Sponsored

Think I may have the dreade Heater core leak but dealer wont fix it yet

dbrisson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU R
2018 JLU Rubicon with Mopar Extended Protection Plan
Definitely have Coolant smell in the cabin and had to add a small bit to the overflow.

Dealer says since it passed pressure test they wont do anything until it fails greater aka so a pressure test sees an issue.
Read a ton of threads on pin holes that are passing pressure test. So now have a time bomb and have to deal with coolant smell until it fails "more bigger"

Plus open Clutch recall with no parts available.

Now would be the perfect time to fix since having a vehicle down in a stay home status isn't hurtful and brings revenue to the dealer.

Ugh

DB
Sponsored

OP
OP

dbrisson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU R
I have, unfortunately they wont pull the dash to even look citing FCA rules and that its warranty.

Thanks FCA @JeepCares

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Understood. Excluding the loss of coolant in the overflow and odor in the cabin, is there any other leakage evidence on the engine or garage floor? The lack of evidence does not mean the lack of a leak.

OP
OP

dbrisson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU R
Trying to find something. Nothing external. Even the carpets are clean. Will probably see what I can get near the HC and what the lower panels look like.

I pick it up from the dealer in a little bit, should be nice and warm by the time I get home.
May have to get my own pressure test rig
DB

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Years ago I read prolonged exposure to coolant odors could be carcinogenic, not positive it's true.... obviously a web search might help but I've got other rabbit holes to explore ATM

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
The smell issue is interesting. When I topped up my system I found I had to buy special coolant, OAT. North America is orange; Europe Blue, Asia purple or green. The new compound does not have the pungent coolant smell I was used to. It smells different. Yet another new thing to learn!

OP
OP

dbrisson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU R
Thanks for the idea, will look at those areas also
DB

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have, unfortunately they wont pull the dash to even look citing FCA rules and that its warranty.

Thanks FCA @JeepCares
Thanks for tagging us. We're saddened to hear that you have concerns with your heater core. Please send us a private message if you would like us to document this on your behalf.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Sponsored