Heater Core Bad

JeepJLFL

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Drove 500 miles with my JL and then noticed pink fluid dripping from Transmission Box, lots of pink fluid. Brought it in for repair and was advised it was radiator fluid and the heater core was defective and needed to be replaced. They removed the dashboard to replace it and now each time I drive it I notice water dripping from the same place. Does anyone know if dripping is normal? This is my first Jeep and none of my other newer vehicles drip water as my older vehicles did due to condensation, etc.
Sponsored

Last edited:

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I drove a Sahara jl brand new today 30 miles and smelled coolant coming from vents. I didn't buy it.
If a few more forumgoers have had this issue, I guess we can add it to the list of known problems.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Drove 500 miles with my JL and then noticed pink fluid dripping from Transmission Box, lots of pink fluid. Brought it in for repair and was advised it was radiator fluid and the heater core was defective and needed to be replaced. They removed the dashboard to replace it and now each time I drive it I notice water dripping from the same place. Does anyone know if dripping is normal? This is my first Jeep and none of my other newer vehicles drip water as my older vehicles did due to condensation, etc.
Is the dripping from the outside of the car on on the inside? Also, what is the outside temperature, some dripping on the garage floor is normal when the AC had been running and the humidity is high but should be very small. Any dripping inside is not normal or acceptable.

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150 / 2018 Sahara JLU. Formerly 2013 JK and 2003 Liberty Renegade
This sounds like a similar issue that the JK crowd was having with the 2012 and early 2013 Pentastars. This issue was associated with casting sand from the manufacturing process and mucking up the heater core. Some owners were reporting condensation and coolant dripping into the cabin.

Sponsored

ccarrico29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Polar Edition
The heater core/radiator failure is a known issue all the way up through 2017, just escalated with the 2012-2013s.

OP
OP
JeepJLFL

JeepJLFL

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Is the dripping from the outside of the car on on the inside? Also, what is the outside temperature, some dripping on the garage floor is normal when the AC had been running and the humidity is high but should be very small. Any dripping inside is not normal or acceptable.
The dripping comes off of the transmission box outside the vehicle. When I don’t have air conditioning on it doesn’t drip and it is hot here in Florida so I assume it’s condensation. It’s just that none of my other vehicles drip like this and I’ve already had the one issue so I wanted to make sure it’s normal. It’s a significant amount, not just a few drops.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
The dripping comes off of the transmission box outside the vehicle. When I don’t have air conditioning on it doesn’t drip and it is hot here in Florida so I assume it’s condensation. It’s just that none of my other vehicles drip like this and I’ve already had the one issue so I wanted to make sure it’s normal. It’s a significant amount, not just a few drops.
if its actually water, seems like it has to be condensation.

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
If it's off the transmission aren't we talking the transmission cooler. A heater core would be dripping on the floor of the jeep.

OP
OP
JeepJLFL

JeepJLFL

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
If it's off the transmission aren't we talking the transmission cooler. A heater core would be dripping on the floor of the jeep.
They replaced the heater core and said it was defective.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
If you are still seeing coolant on the ground then you still have a leak. The transmission fluid is cooled by the coolant system so maybe your leak is at the transmission.

It’s possible the dealer used a different color colant when replacing the heater core. So you have to determine whether it’s water or coolant you are seeing.

If it only drips when running the A/C, then it’s most likely condensation from the evaporator.

RNJeeper

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU white Sport S
Occupation
RN
FWIW I live in Florida too, my Camry and my new Jeep leave puddles of water in the garage after driving around with the AC on. I figured that’s normal. Had the Camry for 8 years and it always did it. Our weather is always humid and airconditioners act as a dehumidifier in a way for the air that travels through it into the cabin.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
FWIW I live in Florida too, my Camry and my new Jeep leave puddles of water in the garage after driving around with the AC on. I figured that’s normal. Had the Camry for 8 years and it always did it. Our weather is always humid and airconditioners act as a dehumidifier in a way for the air that travels through it into the cabin.
this is absolutely correct. the evaporator box behind the dash has a hole that allows it to drain outside the vehicle. I have no idea where that hole is on the JL. the more humid the air, the more water you will see on the ground when running the A/C.

Jeepman

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Confirming my 2018 Rubi suffered from a bad heater core. With less than 300 miles and 12 days at the dealership I finally got it back. Like others have said, it was obvious by the strong smell of coolant in the cab. It sucks to have the whole dash removed on a new vehicle. My concern now is things rattling loose or hearing noises that may be due to the repair.

BIGDOGS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sting Grey + '15 Cherokee Trailhawk + '17 Renegade Trailhawk
At around 300 miles, we began to notice a strong burning smell through the vents of our JLU Sahara. No more nice new car smell! We thought maybe it was a label or something new burning off the exhaust or engine, but 2 weeks went by and it got worse. Then got dense white smoke out of the vents and it made my wife and I both sick. Called the dealer and they couldn't get us in for 1-1/2 weeks (!). Got it in and they determined it is a bad heater core. Took another week for the core to arrive. Now they've installed it and apparently broke the gear shift and God knows what else, so it's in the shop for another week waiting more parts. Assuming they finally get it fixed this coming week, I'm expecting them to have gotten rid of the smoke damage and make sure it has no leaks, no rattles, and no scratched-up interior. We LOVE our first Wrangler (have had other Jeep models) but our service experience isn't going so great!
Sponsored