Headlight comparison - halogen vs LED

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I swapped my halogen bulbs for Beamtech LEDs. Huge difference and price was right. Would never go back to halogens.
Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I complain about LED lights being on the road. They blind other drivers. But nearly everyone has them, so in order to be able compete a little and to see anything when driving at night I opted for LEDS. 🤦‍♀️
"Compete" how? I honestly dont understand.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
I have the halogens and I’m fine with them. Trust me, compared with the halogens on my prior 2016 F150, the JL’s halogen are like a million suns. 😂

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Trying to decide halogen or led. Found this cool comparison site For those interested.
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/jeep/wrangler-2-door-suv/2021#headlights
Had/have the LEDs on my 18 and 22. Agree that the LEDs are GREAT! Will also say that driving around Denver in my 18 when it actively snowed the LEDs did freeze over. There was more than one time that I had to jump out while it was snowing and scrape off the lens covers. Annoying and TBH dangerous. It snows a little more here vs. Denver and I have not put in much winter driving in New Mexico on the 22 yet but I am anticipating that the lenses will freeze over like they did with the 18. Closing, while it can be a PIA when they do freeze over the other 350+ days of the year the LEDs are GREAT!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The Jeep is only the 2nd vehicle, of more than I can remember, that had leds. The northeast is part of the snow belt and typically it's a more wet packable snow, and regardless of light source, every recessed headlamp would inevitably accumulate snow to the point of blocking the light. Only difference I've encountered between recessed led and halogen, is the latter will melt the snow layer directly in front of the bulb but the rest of the lense won't defrost unless sitting still for a while with the lights on.

Non recessed lights don't create an air flow turbulence that gives the snow a chance to adhere to the lense. Also, how vertical or leaned back the headlamp is seems to be another factor in collecting snow. My previous vehicle was a Nissan Juke SL with led projector style headlamps that had about a 1/3 of the recess compared to the Jeep and were leaned back. I could drive that car for a lot longer than the Jeep before it collected enough to dim the lights.

Again, these are just my personal experiences over the years. I've done snow removal with heavy equipment since I was a young kid, so that has caused me to be onnthe roads during the beginning of the worst part of the storms. The bigger machines don't get deployed until the push plows start floundering.

Sponsored

JohnSarge

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sport S Sarge Green
I went with halogens for the reasons of easy replacement and not going out to my jeep to see someone had stolen my headlights

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
I went with the halogens. I think they look better. You can upgrade the bulbs if they aren't bright enough for you.

Really just hate the LED w/ halo style. Very 2005 diy vibes. Nothing against modded cars, but like colored underglow, it was cool a very long time ago... Not so cool anymore.

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
Ordered Jeep with halogens. Have since installed Oracle LED. I also installed LED DRLs, fogs, and taillights that I bought from folks on this forum. Don’t forget when you order LED package you get more than just headlights. I sure wish I had. !

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
there really is no comparison. LED's are brighter, cleaner light, safer, and just look better. My eyes don't focus as fast at night and LED's make a huge difference. I will never own another vehicle without LED headlights. My other car has HID and they are better than halogen but do not perform anywhere near the level of the LED.

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I opted for LEDs. Living in a rural area, they make a big difference in visibility at night. Especially in the winter when it gets darks before 4:30pm

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I went with halogens for the reasons of easy replacement and not going out to my jeep to see someone had stolen my headlights
I know that thefts of LED tail lights have been documented on this forum, but I don't recall reading about LED headlight thefts. It seems their recessed position would make them more difficult to pilfer without damaging them. Or is the plastic grill simply levered up from the bottom, in order to break it off and give easier access to the lights?

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
If you live in a place where you have to be concerned about your headlights being stolen, you're doing life wrong 😉

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Led headlight bulbs are cheap. Although I liked my LEDs in my JLR I’ll just replace the bulbs in my sport.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If you live in a place where you have to be concerned about your headlights being stolen, you're doing life wrong
That's a fair point. However, it does disregard the plain fact that neighborhoods can change, and that the legacy, law-abiding residents are often proscribed by [bad] laws from preventing that from occurring.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I know that thefts of LED tail lights have been documented on this forum, but I don't recall reading about LED headlight thefts. It seems their recessed position would make them more difficult to pilfer without damaging them. Or is the plastic grill simply levered up from the bottom, in order to break it off and give easier access to the lights?
I wouldn't even begin to know where to start looking for it, but a couple of years ago a member posted a pic of the damage done to steel his led headlamps. The scumbags grabbed the grill just outside of the light openings and ripped them forward. Both side were snapped and still hanging and the break line was vertical along the outer slot openings. F×cking animals!

Makes me thankful that I park close and have both insomnia and the willingness to put far more importance towards my material objects than the ability of a scumbag to process solid foods. :like:
Sponsored