacho availability would be great to hear.
How long did they say it will take in all for the buyback process?

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
As of this morning my Jeep legally qualifies as a lemon in Utah. See where this goes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
How long did they say it will take in all for the buyback process?
They won't quote anything in terms of timing. Each time they said something about next steps, they almost never kept their commitment. Once the buyback was agreed though, that process went much smoother.

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
They won't quote anything in terms of timing. Each time they said something about next steps, they almost never kept their commitment. Once the buyback was agreed though, that process went much smoother.
So your car is gone now?

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
What do you mean they won't keep their commitment?

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
What do you mean they won't keep their commitment?
Through the process the case manager would commit to calling back in a certain timeframe after doing xyz first. Then weeks would go by without a call. It was totally random. Once the buyback was agreed then things went with purpose and meaningful steps.

Sponsored

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
Through the process the case manager would commit to calling back in a certain timeframe after doing xyz first. Then weeks would go by without a call. It was totally random. Once the buyback was agreed then things went with purpose and meaningful steps.
So it took 30 days all together for the buyback department to buy your vehicle back? Sorry I'm asking so many questions.

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
Mines got accepted so I'm in the process with buyback now. I was told it would take 30 days for all the processing and stuff.

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Mines got accepted so I'm in the process with buyback now. I was told it would take 30 days for all the processing and stuff.
Congratulations! That's a big step. They'll request documentation (drivers license, registration etc.). Then you should receive an "offer" which depends on your state laws. From there you sign it and they set up a surrender date and location. 30 days is about right.

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
Congratulations! That's a big step. They'll request documentation (drivers license, registration etc.). Then you should receive an "offer" which depends on your state laws. From there you sign it and they set up a surrender date and location. 30 days is about right.
Thank you. I'm just relieved about it.

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
Did you have to get a title application?
Sponsored