Help! Coolant bottle empty again!

Linda z.

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Sahara 2L Turbo
I added about a pint of coolant to the black coolant container this morning. Drove about 40 miles. Just checked it its almost empty. No leaks anywhere. Checked underneath. What is happening?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Linda z.

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best guess without knowing more details: Head gasket
If the gasket were blown, wouldn't there be signs? Getting good mileage, no white exhaust fumes, no warning lights

Sponsored

hawkeye816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Willys in Anvil
Couldn't this also be a case of a leaking oil filter assembly?

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
What engine do you have?

Johnny B

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara
Clubs

Lots of good ideas. You could pressure test the coolant system to see if it leaks down (that can be time consuming, but will show you if there is a leak in the coolant system). How about any filmy buildup in the tailpipe before running your jeep (oily feeling)? When you first start the jeep, is there a thicker than normal smoke emitting from the tailpipe? I hope this is an easy fix for you. Cause tis the season you should be out enjoying your jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Linda z.

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of good ideas. You could pressure test the coolant system to see if it leaks down (that can be time consuming, but will show you if there is a leak in the coolant system). How about any filmy buildup in the tailpipe before running your jeep (oily feeling)? When you first start the jeep, is there a thicker than normal smoke emitting from the tailpipe? I hope this is an easy fix for you. Cause tis the season you should be out enjoying your jeep.
I've only had it for 2 weeks. 43,000 miles. I love it but now I'm freaking our.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
The power train, which includes the engine, is covered by a 5 year 60k mile warranty. Find a good (if thats possible) Jeep dealer and have them check it out. Pull the dipstick and check to see if the oil is milky. That would indicate coolant is mixing in the oil. Hang in there and it can be fixed. You have a great vehicle that is a lot of fun.

OP
OP

Linda z.

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The power train, which includes the engine, is covered by a 5 year 60k mile warranty. Find a good (if thats possible) Jeep dealer and have them check it out. Pull the dipstick and check to see if the oil is milky. That would indicate coolant is mixing in the oil. Hang in there and it can be fixed. You have a great vehicle that is a lot of fun.
Thank you.

Craigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Clubs

If you're losing coolant, it's either getting pushed to another part of the engine (head gasket or cracked block) or it's leaking out of the engine to the outside. Not many places it can go.

Check the oil and check the coolant. How do they look? Any signs of coolant in the oil and vice versa? Post pictures here. You said no leaks but are you sure? Have you crawled underneath and looked for any drips or evaporated white spots in the engine compartment? It is possible that the leak is slow enough and near a hot part of the engine that the coolant gets evaporated before it can accumulate under the engine.

There is a TSB for your engine, but for an earlier year - not sure if it extends to the '21:

2.0 Turbo TSB

I'm guessing you'll need to take it into the shop to get it diagnosed and fixed. Could just be the TSB fix, water pump may be going bad, leak around the thermostat, or deeper engine issues but checking the steps above may start pointing you in the right direction.

Good luck.
Sponsored