Headlight and Fog Light Bulb Replacement

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
For those of us without the LED head/fog lights, how do we go about replacing the light bulbs? I assume we shouldn't have to pull the entire headlight assembly just to change out the bulb, right? It seems for the fogs, that the euro-inspired fender extenders would have to be removed?
Sponsored

OP
OP

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
does it make sense to put LED bulbs in the headlights, if so, what brand is recommended?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You have to remove 6 plastic push rivets along the top of the grille. This is easy with a flat blade screwdriver or trim tool. Then, carefully snap the lower portion of the grille out (there are several metal clips at the bottom that will pop out). This may be a little tough the first time you remove it. But that's all there is to it...the grille comes off in 60 seconds.

Then, each headlight assembly has 3 bolts that are 10mm bolts. Remove those, slide the housing out enough to disconnect the wiring harness, and take the headlight to your work bench. Twist the rear moisture cover counter clockwise 1/4 turn and it'll pop off, which gives you access to the bulb inside.

The entire job is actually very simple. I am using the CrystaLux LED bulb kit from 4x4truckleds.com and I would put these up against any $600 LED aftermarket kit out there.

Note: When you install LED bulbs into the halogen housings, you'll have to neatly tuck the balast/power supply and wiring down into the housing so you can reinstall the moisture cap on the back of the housing and keep water and spiders out of your lights.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
You have to remove 6 plastic push rivets along the top of the grille. This is easy with a flat blade screwdriver or trim tool. Then, carefully snap the lower portion of the grille out (there are several metal clips at the bottom that will pop out). This may be a little tough the first time you remove it. But that's all there is to it...the grille comes off in 60 seconds.

Then, each headlight assembly has 3 bolts that are 10mm bolts. Remove those, slide the housing out enough to disconnect the wiring harness, and take the headlight to your work bench. Twist the rear moisture cover counter clockwise 1/4 turn and it'll pop off, which gives you access to the bulb inside.

The entire job is actually very simple. I am using the CrystaLux LED bulb kit from 4x4truckleds.com and I would put these up against any $600 LED aftermarket kit out there.

Note: When you install LED bulbs into the halogen housings, you'll have to neatly tuck the balast/power supply and wiring down into the housing so you can reinstall the moisture cap on the back of the housing and keep water and spiders out of your lights.
Any night time road pics or any other ones you care to share?

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
does it make sense to put LED bulbs in the headlights, if so, what brand is recommended?
You have to be careful because the halogen lights are reflector based. Putting in whatever light bulb you find can cause other drivers to be blinded when driving towards them. Best bet is to wait for a good projector based LED headlight. With those you can adjust the cutoff of the headlight

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are definitely going to be blinding people. Thats like driving with your high beams on all the time!
They look like to me they have a factory cutoff. They wont blind anyone.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
They look like to me they have a factory cutoff. They wont blind anyone.
Maybe Im wrong, but the cutoff isnt supposed to be 10 feet in the air or more. Pretty sure there is a reason you're not supposed to put LED bulbs into a halogen projector.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe Im wrong, but the cutoff isnt supposed to be 10 feet in the air or more. Pretty sure there is a reason you're not supposed to put LED bulbs into a halogen projector.
Ya know, it’s not my Jeep but a shot of these at a garage doesn’t look like it’s 10 feet in the air. Looks like a descent cut off to me. ‍

60D2C794-CE53-4879-89C1-686E9CB5A07E.png

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just my recollection from being on the HID Planet forum over the years, photos of beam patterns on walls are not always revealing of spurious stray light above the cutoff. The ability to detect those stray beams in a photo is dependent on exposure settings of the camera and then is very subjective. If actual light measurements were taken in the area above the cutoff, that would be a more definitive method. My recollection was that someone on the HID Planet forum, possibly TRS themselves, did a test with real measurement equipment which was done to show that a HID bulb in a common reflector housing produced significant increases in stray light above the cutoff, which is perceived as glare by oncoming drivers. The wall photos didn't show the stray light as particularly significant or show at all.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
You are definitely going to be blinding people. Thats like driving with your high beams on all the time!
Those are the high beams in that video. And if you can't see the extremely sharp cutoff at the top of the light pattern in the footage after 6:11 in that video then you need to visit an optometrist.

I've had those bulbs for over a year now, and I've used them in a F-150 and a Wrangler JL and I never get flashed by oncoming traffic. Keep in mind that there are even better bulbs than these out now, such as the Supernova V.4s that are even brighter and have an even tighter beam pattern than these do.

LED + Halogen housings are the way to go for the best and safest light output for the money.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Did anyone have trouble removing their Sport grilles? I removed the plastic fasteners on top and popped the bottom clips. The grille seems to be connected in two other places that is hard to access and can't be popped. I have a '19 Sport. Could the attach points be different than the '18s?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Did anyone have trouble removing their Sport grilles? I removed the plastic fasteners on top and popped the bottom clips. The grille seems to be connected in two other places that is hard to access and can't be popped. I have a '19 Sport. Could the attach points be different than the '18s?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Pull straight out, and pull hard. Make damn sure you pulled all the plastics rivets out of the top first, but that’s all there is holding it on.
Sponsored