Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

My new Sahara Altitude should be ready to pick up in a couple of weeks, and I'm getting antsy. I've got ~$5.3K budgeted for the first set of "make it mine" mods, and have been going over the list back and forth for weeks. Figured I'd get some forum input while I'm at it.

Below is my current ride, parked next to a newer-looking Sahara at Wal-Mart the other day, for height comparison.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help deciding on first mods 20210619_100338

My Jeep will primarily be a DD, mostly highway, but I also plan to hit a few local offroad parks as I get introduced to offroading in general. If the trails are rated 1-5 stars, I'd say I'd probably be comfortable sticking to 1-2 stars - not [yet] at a point where I'd be OK breaking something on my Jeep and having it out of commission even for a day. I would *like* for my Jeep to sit as high as my truck currently does. It's an '07 GMC with a 3" RC lift (don't judge) sitting on 275/55R20's.

So....here's the mods that I'm currently planning.

1. 33" tires = $1,300
2. Rubicon take-off springs = ~$600 (FB marketplace)
3. Bestop Sunrider = $900 (I may be able to sneak this one into the dealer price and avoid it hitting this mod budget)
4. DV8 Modular Front Bumper = $700
5. DV8 rear bumper = $560
6. Weathertech for the Jeep = $305 (floor + cargo)
7. Weathertech for my wife's Lexus (brownie points) = $310 (floor + cargo)
8. Stubby Antenna = $25
9. Hooke dead pedal = $35
10. Rugged Ridge Door Sill protectors = $50
11. Brawlee Hard Top LED bar = $60
12. N-Fab NERF steps = $370 (required if it sits at the same height or higher as my truck, via my wife)

All that totals up to ~$5.1K, plus tax puts me just a little over.

Where I'm not confident:
1. Wheels/Suspension - it *seems* like the Sahara, off the factory line, will sit within an inch or so of my current truck. Is that right? If so, I can probably forgo the 33" tires, though I may still do the Rubicon springs for a little extra lift (for aesthetics, admittedly). If I can skip the wheels and roll on the factory ones, that'll save a huge portion of the budget for other stuff (see #4 below)
2. Weathertech vs Mopar? I like the WT because it goes fully up the walls and such
3. I go back and forth (and all over) on the bumpers. I know that I want steel ones, that can take a bar, with a hidden winch, and able to take the factory fogs. I can't pick between full width or stubby, so the DV8 seems to give me a good solution and at a fraction of the cost of MOPAR ones. Others I should be considering, or a reason to pick stubby vs full?
4. Am I missing anything that I should be factoring in? (I'd have to remove something to make room for any additions)
Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
A number of the things you mentioned are either cosmetic, comfort-related or basic protection that would be fine and appealing even if one did not go off-road once. Those sound like no-brainers. This would include the antennas, dead pedals and such.

A word of advice that I got for my Jeep was to do little, if any, upgrades on the mechanical side until you have driven it for at least a month, even longer if you are new to Jeeps. A stock Sahara is still a Wrangler, all of which are capable of a lot, and should be more than good for the 1-2 level trails you reference off the lot. You may decide that the better drive on the road of a stock setup is not worth trading for a bit better off-road ability, at least not at first .. or that you want to do level 4-5 trails and want 37’s …

enjoy your new ride for a bit and it will become clear as to which mods you want/need.

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Air compressor is a must have if you plan to hit trails. Did I miss that? With 33’s, a basic one will work great. Smittybilt did good next to my viair on my last run. He aired up from 20-40 quicker than I went from 15-35, and we were both on “33’s”.

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
Thanks for introducing me to those bumpers! I love that the stock LED fog lights can be reused on the front (I think the LEDs will work) and that there are holes for the rear sensors, AND that they can be set up as stubby or full width.

Only short coming is it looks like I'd lose the red Rubicon tow hooks. I'd even be willing to do do red D Rings, but this one doesn't work with those. So close, but still a contender.

I'm leaning toward the Quadratec liners as I love the tread pattern. Just need to figure out how to hide their fugly logo. I like the look of the Mopar, but hear tell they are weak on the quality front so WT might be better option.

Good luck and I think you helped me more than I helped you here!

cptchunk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I think you could find the Rubicon suspension take offs for around $200 or less. You could likely find a deal on tires (and the wheels if like the Rubicon styled ones) on FB as well. May be harder since 18s are a little less common.

Sponsored

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
I agree on holding off. You can do a lot with 5 grand and in a few months you’ll know what you really want without the input of strangers and no money wasted.
Enjoy it for the summer, you’ll have a blast without 33’s and once you take the plunge it’s like buying the Jeep all over again.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Thanks for introducing me to those bumpers! I love that the stock LED fog lights can be reused on the front (I think the LEDs will work) and that there are holes for the rear sensors, AND that they can be set up as stubby or full width.

Only short coming is it looks like I'd lose the red Rubicon tow hooks. I'd even be willing to do do red D Rings, but this one doesn't work with those. So close, but still a contender.
I *think* you can use your stock tow hooks - these circled plates look removable, no?

Jeep Wrangler JL Help deciding on first mods Screenshot_20210628-180206_Chrome

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Air compressor is a must have if you plan to hit trails. Did I miss that? With 33’s, a basic one will work great. Smittybilt did good next to my viair on my last run. He aired up from 20-40 quicker than I went from 15-35, and we were both on “33’s”.
I had that on my "Round 2" set of mods, but you're right - may make sense to get earlier.

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
I *think* you can use your stock tow hooks - these circled plates look removable, no?

Jeep Wrangler JL Help deciding on first mods Screenshot_20210628-180206_Chrome
That is very interesting/possible. I may have to call and talk with someone at DV8 live about this.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

That is very interesting/possible. I may have to call and talk with someone at DV8 live about this.
If you do, let me know what you find. Seems odd they'd have a bumper with no recovery points.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I see lots of new take off rubicon wheel/tire sets on FB for $900-1000. Cheaper than just buying tires...

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
If you do, let me know what you find. Seems odd they'd have a bumper with no recovery points.
Confirmed! But not by calling DV8... I found customer picture with the recovery/two hooks exposed at Extreme Terrain (link)... you are right, that panel screws off to expose them.

I really like this bumper's modular front option, the matching rear with sensor holes (yeah!) and the price. As others have mentioned I don't love the textured finish, but that may be something I can live with for all the other positives of this bumper group. I have yet to find another bumper group with these features and a better finish anywhere.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@webwbr that pretty much seals it for me, then. I'll probably do a slightly taller bar, but otherwise, this bumper set covers everything I want.
Sponsored