LED vs halogen OEM housing bucket

Radavi01

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Anyone know if the OEM Halogen vs. LED headlight housings (or buckets) are exactly the same? Size, connector holes, and everything else?

I am trying to fix 3 broken tabs on an OEM LED headlight. To do that, I want to buy a cheap halogen light just for the bucket, then swap my LED setup directly over to the halogen headlight housing. My plan will only work if both housings are identical.

I will post the results of this experiment. Cheap way to fix broken headlight tab if it works.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
the mounts are different between the OEM Halogen & LED. the headlights themselves have different mounting tabs / ears whatever you want to call them.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

the mounts are different between the OEM Halogen & LED. the headlights themselves have different mounting tabs / ears whatever you want to call them.
They are not different. People install OEM LED headlights in JLs that came with halogens without issue. There’s nothing to add, remove or replace.

In addition, aftermarket LED headlights can be installed in place of OEM halogen or LED headlights without issue.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
They are not different. People install OEM LED headlights in JLs that came with halogens without issue. There’s nothing to add, remove or replace.

In addition, aftermarket LED headlights can be installed in place of OEM halogen or LED headlights without issue.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

jludave is correct, my apologies.

the fog lights have different mounts. That is what i was referring to. You were asking about headlights.

senior moment on my part.

be aware that the harness is different between the halogen & lead headlights though. I do not know the specific differences, but When you buy the mopar led headlight kit for conversion it includes a new wiring harness

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

be aware that the harness is different between the halogen & lead headlights though. I do not know the specific differences, but When you buy the mopar led headlight kit for conversion it includes a new wiring harness
The harness difference accounts for the halo DRLs in the OEM headlights.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The harness difference accounts for the halo DRLs in the OEM headlights.
^^^ this!

The mounting brackets are the same.

The wiring connectors plug into either lamp, but the halogen harnesses are missing the wiring for the LED halos.
Sponsored