Sponsored

LED Package vs Aftermarket LED Headlights

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I guess I could always throw a set of additional lights on the bumper. I always thought they looked cool mounted on there. Can they be wired to turn on and off with your high beams, or would you have to do some fancy switching to turn them off for an oncoming vehicle?
Order the factory tow option for the AUX switches. The tow hitch and heavier duty electrical is just the bonus.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Throwing a light bar on it ought to light up the night :)
Sounds like that is a good option for you based on your other comments.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t until you realize the other lights look yellow next to the LED headlights.
Jeep has a headlight display at auto shows. The display has the halogens mounted right next to the factory LEDs. You can compare both side-by-side by presing a button for each to turn them on. The base halogens look like a gas lamp compared to the LED as far as brightness. Then there is the superior lens of the LEDs. The cut off is way superior.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you've all talked me into getting them. If I plan on driving this vehicle into the ground for decades, its worth it.

So if you swap to an aftermarket bumper, how does this change things with the fog lights? Can you move them to the new bumper easily?

Don't know what bumper I could want really, but the full width warn one is very nice and seemingly not to expensive.
The last thing you want is regret after buying a $60K+ Wrangler. What's a additional $1500 for LEDs or so if you plan on driving it into the ground. Probably way less then a cup of coffee a day.

Have you considered the steel bumper from the factory?

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Configuring auxiliary lights to operate in conjunction with any other lights of your choosing is as simple as identifying the relevant wiring.

Before doing so, you might consider reviewing relevant State law; i.e., Montana's vehicle code. For example: In PA, forward-facing auxiliary lights (fog lights and the rest) may illuminate only when the vehicle's parking lights or low beam headlights are also illuminated. Aux. lights can not illuminate independently of any other lighting. Further, all aux. lighting must extinguish automatically when the high beams are activated.

The owner that tries to sneak in illegal lighting functionality, so to speak, may find the offending wires disconnected when the dealer tech tests the function of each set of lights during the annual State safety inspection.

So: save yourself some heartache by first determining what your State allows you to do in terms of modified vehicle lighting.
It would be safe to bet that it would be difficult to find a PA inspection station that would fail you on that. If they did fail you on it, then they would call you and ask, "We will need to disconnect the aux lights so it'll pass state inspection. Do you want us to do it or do you want to do it yourself?" Thus you have 30 days to fix the problem and thus go back and get it reinspected for the offending item for free.

By my experience in PA, lighting is a really low priority for inspections and the police pulling you over. As long as all of the lights work, then that is a "pass". Same can be said for wheels sticking out from the fender wells. Honestly, for the whopping $82 for safety and emissions, a shop is not going to spend a few hours nitpicking the vehicle to death. Instead you would rather go after the items like exhaust, suspension, brakes and tires. When shops charge $130-$150/hr labor, you can pretty much determine they will spend maybe 30 minutes for the safety and then spend another 20 minutes going through the state emissions machine. As you can see, safety and emissions are a set state price and thus you can see how much time is spent for your inspection.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Little known fact: when you buy the Mopar steel bumper as an accessory through the dealer parts dept., it comes with the LED fog lights and the red hooks already mounted.

The pair of Mopar LED fogs are $500 if you get them by themselves. So, if you plan on uprading your front lights to LEDs and on getting the Mopar steel bumper, don't double pay for the fog lights and save yourself $500.

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
The last thing you want is regret after buying a $60K+ Wrangler. What's a additional $1500 for LEDs or so if you plan on driving it into the ground. Probably way less then a cup of coffee a day.

Have you considered the steel bumper from the factory?
I think the after market ones look cooler. Also not 100% sure I'll add a winch. I envision it being an easy upgrade down the road if desired.

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
It would be safe to bet that it would be difficult to find a PA inspection station that would fail you on that. If they did fail you on it, then they would call you and ask, "We will need to disconnect the aux lights so it'll pass state inspection. Do you want us to do it or do you want to do it yourself?" Thus you have 30 days to fix the problem and thus go back and get it reinspected for the offending item for free.

By my experience in PA, lighting is a really low priority for inspections and the police pulling you over. As long as all of the lights work, then that is a "pass". Same can be said for wheels sticking out from the fender wells. Honestly, for the whopping $82 for safety and emissions, a shop is not going to spend a few hours nitpicking the vehicle to death. Instead you would rather go after the items like exhaust, suspension, brakes and tires. When shops charge $130-$150/hr labor, you can pretty much determine they will spend maybe 30 minutes for the safety and then spend another 20 minutes going through the state emissions machine. As you can see, safety and emissions are a set state price and thus you can see how much time is spent for your inspection.
Montana doesn't have inspections. I've seen vehicles driving around with 2x12s for bumpers (ratchet strapped on) and vehicles driving around with no hoods. Heck, we just got speed limits not too long ago :CWL:

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi x 2, 2009 JKU Rubi and 1981 CJ7 Rubiwannabe
I went with after market bulb from Beamtech, if you search there is a review I did on the bulb. I have been pleased with them going on two years now. 40 buck give or take. No regrets yet.

FWIW

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Montana doesn't have inspections. I've seen vehicles driving around with 2x12s for bumpers (ratchet strapped on) and vehicles driving around with no hoods. Heck, we just got speed limits not too long ago :CWL:
Even though we got inspections, I have seen green headlights on vehicles. So, it's pretty much what you want to go after to pull someone over. From what I've seen, if you want to drive around drunk or smoke pot to high heavens, then run around in a bone stock vehicle. Do all of the goofy stuff I see and thus, you are literally asking the cops to pull you over if they suspect anything.

I seen this growing up in St. Louis and Bob Chandler lived down the street. Thus I seen the mega lifted trucks back in the 70's. That brought upon bumper laws which were strictly enforced in St. Louis County. Now it's pretty much a combination of things. A Civic that is dragging the ground or a Bulldogging F150. It's all over the map today. I think a hoodless vehicle today would be considered a classic. Especially if you had a "Hooker Headers" sticker on it. Thus, it gets respect.

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Even though we got inspections, I have seen green headlights on vehicles. So, it's pretty much what you want to go after to pull someone over. From what I've seen, if you want to drive around drunk or smoke pot to high heavens, then run around in a bone stock vehicle. Do all of the goofy stuff I see and thus, you are literally asking the cops to pull you over if they suspect anything.

I seen this growing up in St. Louis and Bob Chandler lived down the street. Thus I seen the mega lifted trucks back in the 70's. That brought upon bumper laws which were strictly enforced in St. Louis County. Now it's pretty much a combination of things. A Civic that is dragging the ground or a Bulldogging F150. It's all over the map today. I think a hoodless vehicle today would be considered a classic. Especially if you had a "Hooker Headers" sticker on it. Thus, it gets respect.
Pretty sure the hoodless vehicle I saw was an Escalade. Lol

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You have bumpers?

Just kidding, I have the factory LED's and they are great. I had the KC 7" Gravity Pro's in my JK and they were better.

There isnt much of a cost savings if you get quality lights and change everything.

That said, if I lived somewhere it snowed alot, I would want heated LED's. Oculus makes them, also JW Speaker for quadratec.

https://www.kchilites.com/gravity-led-pro-jeep-jl-jt-7-headlight-pair-pack-system-dot-compliant.html

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee