Sponsored

LED Package vs Aftermarket LED Headlights

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
My Rubicon build is getting pricey. I'm thinking of omitting the LED headlight package to save some money. Down the road if I don't think the headlights are bright enough, I can buy some aftermarket LEDs for the main headlights.

Is this an OK way to go? Who makes the best aftermarket bulbs for the main headlights?

Hopefully the aftermarket ones are only a couple hundred dollars and I won't regret not getting the LED package. I do love the halo running lights, but it's an expensive shiny object!
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My Rubicon build is getting pricey. I'm thinking of omitting the LED headlight package to save some money. Down the road if I don't think the headlights are bright enough, I can buy some aftermarket LEDs for the main headlights.

Is this an OK way to go? Who makes the best aftermarket bulbs for the main headlights?

Hopefully the aftermarket ones are only a couple hundred dollars and I won't regret not getting the LED package. I do love the halo running lights, but it's an expensive shiny object!
My research from a year ago, caused me to conclude that the SV.4 bulbs were the best.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I would keep them. Oracle oculus are great aftermarket lights, but the factory LEDs are the best.

You’re already buying the most expensive trim (excluding the 392). I personally wouldn’t skimp out on the LEDs.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I installed the Morimoto 2 stroke v2 and didn't like them at all. Too blue/purple for me. I sent them back. I ended up with the SV.4 bulbs and they are a bit less purple and are brighter.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Your best bet is to check out the lighting section. Now that the JL is out for a while there’s a huge selection of 9” lights that you can switch out. Many of which are around $300 range and produce similar quality to OEM.

There are also forum sponsors that offer led lighting.

If you expand your search to older 7” lights w/ adapters you can pretty much select all the JK offerings.

Personally, I wouldn’t go with LED bulbs but there are members that have done so and are happy with them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I guess I could always throw a set of additional lights on the bumper. I always thought they looked cool mounted on there. Can they be wired to turn on and off with your high beams, or would you have to do some fancy switching to turn them off for an oncoming vehicle?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I guess I could always throw a set of additional lights on the bumper. I always thought they looked cool mounted on there.

Can they be wired to turn on and off with your high beams, or would you have to do some fancy switching to turn them off for an oncoming vehicle?
Configuring auxiliary lights to operate in conjunction with any other lights of your choosing is as simple as identifying the relevant wiring.

Before doing so, you might consider reviewing relevant State law; i.e., Montana's vehicle code. For example: In PA, forward-facing auxiliary lights (fog lights and the rest) may illuminate only when the vehicle's parking lights or low beam headlights are also illuminated. Aux. lights can not illuminate independently of any other lighting. Further, all aux. lighting must extinguish automatically when the high beams are activated.

The owner that tries to sneak in illegal lighting functionality, so to speak, may find the offending wires disconnected when the dealer tech tests the function of each set of lights during the annual State safety inspection.

So: save yourself some heartache by first determining what your State allows you to do in terms of modified vehicle lighting.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The secret to a great lighting system is a great low beam. You spend much more time with low beams on than any other.

There are a lot of aftermarket lights out there. They all have their pluses and minuses. Reliability is the single most important characteristic IMO. If it doesn't work, it doesn't matter how bright it was when it worked. The more connectors and components you add to a system, the less reliable it becomes. No aftermarket system, as it is installed, will have a lower failure rate than the OEM lights. Most of the aftermarket lights that have added connectors, have no weather protection of the connectors. Some require that you take other parts off to gain access to adjust the beam height. Some premium brand headlights have fallen apart internally from jarring or vibration.

I'd recommend you go with the factory LED. That's what I intend to put in mine.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I wouldn't get it without the factory LED group package. You'll get led fog lights, headlights, tail lights and front fender lights. Less hassle and don't have to worry about getting aftermarket programmed.

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
The secret to a great lighting system is a great low beam. You spend much more time with low beams on than any other.

There are a lot of aftermarket lights out there. They all have their pluses and minuses. Reliability is the single most important characteristic IMO. If it doesn't work, it doesn't matter how bright it was when it worked. The more connectors and components you add to a system, the less reliable it becomes. No aftermarket system, as it is installed, will have a lower failure rate than the OEM lights. Most of the aftermarket lights that have added connectors, have no weather protection of the connectors. Some require that you take other parts off to gain access to adjust the beam height. Some premium brand headlights have fallen apart internally from jarring or vibration.

I'd recommend you go with the factory LED. That's what I intend to put in mine.
I can't say that I spend more time on low beam than high beam. If I'm on a trip in the dark where I'm really concerned about lighting and accidents, I'm usually traveling through remote areas without much traffic at all. I'm not really worried about bright lights for around town where I will be on low beam. Traffic is a little different here. Dunno how that changes suggestions for lighting.

Thank you for the information.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
.... Dunno how that changes suggestions for lighting.

Thank you for the information.
It doesn't. Reliability, reliability, reliability. And nobody comes close to the OEM lights in reliability.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t skip on the LEDs. You will find you didn’t really save anything by the time you buy aftermarket LED headlamps, DRLs, fog lights and tail lights.

Don’t ask how I know...

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I wouldn’t skip on the LEDs. You will find you didn’t really save anything by the time you buy aftermarket LED headlamps, DRLs, fog lights and tail lights.

Don’t ask how I know...
I think I only really care about the headlights though.

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Throwing a light bar on it ought to light up the night :)

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I ordered mine with halogen for the same reason you are thinking, they’re charging too much for what they’re offering. I plan to gut the fender lights very soon so it was like paying extra for something to sit on a garage shelf. The oem led headlights are a good quality light but I wouldn’t say they’re the best as others are saying. The beam pattern on the oculus looks better and it has a sharper cutoff.
Sponsored